Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2968 2969 [2970] 2971 2972 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4222688 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #44535 on: March 25, 2021, 03:18:54 am »

Wait, all I read about this lady was that her dad was a pedo and she was bizarrely loyal to her dad. Where is the bit where she's a pedo too?

Re: abuse and pedophilia - from what I've managed to research without being driven to murderous rage, a majority of child sexual abuse, like all sexual abuse, is power-driven rather than say, lust. There are people out there who are attracted to "the child form" and there are people who sexually abuse kids. Those two groups don't completely overlap.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #44536 on: March 25, 2021, 08:17:22 am »

The loyalty isn’t even the bizarre thing: he had been charged when she appointed him but not convicted. Innocent until proven guilty and all that. She presumably got kicked out the party because of that.

Her husband apparently posted child sex fantasies on Twitter, and they claim it was hacked. Could be true, might not be.

Let’s shun everyone who is associated with people who have done bad things, though. See how many people remain unscathed.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44537 on: March 25, 2021, 09:12:09 am »

From what I read (drawn into it as I was) there were fairly clear cases of intentional obfuscation. Little white lies to avoid any initial questions getting in the way.

Let them who is without sin cast the first stone, but even if the father was (at that time) innocent before being proved guilty, it seems that it was anticipated (and proven) that the more civil judgement of "do we want to risk our organisation's reputation by unlearning what we now have learnt?" was going to be a big, fat No Thanks, and now with the added probability of dishonesty to obscure this.

The crimes of the father should not be used to prevent 'employment' by Reddit, of course, and I don't know if the partner's Twitter-waffle (if not hacked) should be a personal fault. But the subsequent concerns laid at the feet of the individual concerned for possible informed enabling are a matter that cannot be left unaddressed. The action or inaction that follows this addressing may inevitably lead to judgement as to the rightfulness, and this has erupted into the subbredits-revolution (apparently, I don't go to reddit enough, or wide enough, to know what may have happened before, and only gone to see the Rukwotsit page, last night, to see what fuss was actually being made here).

Would I hire them? Not an issue, I must say, I'm neither looking nor capable of doing so. But, theoretically if I were, I would no doubt theoretically have other candidates who may come with apparently far less doubtful backgrounds (assuming there were no further attempts to obscure).

At one point when I was applying for many jobs, one of the few times I was able to find out why my CV had not progressed me onto any list (shorter than the "very very long one before we even do any shuffling and cutting" one) turned out to be a disagreement over whether I had made a typo somewhere in a list of past experience. (Don't know if that's better or worse than being simultaneously rejected for having too much and too little detail, depending on who you asked - and also deigned to answer.) I would support organisations' right to make reasonable summary decisions of whatever kind, especially where they do not want for alternate (and 'alternative') applicants. And I don't see a problem with reasonable objections by those concerned as to how that organisation did or did not themselves reasonably object.

Oh, and an objection against a Trans person isn't necessarily transphobic, like objections to Meghan (née Markle, ex-RH) aren't necessarily racist[1]/anti-US/classist/whatever. Sometimes it's a personal objection (justified or otherwise), even if it can also be used by some as a 'wedge' issue to get past some more inexcusable opinion. You can't stop the underlying -isms by refusing to accept the possibility of the personal, though, or any other form of legitimatable rejection.

[1] If the media (both pro- and anti-, for their own reasons) weren't so often telling me that she was black, I wouldn't even have known she was!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 09:20:09 am by Starver »

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #44538 on: March 25, 2021, 09:21:48 am »

I am tolerant of trans people.

This means I give them equal treatment.

If you're a dickhead who happens to be trans I don't give a damn. I will treat you like the dickhead you are and would still have done so if you were cis.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44539 on: March 25, 2021, 09:44:16 am »

You can't wake up one day and decide to be gay, either.
You can, it's just that most people don't.
O rly?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44540 on: March 25, 2021, 09:47:45 am »

O rly?

Never had a gayday?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44541 on: March 25, 2021, 09:50:36 am »

O rly?

Never had a gayday?
I have had many happy days, yes. :D

There's a difference between behavior and sexuality.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #44542 on: March 25, 2021, 10:41:55 am »

And so, this rather dubious individual has been revoked of Reddit employment, or that's what is claimed.
Perfect timing for a company flirting with the idea of going public on the stock market
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #44543 on: March 25, 2021, 10:44:47 am »

Of course Reddit hires only the most qualified candidates...
Damn it's like they took notes from Twitch

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44544 on: March 25, 2021, 10:56:11 am »

Well this was quick. The online equivalent of riots.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44545 on: March 25, 2021, 02:23:27 pm »

O rly?

Never had a gayday?

Me: "GAYDAY! GAYDAY! I'm going down! I repeat; I'm going DOWN!"

Daddy Bear: "Do you really have to say that each time?"

Also, woo, damn near got whiplash from what little of the Reddit drama I've followed along with.

Honestly, I worry a little bit about the surge of hatred towards her partner, and the doxxing and righteous momentum against harmful-if-realized paraphilias like that...

...but her dad? Fuck that shit. I have very little tolerance for rapists or their supporters.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44546 on: March 25, 2021, 02:51:09 pm »

There's a difference between behavior and sexuality.
Of course, and both are subordinate to the will with enough effort. :)

There aren't any shortcuts, though. You do have to go through the whole process of moving the Overton window. Find a point on the spectrum where you feel like "okay, this isn't so bad," then get accustomed to it (and move on to the new point). Many young weeby types these days do it with trap manga.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #44547 on: March 25, 2021, 02:53:13 pm »

There was too much questionable shit around this person for me to understand why Reddit would have hired them.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44548 on: March 25, 2021, 03:26:23 pm »

Didn't Reddit also employ Ghislaine Maxwell?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #44549 on: March 25, 2021, 05:03:54 pm »

Didn't Reddit also employ Ghislaine Maxwell?
There's circumstantial evidence to suggest she was a power-mod, so not on payroll proper per se but still an influential user.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 2968 2969 [2970] 2971 2972 ... 3566