Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2964 2965 [2966] 2967 2968 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223598 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #44475 on: March 17, 2021, 10:49:51 am »

I would probably shoot a home intruder, looking at it realistically.

Panic is hell of a drug. I would at least try to aim at the legs so they're immobilized and then call the police. If they die, then "play stupid games win stupid prizes".

This whole line of thought is so completely and utterly alien to someone who lives in a country where civilians don't own guns.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44476 on: March 17, 2021, 10:57:56 am »

Realistically, they're more likely to shoot family, lose the weapon to the burglar and get shot, or just get shot first, from what's pretty well known at this point. Panic is a hell of a drug -- the sort of drug that makes you real goddamn terrible at handling a firearm.

The statistics on home defense like that aren't exactly great for the resident :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #44477 on: March 17, 2021, 11:17:59 am »

Home defense is kind of a meme, the average fudd imagines an unarmed guy with a ski mask climbing through his window who gets scared off by the sound of a shotgun racking.  He loads birdshot in his home defense mossberg because "it'll ruin a guy's day if you shoot him in the face."  He's an idiot and thankfully he'll almost certainly never have to find out how dumb he is.

The real solution to avoiding violent crime is to move somewhere violent crime doesn't happen.  I live in a rural working class area where everybody has guns and the last murder was like eight years ago.  Other violent crime is slightly more common but limited mostly to people involved in the drug trade.

I'm still gonna own guns because they're cool and fun.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 11:19:33 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #44478 on: March 17, 2021, 11:41:58 am »

What if somebody broke into your outbuilding because they're homeless and are looking for a place to not die in the elements? What if they stole a blanket off a clothesline? Is that a shooting offence?
You want my honest answer? Yes. Being homeless doesn't give you the right to take from others. Of course I know other people will disagree. This is fine with me. I don't expend emotional effort caring about things outside my control; it's a waste of time and just makes people unhappy.

Cool. As long as we're on record that you'd shoot someone for stealing a blanket to avoid freezing to death.
Incidentally, this is why I laugh my ass off at rural MAGAts claiming things like "Out here, we HELP each other".
Nah, bro. You help the people you already know, and everyone else is just a potential threat. They do that in the cities too, it's called gangs.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44479 on: March 17, 2021, 11:54:35 am »

I would probably shoot a home intruder, looking at it realistically.

Panic is hell of a drug. I would at least try to aim at the legs so they're immobilized and then call the police. If they die, then "play stupid games win stupid prizes".

This whole line of thought is so completely and utterly alien to someone who lives in a country where civilians don't own guns.
Here few people do either-- and then it's mostly for home defense.

Nonlethal means are still more popular and I'd prefer to just taze them or something.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44480 on: March 17, 2021, 12:14:21 pm »

Never mind civilians, an overwhelming number of our police aren't armed (edit: ...with firearms).

When I worked in Berlin, the strangest thing (the language aside) was seeing the local coppers with sidearms holstered. In the years since then, our own forces now seem to have more 'batbelts' with some form of spray available when required, as well as the handy quick-cuffs/extendible-baton. And maybe a bulky tazer unit of some kind, but far from universally. Anything more is the exception.

Back in the heady days while certain high-profile shopping centre 'malls' and city-centres were busy places that I regularly visited (more for window-shopping/snack-shops, or just as a cut-through between transport interchange and my true destination) there were occasional patrols of what I still (erroneously) call "SO19" patrols (blame The Bill), especially since 7/7, the various London bridges' incidents, Manchester Arena, etc. 'Slung+held downward' H&K and holstered Glock, I presume, but I'm far too British to have ever asked. (Personal awkwardness, that is, not any fear that the officers would take exception or anything - being British themselves, they'd probably politely tell me anything they're actually allowed to!)

Odd though, to imagine such weapons around. In any segment of society. I've actually had a (criminal) shooting within half a mile of my home of the time, where I'd lived maybe 20 years, and an unknown incident (never explicitly checked what[1]), that involved officers and police-tape closing off a section of the next street over. Neither changed any thoughts I had about my own safety, though. Far more clear danger from recklessly driven cars and motorbikes on the very same streets. Never had my home invaded by burglars/other forms of criminals. I've been mugged once, and that was entirely weaponless. It was a case of opportunistic brute force and my being outnumbered three-to-one... in a mutually armed version of the situation I'd have been no better off, maybe worse!

