Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3137 3138 [3139] 3140 3141 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4202983 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #47070 on: December 01, 2021, 05:46:53 pm »

A lot of traffic accidents are honestly because american city planning is almost as hellish as possible.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47071 on: December 01, 2021, 05:50:56 pm »

It would be nice if we had the same regulations for guns as we do cars. You need a license gotten through a test. It must have a title  that is sold, and not the gun itself. An organization like the DMV knows who has what guns. They must be ID'd so they can be easily distinguished from one another. Inspections must be carried out on them periodically. Having while intoxicated is illegal. etc.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #47072 on: December 01, 2021, 06:14:53 pm »

Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)

I believe dragdeler's point is more along the lines of "this is a false dichotomy."

We can work on mental health (and economic equity, which can't be overstated) while also making it harder to get a gun - there's no reason one is the enemy of the other.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47073 on: December 01, 2021, 07:25:16 pm »

-
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 01:38:00 pm by dragdeler »
let

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47074 on: December 01, 2021, 09:37:09 pm »

I'm just sad that it's going to be more noise about guns instead of focusing on the deeper mental health and general worldview issues (dehumanizing others, putting self above others, et cetera.)

"Hahaha. I hit 'em."

"Oh yeah, look at those dead bastards."

"Look at that. Right through the windshield."

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47075 on: December 01, 2021, 09:52:04 pm »

Sorry I was just musing on the fact that humans are irrational creatures and don't have a good sense of the "size" of social problems.  The way people react to tragedies is not correlated to their absolute impact - only on the "sensationalism." 

I mean even the definition of "tragedy" is suspect - it's just what a given culture considers as "usual" versus "exceptional".  What one culture considers a tragedy another may consider as "eh, it happens."

Spoiler: snark (click to show/hide)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47076 on: December 01, 2021, 10:06:40 pm »

Yeah, Road Rage is serious mental health issue... but it seems to only get worse when you add guns to the mix: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/16860744/florida-pregnant-librarian-killed-andrew-derr/
(I guess in best 'murica this is just "eh, it happens."  But it does beg the question.)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47077 on: December 01, 2021, 11:18:45 pm »

yeah, that's why americans favor automatic transmissions, give you a free hand to hold your gun with.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47078 on: December 02, 2021, 02:12:09 am »

Also, looks like they are pondering killing Roe v Wade, so I will be pondering leaving the country.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #47079 on: December 02, 2021, 02:38:38 am »

yeah, that's why americans favor automatic transmissions, give you a free hand to hold your gun with.

I heard you could buy some parts from a magazine to make it fully automatic.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47080 on: December 02, 2021, 08:56:55 am »

So as much as I incite conversation, we're feeling the effects of Oxford here locally (it was in the county next to mine); there have been enough new threats to other schools in the surrounding districts that most of the districts (including mine) have cancelled school today.

Forget about the debates about gun control or cars or whatever.  My personal struggle is I just can't comprehend what causes people to choose to act this way.   Especially when it's kids - what can cause a kid to be so disenfranchised so they value the life of others - and their own life - so little? Where are their parents and supporting friends? How can I help my own kids deal with the fears this brings up? How can I help them be the kind of people that make friends with the outcasts?

Same thing with Roe v Wade stuff* - if only the issue was only about life and death of future children, or only about women's rights.  But because those things are linked by biology, we get a complicated mess where some political groups focus only on "what about the babies!" and don't consider the impact anti-abortion laws have on women, and other political groups focus only on "what about the women!" which has their own (more subtly dangerous, in my opinion) impacts on worldview and social structures.  I think both views are missing the point - you can't sacrifice the rights of women or the rights of future people.

This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47081 on: December 02, 2021, 09:07:00 am »

Also, looks like they are pondering killing Roe v Wade, so I will be pondering leaving the country.

That's why people elected Biden: to kill off any talk of workers' rights, end Roe v Wade, and be as racist and more LGBTQ-phobic as Trump but talk nicer and be more capable of doing something about it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #47082 on: December 02, 2021, 09:21:20 am »

The implication is generally not "but only the children we want to have", though. Pro-choice folks mostly want to do everything possible to reduce the burdens of pregnancy and parenting to the point abortions only occur when medically necessary -- the end point and goal for them are children when you're as ready as possible (full and easy contraception access, sex ed worth a shit), that won't cripple you (better and ubiquitously accessible maternal medical care both pre- and post- natal) or leave you on the streets/your career permanently derailed (full throated state support for parents and childcare, worker protections for parents and especially the mothers wildly disproportionately impacted by pregnancy).

There's not a dissonance between "stop fucking people over now" and "don't fuck things up for people in the future", y'know?

Meanwhile we're seeing what the other side of that particular aisle wants to do, and it has absolutely nothing to do with protecting children, especially once they're out of the womb ::)
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #47083 on: December 02, 2021, 09:31:16 am »

Frumple said what I would, more or less.

As some others have also said, it's accurate to describe many pro-lifers as "pro-birth" instead, since there's often little desire to do anything to help poor mothers with children they can't afford to have.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47084 on: December 02, 2021, 09:54:52 am »

Yeah the "pro-life" crowd is a mess.

Of course, all of humanity is a mess, so I'm not sure if that provides any new insight  :-\
Pages: 1 ... 3137 3138 [3139] 3140 3141 ... 3566