Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3129 3130 [3131] 3132 3133 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4204359 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #46950 on: November 22, 2021, 02:41:32 pm »

These days you can also just sprinkle whatever bogeyman phrases you want to when describing something if your goal is to rile people up.  You could, for example, say the driver was paid off by George Soros as part of his War on Christmas if you wanted to rekindle popular talking points from a couple of years ago.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46951 on: November 22, 2021, 03:41:29 pm »

Pff please, its obviously the 5G mafia.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46952 on: November 22, 2021, 04:21:59 pm »

Pff please, its obviously the 5G mafia.
How else are you going to get Mobile Internet? They've got a data offer you can't refuse!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #46953 on: November 22, 2021, 06:04:10 pm »

There are alredy rumors on the web the driver is a BLM member and that it was not an accident but a deliverated attack.

Beware that right-wing propoganda.

It's likely it was someone who was at BLM protests, I think tons of people around Kenosha and Milwaukee were out protesting. Whichever side of the protests is up in the air, but rumor mills gotta spin, right?

I can only imagine this person was drunk or, if they were fleeing a knife assault, losing blood rapidly and passing out behind the wheel. Not honking is pretty wild if it wasn't an intentional attack.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46954 on: November 22, 2021, 06:12:16 pm »

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46955 on: November 22, 2021, 06:22:40 pm »

Well, well, well, who would believe that someone that rams a truck into a children's parade is actually a worthless piece of shit. That guy should not have been free, just like that kid should not have walked away scott free... your judicial system is a joke. Not that mine is better, is actually non-existant mostly but wow...how  was tha guy allowed a bail at all after the first assault against a mother and a kid.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #46956 on: November 22, 2021, 06:43:45 pm »

Hah, excellent framing on the "The World is Plugged Into Our Town" mural- that's Discount Liquor, if you can see through the streetlamp. Great store.

In a way, terrorism would make more sense. Guy was just... Angry, if the Times is correct. Angry and violent, like a human tornado carving an SUV-sized wake of destruction across so many lives. You can't predict something like this, it's not an inspired attack.

An angry human tornado from half an hour down the road and no personal connection to anyone in the parade, though...?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46957 on: November 22, 2021, 06:54:43 pm »

We can predict things like this, because most "random" violence is preceded by domestic offences.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46958 on: November 22, 2021, 06:55:32 pm »

That previous violence was
Brooks posted the bail on November 11 in relation to charges including domestic abuse. The charges stemmed from a November 2 incident in which Brooks is accused of running over a woman with his car while she was walking through a gas station parking lot, according to a criminal complaint.

"Officers observed tire tracks on her left pants leg," the criminal complaint read.

So, he allegedly has done this before.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46959 on: November 22, 2021, 07:10:25 pm »

You can't predict them without a precedent. When there's precedent you have data to extrapolate.

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46960 on: November 22, 2021, 10:26:28 pm »

Thanks for the correction, Vec- you're right, this doesn't come out of a vacuum. If I may reorient my thoughts- I don't know if it could be predicted to take this shape. Maybe that's a cop-out, too, I'm not well read about patterns of violence.

But, well, as the Times/Zius points out, well, he did try to run down a woman. Perhaps 'parade' isn't as unfathomable a leap as my mind makes it out to be. I find the whole thing hard to grok and I have no expertise to judge. It's just, well, still close to home. Hardly credentials for a seat at the table, but, well.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46961 on: November 22, 2021, 11:04:23 pm »

How many people involved in a single serious vehicular incident go on (outwith the continuing aftermath) to compound this with further incidents, though, and how many never get the taste for it?

I suspect most people never intentionally put themselves in the same position again a week or two later. Very very few of the cohort will decide they like what they did and (the long arm of the law being successfully avoided) become serial offenders with a repeating MO.

Disentangling the factors and idealised distribution is tricky, though. About the only certain thing is that a repeat offender's second crime was preceded by a first, and that doesn't help (on its own[1]) define how many initial crimes get followed by such potential recidivism.

[1] Sorry, just so fresh in my easily-amused mind. This was not started as a "there's a comic for that..." comment.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 11:06:26 pm by Starver »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46962 on: November 22, 2021, 11:29:43 pm »

I find the whole thing hard to grok and I have no expertise to judge. It's just, well, still close to home. Hardly credentials for a seat at the table, but, well.

It certainly is adequate credentials. You're a Michiganer?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #46963 on: November 22, 2021, 11:32:39 pm »

None is from Wisconsin. I believe hector is too. Most of Wisconsin lives in Madison and Milwaukee - Waukesha is more or less a suburb of Milwaukee.

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46964 on: November 22, 2021, 11:51:59 pm »

Nah, 'bout half an hour out from Waukesha, give or take childhood or presently- proper 'Sconnie' as far foreigners might say. Pretty sure driver's ed took me down main street over there so many years ago, used to think the tight roads and occasional one-way streets were a nightmarish snarl, haha. Took a girlfriend to the gelato shop down that main stretch once after a meal at People's Park, another date to coffee and the antique stores off that same main street. There's nifty guitar sculptures with shattered glass on the body of it shaped like the state; I used an artsy shot reflected in one for my instagram profile picture back when 'where I came from' mattered a little more to me.

Nice place, though frequently sociopolitically backwards (and quite indicative of the bigoted rot that's festering behind the facsimile of midwestern friendliness). No shortage of ghosts of my past haunting it- heartbreak turns the nostalgia to acid, if I ruminate too long.

'Bout the only saving grace I have is that I didn't go to school there, so the rattling is less about that particular school marching band getting run over.
Pages: 1 ... 3129 3130 [3131] 3132 3133 ... 3566