Not to make this a 'gun control' thing, just to say how very different it seems to be (and therefore is) between places. It's probably a big reason (amongst other more mundane ones) why I've never seriously considered living in the US (probably NW coastal states as far as I've developed any general preferences). Though I've walked round bits of Massachusetts and Pennsylvania (no sidewalks on the country roads!) in my free time on occasions I've been there on business. Maybe unknowingly been in the crosshairs of some backwoods landowners, staring out from their forest-shielded house-fronts, not realising that this stranger is just a bemused Limey taking a road-map inspired jaunt - only to kill some hours...

[1] From comments by the crowd, as I skirted round the blockage to the woodland path behind, and the 'memorial' decor replenished for years with LED 'candles' and bright ribboned things upon iron fencing, might have been a 'domestic' where a man died, perhaps at the hands of an (arguably) wronged female partner. Though then likely to have been an impromptu knife, that.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 12:36:43 pm by Starver »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44481 on: March 17, 2021, 12:32:36 pm »

Outside authority can go fuck itself, as can law.

OK, yep, our perspectives are incompatible.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #44482 on: March 17, 2021, 01:51:09 pm »

Outside authority can go fuck itself, as can law.

Sounds like complete tough guy bullshit to me.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #44483 on: March 17, 2021, 02:03:11 pm »

I think it's just emblematic of the American Problem: an obsession with personal liberties leading to considering oneself withdrawn from the national society. Any of you guys know or care about Islamist groups in Kenya? Probably not, and that's totally fine as it's not your country or even your continent, and you don't benefit substantially from Kenya in any specific way.

As far as I can tell, that's the view Spin is espousing: why care about the Mexican border? Why care about the police? Why care about Los Angeles? They're not his community. Which would be fine, if he didn't benefit from the existence of the national community. If everyone adopted the same mindset, I'd imagine America would look like Southern Africa in the 17th century. More guns, though.

The national social contract might seem silly in deep rural areas, but it's what manufactures or imports those cars that are so important and it's what sustains the internet we're arguing on and opting out of that contract is selfish and short sighted.

Amateur social analysis, anyway. I might be terribly wrong. Spin probably disagrees with me, at least on it being short sighted and selfish. I've never actually been to America, either. Or maybe we'll go down a side track about Kenya, but please don't it's just an analogy. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #44484 on: March 17, 2021, 02:12:09 pm »

This is Ameripol pal; ‘murrican exceptionalism obviously means absolutely zero parallels can be drawn between the modern American experience and anything else! To even think otherwise is idiocy of the highest order.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44485 on: March 17, 2021, 02:29:45 pm »

No man is an island, basically. Or to put it in terms that sort of person will be more familiar with: We live in a society. :P
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44486 on: March 17, 2021, 02:48:23 pm »

As far as I can tell, that's the view Spin is espousing: why care about the Mexican border? Why care about the police? Why care about Los Angeles? They're not his community.
No, my view is that, since I don't have any control over those things, it's not my business. I can still have opinions on them, but I choose not to feel sad or worried about them in any way, because I would be making myself miserable for no reason.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44487 on: March 17, 2021, 02:48:44 pm »

No man is an island, basically. Or to put it in terms that sort of person will be more familiar with: We live in a society. :P

No man's an island but BOY is everyone digging moats
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44488 on: March 17, 2021, 02:49:02 pm »

A society that has a worrying amount of "Fuck you, got mine" folks in it. Hell, you could view most of the GOP folks as having that mindset considering how much hate they have for any sort of social welfare or even basic fucking empathy.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44489 on: March 17, 2021, 02:53:43 pm »

A society that has a worrying amount of "Fuck you, got mine" folks in it. Hell, you could view most of the GOP folks as having that mindset considering how much hate they have for any sort of social welfare or even basic fucking empathy.
Haven't you heard? Even the concept of empathy scares the talk radio conservatives! It's weak and feminine!
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 2964 2965 [2966] 2967 2968 ... 3566