Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2956 2957 [2958] 2959 2960 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4225544 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #44355 on: March 14, 2021, 11:57:19 am »

Sweden only outlawed our last form of slavery in the 50's et al
Love, scriver~

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #44357 on: March 14, 2021, 08:08:29 pm »

Allegedly they were protesting an oil pipeline.
Good on them, we don't need more pipelines.
Yeah, we can just keep shipping crude oil by rail instead.¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 08:10:25 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44359 on: March 14, 2021, 08:36:40 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:59:16 pm by dragdeler »
let

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44360 on: March 14, 2021, 08:58:36 pm »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/texas-migrant-facility-at-729percent-capacity-with-minors-reportedly-taking-turns-sleeping-on-floor/ar-BB1ezUdy
Why? Just fucking why this keep happening?
Mainly because the number of unaccompanied minors being brought over the border by coyotes all the damn time is staggering and they aren't polite enough to stop and give us time to build facilities or rehome the kids.

It's impossible to blame the parents - I know you know exactly how much better even a chance of getting into the US can be compared to their lives at home - but the result is that there are more children showing up than this country can fundamentally handle.

It's not even out of malice - no, not even during the Trump administration, whatever the Bezos Post tells people - but the kids have got to go somewhere, and none of the celebrities and rich people complaining about how inhumane it is are volunteering to house them. A handful of Hollywood mansions would go a long way toward fixing the problem, but their owners are surprisingly uncooperative when asked to help instead of just virtue-signal on talk shows...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44361 on: March 14, 2021, 11:50:46 pm »

No, during the Trump administration there was definitely malice involved. There were open statements about making the facilities really bad as a deterrent.

One of the reasons that the current administration is having to deal with this level of crowding is that Trump shut down a lot of the facility expansion.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44362 on: March 15, 2021, 12:56:20 am »

I hear part of the issue is that we put our border where people historically traveled freely. California and Texas used to both be Mexico...

I was reading recently about how people would "season" enslaved people for labor after the Middle Passage. It's hard not to think about the detention centers in that context.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44363 on: March 15, 2021, 12:59:17 am »

No, during the Trump administration there was definitely malice involved. There were open statements about making the facilities really bad as a deterrent.
That isn't even malice, it would just be ill-conceived empathy. Malice would be if the goal was to make them really bad and have more people in them. "I'll make this particularly awful in the hopes that nobody will go there" may be dumb, but it isn't malicious.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #44364 on: March 15, 2021, 07:16:04 am »

It'd be empathy if they also thought they'd have a better life where they were leaving, but that they were actively making the facilities worse to act as a deterrent to knowingly deny them a chance at a better life rather than trying to work to find a way to give them a better life, that's definitely malice.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44365 on: March 15, 2021, 09:02:20 am »

So if you just had 100 new families show up in your town overnight, with no housing or jobs for them, how would you feel?

On the flip side, would you be willing to live in a town that always have enough spare capacity to absorb an extra 200 people at any point in time?  This means keeping vigilance to keep those properties maintained, not used for crime, have enough extra capacity in grocery stores and services and all that?

On the flip-flip side, if you were fleeing an area due to war or whatever, what would your expectations be of the place to which you are fleeing? Would you expect there just to be no constraints on available housing and just magically jobs waiting for you? Or would you have an understanding that there really isn't anything waiting for you?  I think you would not expect to just be told you have to stay in a compound, at the threat of gunpoint, I agree with that.

We've already seen how the world in general doesn't like "spare capacity" to deal with shocks, and refugee immigration is definitely a kind of "shock," at least locally.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44366 on: March 15, 2021, 09:35:29 am »

I'm against illegal immigration, which is why we are still stuck here. It's tricky, as most things in life. If most central/south american governments were such shitty craps people would have no need to flee their countries. Also one should try to actually improve your place, not migrate, which is why I done back in the day and ended up eating up enough tear gas for a lifetime, and in fact got lucky I never got in jail or shot or worst.

Then there is the despair event when you realize either flee for a better future or resign to die in a (hopefully not literal) shithole. Some people have the means to emigrate legally or pretend they are tourists and then simply stay by any means. Others aren't so lucky, so they simply emigrate illegally for a better future. AND then there's also a fair share of stupid jerks that go their way just to fuck around or keep their "easy crime" lifestyle in greener pastures.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44367 on: March 15, 2021, 10:52:01 am »

On the flip-flip side, if you were fleeing an area due to war or whatever, what would your expectations be of the place to which you are fleeing? Would you expect there just to be no constraints on available housing and just magically jobs waiting for you? Or would you have an understanding that there really isn't anything waiting for you?  I think you would not expect to just be told you have to stay in a compound, at the threat of gunpoint, I agree with that.

I'm guessing very few people would expect to have all possessions taken from them, separated from family, forced into slave labor, and frequently beaten and/or raped. Spraying with poisonous disinfectants repeatedly probably doesn't come up often, either.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44368 on: March 15, 2021, 10:57:03 am »

So if you just had 100 new families show up in your town overnight, with no housing or jobs for them, how would you feel?

On the flip side, would you be willing to live in a town that always have enough spare capacity to absorb an extra 200 people at any point in time?  This means keeping vigilance to keep those properties maintained, not used for crime, have enough extra capacity in grocery stores and services and all that?

We've already seen how the world in general doesn't like "spare capacity" to deal with shocks, and refugee immigration is definitely a kind of "shock," at least locally.

I think this is a very good post.

I'm guessing very few people would expect to have all possessions taken from them, separated from family, forced into slave labor, and frequently beaten and/or raped. Spraying with poisonous disinfectants repeatedly probably doesn't come up often, either.

It's a continuation of an old policy by which Mexican immigrants would be doused with gasoline at the border "in order to kill lice/parasites." This was apparently one of the inspirations for Zyklon B usage you-know-where.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #44369 on: March 15, 2021, 11:58:39 am »

Personally, I'd want the State to come, and find and locate them available housing distributed around the country, housing them in decent temporary accommodation whilst doing so, and whilst also offering support services to aid in getting them employment and integration. Register the children with local schools and offer counseling and support services, sponsor the adults who need it to attend night classes to learn language skills or skills in demand if they don't have prior skills.

You know, treat them like the desperate people in need of help and support that they are rather than some mythical other to demonize.

Whilst we're at it, use those same basic systems and safety nets to deal with homelessness and unemployment.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 12:04:29 pm by MorleyDev »
Pages: 1 ... 2956 2957 [2958] 2959 2960 ... 3566