Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2965 2966 [2967] 2968 2969 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223583 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #44490 on: March 18, 2021, 11:30:24 pm »

So, would you say that the police have lost their rights to social expectations? Because I hear that they've been inflicting stressful situations on others for a while now.
Yeah, that is the problem, for issues current and past with the police. They have separated themselves from the rest of society to the point where they no longer consider themselves bound to the same "social expectations". Much of this problem developed from un-equitable laws, not made by the police, but which they are ordered to enforce.

It is not true of all police and not true of many of them, but tends to be true of the organizations themselves, because there is always some level of corruption creeping into the upper levels of the organization. This effects the hiring practices, the training practices, etc. It effects the orders that the organization delivers to officers regarding situations, etc.

Every police officer who cannot or will not treat all those within the community impartially and equitably, is essentially corrupt. Someone probably covered this better before. but "the police need to represent and be a part of those they represent", "the police need to be held to the same standards of scrutiny as those they are policing", "a non-peaceful resolution should be seen as a failure", etc.

If the hiring of your local police included only members of the community who cared about the health and welfare of all members of the community, you would end up with no instances of police violence and few instances of crime.

So, I may not mean "the police have lost their rights to social expectations" in the same way you do, but I agree with the basics of it. And I still mean that the guy who is stealing stuff has lost their rights to social expectations because they chose to steal rather than ask and so, they might get shot.

I would probably shoot a home intruder, looking at it realistically.

Panic is hell of a drug. I would at least try to aim at the legs so they're immobilized and then call the police. If they die, then "play stupid games win stupid prizes".
Yeah, it is the sort of thing that you should do practice drills for and should take the time to consider how things might play out. The ideal is that it doesn't get to that point, but premeditation will reduce panic and improve results. No different than considering how you'd handle unexpected situations before taking an unfamiliar vehicle for a drive.
Incidentally, this is why I laugh my ass off at rural MAGAts claiming things like "Out here, we HELP each other".
Nah, bro. You help the people you already know, and everyone else is just a potential threat. They do that in the cities too, it's called gangs.
So true... that is how magahat rurals speak and do things. "My sports team neighbors first!  well, the ones I like..."
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 11:43:57 pm by anewaname »
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44491 on: March 19, 2021, 07:03:03 am »

I keep seeing Senate votes reported as 50-49 recently.  I assume there is some protocol where the minority leader (or someone) doesn't register a vote so as to avoid the neccessity of calling in the VP to settle to the tie.  Can someone enlighten me about this?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #44492 on: March 19, 2021, 07:39:17 am »

Not wasting time doesn't sound like the senate.

Dan Sullivan is out for a family emergency, it seems.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44493 on: March 19, 2021, 07:58:49 am »

A society that has a worrying amount of "Fuck you, got mine" folks in it. Hell, you could view most of the GOP folks as having that mindset considering how much hate they have for any sort of social welfare or even basic fucking empathy.
Haven't you heard? Even the concept of empathy scares the talk radio conservatives! It's weak and feminine!
Here is the thing I wonder. Aren't the majority of those also hard line Christians? Is in it charity and loving your peers like the basis of Christianity dogma, at least on paper?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44494 on: March 19, 2021, 08:03:57 am »

"Charity begins at home..."

(I'm sure there's also plenty of biblical fables to seemingly directly contradict the Good Samaritan/etc ones, if you aim to find them.)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #44495 on: March 19, 2021, 08:18:17 am »

A society that has a worrying amount of "Fuck you, got mine" folks in it. Hell, you could view most of the GOP folks as having that mindset considering how much hate they have for any sort of social welfare or even basic fucking empathy.
Haven't you heard? Even the concept of empathy scares the talk radio conservatives! It's weak and feminine!
Here is the thing I wonder. Aren't the majority of those also hard line Christians? Is in it charity and loving your peers like the basis of Christianity dogma, at least on paper?

What American far right conservatives believe and conventional Christianity don't necessarily overlap.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44496 on: March 19, 2021, 08:34:11 am »

What American far right conservatives believe and conventional Christianity don't necessarily overlap.

While it quickly devolves into a shouting match about No True Scottsmen, the contents of the bible are rarely of deep concern to the far right conservative. They practice a belief, not what is prescribed.  Those beliefs are often completely divorced from the written canon of the faith, and this simple reality is why they are such easy victims for things like Prosperity Gospel Ministry.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44497 on: March 19, 2021, 12:42:06 pm »

Those beliefs are often completely divorced from the written canon of the faith, and this simple reality is why they are such easy victims for things like Prosperity Gospel Ministry.

"This man is named Creflo Dollar, and that sounds like a name that is totally not made up. It's a name I can trust with the figurative health of my immortal soul."

~Like half of my parents' friends growing up

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #44498 on: March 19, 2021, 12:56:19 pm »

"This man is named Creflo Dollar, and that sounds like a name that is totally not made up. It's a name I can trust with the figurative health of my immortal soul."

You know, before Donald Trump and Crefo Dollar, I would have thought people would be less absolutely trusting of Saturday morning cartoon villains.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44499 on: March 19, 2021, 01:24:54 pm »

...I would have thought people would be less absolutely trusting of Saturday morning cartoon villains.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44500 on: March 19, 2021, 01:31:50 pm »

Eh, the real villains are the ones that don't obviously look like villains.  If they look like a villain, surely they are actually upstanding people.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44501 on: March 19, 2021, 02:12:56 pm »

Eh, the real villains are the ones that don't obviously look like villains.  If they look like a villain, surely they are actually upstanding people.

Y'know, if Dick Dastardly didn't insist on cheating, he'd probably win the wacky races.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44502 on: March 19, 2021, 02:55:19 pm »

Y'know, if Dick Dastardly didn't insist on cheating, he'd probably win the wacky races.

His souped up hot rod thing is insane, looks like it could probably achieve orbit let alone win a race.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #44503 on: March 19, 2021, 03:08:34 pm »

Those beliefs are often completely divorced from the written canon of the faith, and this simple reality is why they are such easy victims for things like Prosperity Gospel Ministry.

~Like half of my parents' friends growing up

Every German named Thaler: :'(
Love, scriver~

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44504 on: March 19, 2021, 03:46:55 pm »

"Charity begins at home..."

(I'm sure there's also plenty of biblical fables to seemingly directly contradict the Good Samaritan/etc ones, if you aim to find them.)

While that is not a Biblical phrase, the rough meaning is found in various passages.

However, it does not mean what most people who use it today think it means. In the era where the phrase originated, the word "charity" meant "love" (in the non-romantic sense), meaning that you have to love yourself and your family before you can "love thy neighbor as thou loves thyself". The modern selfish version is a hell of a corruption.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 2965 2966 [2967] 2968 2969 ... 3566