Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3069 3070 [3071] 3072 3073 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4206343 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #46050 on: August 20, 2021, 09:38:12 am »

No-one has to go to school.
Without attempting translation of my own, to see if this was meant, it'd surely be "No-one does not have to go to school" or "No-one is forbidden...".

Right now it's just the single-negative, rather than the double one that makes more sense in the literal/Polyphemian context.

I added a footnote about it in my post but edited it out.

We don't have double negatives as a style form in dutch, but yeah, I do think you are correct and it should be a double negative in english.

No-One is forbidden to go to school is even better. Will edit it in.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 09:40:26 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46051 on: August 20, 2021, 10:11:52 am »

Nice poem.

Meanwhile in factual news this video from yesterday shows girls attending a school in Herat - without a burqa in sight.

https://news.yahoo.com/afghan-girls-return-school-herat-130507056.html

While I am sure this is a 'showpiece' video there have been reports of similar things happening in other parts of the country.  The pertinent question seems to be 'how widespread?' rather than 'if?'.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46052 on: August 20, 2021, 11:32:03 am »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 06:21:06 am by dragdeler »
let

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #46053 on: August 20, 2021, 01:24:56 pm »

They ran out of buttery males and never found the steal, this is just the next element of ethereal proof to clutch at so they can keep thinking The Big One is coming soon.

Kinda reminds me of every predicted apocalypse, and how the next one is perpetually just around the corner, or how the Qanon cult keeps proclaiming that the reinstatement/mass incarceration/police state/whatever will happen any day now.

Aaaaany day now.

Look, it's in the laptop, okay?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46054 on: August 20, 2021, 01:43:34 pm »

I made the same comparison to some idiot friends of mine who like to indulge in conspiracy theories to inform their political beliefs.

Literally said "You guys are being played as hard as the people who donate to Doomsday Prophets, who keep saying the end of the world is next year then move the goal posts when it inevitably doesn't happen."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46055 on: August 20, 2021, 03:23:30 pm »

Nice poem.

Meanwhile in factual news this video from yesterday shows girls attending a school in Herat - without a burqa in sight.

https://news.yahoo.com/afghan-girls-return-school-herat-130507056.html

While I am sure this is a 'showpiece' video there have been reports of similar things happening in other parts of the country.  The pertinent question seems to be 'how widespread?' rather than 'if?'.
I don't know if that initial snark is warranted when you acknowledge that this is a showpiece.

The question isn't 'if', it's "how long will they wait before they enforce their deeply held convictions on every woman and girl in their territory?"  The answer is that they'll wait for the news cycle to shift, and no longer.  Their goals are not secret.

The only thing forcing them to hesitate is that they want recognition and trade with other nations.  But plenty of nations get that while committing horrific human rights abuses.  They merely need to wait a little while for the heat to die down.  That is literally all that is happening - they consider women and little girls to be property, they have waged a long and bloody war over that, and they WILL enforce that as soon as it is financially expedient.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #46056 on: August 20, 2021, 10:13:55 pm »

Far as I'm aware not a single person more credible than a tortiseshell cat's left nut has confirmed the existence (especially as actually being hunter's) or contents of the purported machine to the general public. Meanwhile this latest crap from a UK tabloid puts the lost hunter biden laptop count at, what, three, four? More? The number seems to grow every time there's a slow news day.

Because they aren't actually interested in doing so, since many of them declared it Russian disinformation early on without any evidence. Meanwhile, we get a slow trickle of content that was clearly stored somewhere, long after it has any effect on Joe's electability (especially considering the recent fiasco.)

It's at three, to my knowledge. #1 was left at the repair shop, had copies of the hard drive made and given to Guiliani, Daily Caller, etc., while the laptop itself is probably held by the FBI. #2 seized by the FBI with warrant related to ongoing tax investigation? #3 alleged by Hunter to have been stolen by Russian drug dealers.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 10:27:27 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46057 on: August 21, 2021, 09:54:43 am »

I don't know if that initial snark is warranted when you acknowledge that this is a showpiece.

The question isn't 'if', it's "how long will they wait before they enforce their deeply held convictions on every woman and girl in their territory?"  The answer is that they'll wait for the news cycle to shift, and no longer.  Their goals are not secret.

The only thing forcing them to hesitate is that they want recognition and trade with other nations.  But plenty of nations get that while committing horrific human rights abuses.  They merely need to wait a little while for the heat to die down.  That is literally all that is happening - they consider women and little girls to be property, they have waged a long and bloody war over that, and they WILL enforce that as soon as it is financially expedient.

It's not snark.  It is a nice poem.  Very moving and evocative.

As to your far-reaching speculation we will have to wait and see.  In the meantime the facts on the ground remain relevant, at least to some.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46058 on: August 21, 2021, 07:06:32 pm »

Far as I'm aware not a single person more credible than a tortiseshell cat's left nut
Just in case others weren't aware of this, calico genes are HEAVILY female linked, like I can't say there are 0 male tortoiseshell calico cats because genes is weird... but I would be unsurprised to learn the total number is in fact 0.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46059 on: August 21, 2021, 07:59:03 pm »

Males are rare, usually sterile, and I think happens when they hav XXY chromosomes or chimerism. Also "tortoiseshell" and "calico" are just fur patterns not breeds. So, saying tortoiseshells are untrustworthy is racist which technically makes this post on topic.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46060 on: August 21, 2021, 10:04:39 pm »

Eh, racist isn't really the right word, as the connection between race as humans generally use the term and phenotype expression is pretty damn tenuous at the end of the day. Not really sure what the closest term from general parlance would be, though...

... tortiseshells aren't untrustworthy, anyway, just the existence of their testicles.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 10:06:24 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46061 on: August 22, 2021, 05:12:57 am »

Let me just give you some hard earned advice. If testicle starts talking to you, don't listen to it.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #46062 on: August 22, 2021, 05:18:41 am »

I dunno, testicles have been very reliable thus far

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #46064 on: August 22, 2021, 11:02:18 am »

Pages: 1 ... 3069 3070 [3071] 3072 3073 ... 3566