Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2966 2967 [2968] 2969 2970 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223155 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #44505 on: March 19, 2021, 03:53:33 pm »

I keep seeing Senate votes reported as 50-49 recently.  I assume there is some protocol where the minority leader (or someone) doesn't register a vote so as to avoid the neccessity of calling in the VP to settle to the tie.  Can someone enlighten me about this?

delphonso already answered the practical part of this, but the academic answer is pretty much nope. There is an old practice whereby one senator can cover for an absent senator by not voting and declaring that they're basically letting the absent senator cancel out their vote, but it's pretty uncommon these days and not the same as your hypothetical. Thanks in part to advocacy group votecharting (or potential 'so-and-so is missing votes' attack ads) there's generally an incentive to vote if you can.

Schumer and McConnell did reach a semi-formal (parts are formal, parts are informal) power-sharing agreement that does avoid a lot of needed Harris tie breakers, but largely for procedural votes and not the ones that matter.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #44506 on: March 19, 2021, 05:22:59 pm »

I am the Senate
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44507 on: March 20, 2021, 03:14:42 am »

Eh, the real villains are the ones that don't obviously look like villains.  If they look like a villain, surely they are actually upstanding people.

Y'know, if Dick Dastardly didn't insist on cheating, he'd probably win the wacky races.

The same could probably said of Trump, for that matter.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44508 on: March 20, 2021, 03:45:14 am »

Not wasting time doesn't sound like the senate.

Dan Sullivan is out for a family emergency, it seems.

I keep seeing Senate votes reported as 50-49 recently.  I assume there is some protocol where the minority leader (or someone) doesn't register a vote so as to avoid the neccessity of calling in the VP to settle to the tie.  Can someone enlighten me about this?

delphonso already answered the practical part of this, but the academic answer is pretty much nope. There is an old practice whereby one senator can cover for an absent senator by not voting and declaring that they're basically letting the absent senator cancel out their vote, but it's pretty uncommon these days and not the same as your hypothetical. Thanks in part to advocacy group votecharting (or potential 'so-and-so is missing votes' attack ads) there's generally an incentive to vote if you can.

Schumer and McConnell did reach a semi-formal (parts are formal, parts are informal) power-sharing agreement that does avoid a lot of needed Harris tie breakers, but largely for procedural votes and not the ones that matter.

Thank you both for clearing up my misunderstanding.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #44509 on: March 20, 2021, 05:24:46 am »

Stereotypical fundamentalists are nowhere near as Christian as they claim to be-- many of their beliefs directly contradict the religion they claim to belong to. Ironic isn't it? The Apostles would have probably disowned them. In fact I feel their "preachings" are just a cover for inner bigotry and hatred that would be expressed in other ways otherwise.

tl;dr fundies are brainlets of epic proportions
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #44510 on: March 20, 2021, 05:40:15 am »

EDIT: Shit, wrong thread.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #44511 on: March 20, 2021, 03:04:18 pm »

You can't spell fundamentalist without mental.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44512 on: March 20, 2021, 03:41:41 pm »

Or FUN, but that's a bad joke.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #44513 on: March 20, 2021, 09:14:57 pm »

Remember the Trump ramp incident? Biden did a funny on a staircase.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44514 on: March 20, 2021, 09:35:15 pm »

Remember the Trump ramp incident? Biden did a funny on a staircase.

sad_trombone.wav

If only people under 70 ran for any political office at all
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44515 on: March 20, 2021, 10:02:57 pm »

Wasn't that a couple of days ago? (I heard of it back then, I'm sure, but it had fallen out of the news - I now realise - before I did my usual weekend 'go back and see all those clips I don't watch while I'm stuck on mobile internet'.)

I imagine comments have been plastered all over the usual Trump Apologists' hangouts (including the NMPties that reply to @POTUS, which I've barely read myself because it's been boring and predictable compared to the ever rearranging carcrash of @realDonaldTrump, even if it's still mostly a changed-ends rearrangement of the old pro-/con-commentators).

But yeah, his dog (before being banished for biting) famously 'broke' his foot, and who hasn't occasionally stumbled on stairs (I actually did it myself this week, clipped the riser as I stepped up - felt foolish, though until this moment nobody else ever knew!) but the slightest changes in elevation don't phase him, in either stepped or inclined forms, and though I've yet to see him parading with a parasol but I can't imagine he'd take umbrage at an unfurled umbrella that he hadn't foisted off the duty of holding of to some minion...

I was totally unsurprised it didn't (until now) make its way onto this thread, 'cos we Liberal Elites[1] probably don't see anything amazingly interesting about it beyond a 'finally' news item at best, not worth repeating more than one or two further news-bulletins down the line, and then only if something like goats having to be brought down off rooves hadn't turned up as well.

[1] Don't worry, Bumber, I'm not tarring you with that brush!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #44516 on: March 20, 2021, 10:35:12 pm »

In Wisconsin (well... one place in Wisconsin) they just leave the goats up there.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #44517 on: March 21, 2021, 03:47:41 am »

In Wisconsin (well... one place in Wisconsin) they just leave the goats up there.

My grandparents fuckin' love that place.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44518 on: March 24, 2021, 11:39:08 am »

As reddit is an US company and there seems to be some politics involved , i'll post this here as it seems to fit more.

Today, i checked the CDDA reddit (CDDA is one of the Cataclysm survival roguelike game variants for people that never adventured in the upper boards) .
And noticed the whole sub was set to Private (so to read you have to log in), at the time i write this, it still is :
https://old.reddit.com/r/cataclysmdda/

On that page there's link that's supposed to explain why it's set to Private :
https://old.reddit.com/user/Blank-Cheque/comments/mbmthf/why_is_this_subreddit_private_see_here_for_answers/
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That page also give the following given link for more complete information :
https://old.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/mbeycw/whats_the_deal_with_rukpolitics_going_private_and/
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Checking the comments of this article, there are a lot of users that do not care about being banned anymore and point to who is the individual in question that has been hired as a reddit admin so you can check the individual wikipedia entry , and wow if it's true ...
(edit : in case things aren't as true as they appear to be, i'll remove the individual name, but you can check it on the comments in the page i linked (it's easy to spot it as the name is repeated all over the comments) and check the wikipedia entry yourself

Looks like in those "give people a 2nd, 3rd or 4th chance" situation that reddit company decided to choose the very wrong hill to go die on it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 11:45:32 am by Robsoie »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #44519 on: March 24, 2021, 12:19:06 pm »

Of course Reddit hires only the most qualified candidates...
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 2966 2967 [2968] 2969 2970 ... 3566