Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3003 3004 [3005] 3006 3007 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4215569 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #45060 on: May 13, 2021, 03:36:09 am »

I heard about a week ago there may possibly be a big political announcement sometime today; something I may possibly be interested in supporting locally, for a time. Not like liberals are getting the rural county I live in anytime soon, and I too go out to mingle with and befriend the people of the area in less pandemic-y times.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 03:40:23 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #45061 on: May 13, 2021, 09:25:52 am »

You, uh, want to clarify that at all? The liberals are coming?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #45062 on: May 13, 2021, 10:06:49 pm »

Lol no I had heard quite the opposite about a week ago. Anti-Trumper Republicans were supposed to make some sort of announcement the day after Liz Cheney was removed from leadership, but I guess they chickened out. I had hoped it was a plan to form a coalition to defeat the Cheatos or however that deserved disparagement is spelled. That's something I could support despite my many political differences due to my area of residence being firmly controlled by conservatives. Thus I would be willing to support an anti-Trump coalition for a while as to me it would be more like supporting democracy against an authoritarian movement. My (large traditionally Catholic) family used to lean conservative, now there are only a few cousins and a couple uncles who do, and they all DESPISE the orange demagogue.

EDIT: Mispelled Demagogue
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 11:51:19 pm by Duuvian »

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #45064 on: May 15, 2021, 08:12:46 am »

It's sad that America's Least Favorite Mayor didn't narrow it down enough for me to be sure this was about de Blasio

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #45065 on: May 15, 2021, 10:48:00 am »

In perpetuating the stereotype, the Mississippi legislature proves itself to be incapable of futureproofing its bills. The Mississippi Supreme Court has struck down the latest cannabis ballot initiative as unconstitutional on the basis that it is mathematically impossible for an initiative to satisfy the criteria in order to end up on the ballot.

Quote from: Mississippi Constitution §273(3)
The people reserve unto themselves the power to propose and enact constitutional amendments by initiative An initiative to amend the Constitution may be proposed by a petition signed over a twelve-month period by qualified electors equal in number to at least twelve percent (12%) of the votes for all candidates for Governor in the last gubernatorial election. The signatures of the qualified electors from any congressional district shall not exceed one-fifth (1/5) of the total number of signatures required to qualify an initiative petition for placement upon the ballot. If an initiative petition contains signatures from a single congressional district which exceed one-fifth (1/5) of the total number of required signatures, the excess number of signatures from that congressional district shall not be considered by the Secretary of State in determining whether the petition qualifies for placement on the ballot.
[sic]

In other words, no congressional district can provide more than 20% towards the number of signatures required. Since 2000, Mississippi has only had four congressional districts. Any ballot initiative that has passed since 2000 can now be challenged as unconstitutional, including Initiative 27 that made Voter ID a requirement.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 03:25:43 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45066 on: May 15, 2021, 12:19:15 pm »

So...  Every ballot initiative is technically impossible because their stupid state constitution is so restrictive it's accidentally impossible to propose initiatives...

So the state's Supreme Court specifically went after the cannabis initiative on those grounds :think:

Constitutional Originalism is downright stupid at the best of times, but they're usually at least a little subtle about the social agendas they're 100% pushing.  Dishonest, manipulative [legislators].
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #45067 on: May 15, 2021, 03:39:47 pm »

More precisely, it was the mayor of the city of Madison that went after it.

This was, to my knowledge, the first time the mathematical impossibility was used as an argument. Also, the ruling was less originalist and more textualist. An originalist would probably have ruled in the other direction.

Still, an originalist ruling would have been a monumental example of legislating from the bench. How would you reconcile the massive difference between the letter of the law and the effect of the ruling? It's not like they're correcting a typo.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #45068 on: May 15, 2021, 06:51:53 pm »

Can anyone explain to me why the US, almost always, blocks any motion to discuss the ongoings of the Palestine-Israel crises in the UN all the time?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #45069 on: May 15, 2021, 07:03:51 pm »

Can anyone explain to me why the US, almost always, blocks any motion to discuss the ongoings of the Palestine-Israel crises in the UN all the time?
The US is largely pro-Isreal, and if there are serious discussions on the Palestine-Isreal crises then there will be motions against Isreal, which the US is against. Or at least so goes my guess.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45070 on: May 15, 2021, 08:55:46 pm »

Pretty much. The why of the favor for the nation varies wildly -- a great deal of the support actually comes from outright anti-semites, ferex, who want Israel to exist solely so it can be destroyed -- but pretty staunch support is one of the more bipartisan issues in the US, at this point.

That might be eroding somewhat, but it hasn't actually done so to a meaningful degree, yet.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45071 on: May 15, 2021, 10:10:41 pm »

It's a money sink for our bloated military budget, so obviously it cannot end.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45072 on: May 15, 2021, 10:24:00 pm »

but guys isn't isreal super suspicious like why are they making it so showy to mention that the country is real kinda makes me feel like the country isn't real
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 10:30:08 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #45073 on: May 16, 2021, 12:24:44 am »

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/5/15/palestinian-death-toll-in-gaza-occupied-west-bank-mounts-live-news

Of interest to me:

7 hours ago (21:35 GMT)
US Senate Foreign Relations Committee: There must be a full accounting for civilian deaths

Spoiler: text (click to show/hide)

7 hours ago (21:48 GMT)
Al-Aqsa Mosque is our ‘red line’: Hamas chief

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So while I agree that Israel has a right to defend itself, which seems to be the only position the US administration has taken so far, does it's leader also have the right to, seemingly purposefully and quite possibly with the full knowledge of creating a conflagration, instigate civil conflict at a time when it may extend his time in power and potentially keep him from facing corruption charges? A worrying trend, and a mildly ironic stance for the Biden administration to take on one man's selfish leadership considering Biden's own predecessor.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/5/15/give-us-10-minutes-how-israel-bombed-gaza-media-tower

The following is a bit of an old link I think, also a small warning that while it's https, the images are flagged as potentially unsecure (likely due to being an older article; on that note things are likely to have changed in some ways since then and I'd welcome clarifications on that on how this could be justified)

https://casebook.icrc.org/case-study/protection-journalists
Spoiler: Conclusion (click to show/hide)

Hamas are butts for defying humanitarian protections, as it would be unfair to not recognize this too. It's not all about the Benjamin.

I think it may take parallel elections with candidates who run on working together towards an agreement that perhaps neither side loves but may tolerate in the interest of not being compelled to lifelong enmity or at least, occasional violence towards one another; and publics willing to support such a push should the opportunity come.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 12:48:53 am by Duuvian »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45074 on: May 16, 2021, 09:30:53 am »

A lot of the issue is, Palestinians have been fighting against genocide and apartheid for 70 years. Few if any Palestinians living today remember any time that Israel wasn't warcriming them. When you're in a fight for survival, a peaceful version of status quo is just you being killed slower, and is unacceptable. They've agreed to peace before, and got nothing out of it. They've also learned that as long as the US and other right-wing regimes are on the UN security council, they will never be able to trust help from the UN. At this point, it would be literal suicide for them to accept they're being offered. Hamas isn't the solution, but neither is allowing Israel to continue killing them off and keeping them as a permanent underclass.

A lot of the issue is the UN Security Council, which is where nations who are more equal than others get to refuse to accept solutions that don't let them profit off the suffering of others. Removing it entirely so the UN is actually able to do what they're supposed to would help.
Pages: 1 ... 3003 3004 [3005] 3006 3007 ... 3566