Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2938 2939 [2940] 2941 2942 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228805 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #44085 on: February 24, 2021, 05:42:45 pm »

My guess would be that the missing word is "detention".
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44086 on: February 24, 2021, 06:28:32 pm »

The biggest issue with "Unaccompanied migrants" is that the person who determines the status is usually a member of ICE or CBP, and they are rife with abuse of this. ICE is practically a rogue agency by this point - the union put a clause to prevent further changes in immigration policy at their last bargaining.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44087 on: February 24, 2021, 06:41:25 pm »

My (non-expert) understanding is that brackets like that are usually used when it's unclear what the quote would be otherwise, e.g. "I didn't like [the quote]" as opposed to "I didn't like it," but the use of bracketing here seems a little odd.

But the brackets should be supplemental instead of replacing words.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44088 on: February 24, 2021, 08:27:18 pm »

I've looked around, and it seems to depend on the stylesheet of use you learn with.

Ones that do say that "only additional words [beyond the original quote] should be enclosed", rather than indications of substitution, seem also to be happy with substitution for case or tense rectification. "[A]dditional words" clearly isn't being applied consistently here, nor "words [that] should [have been] enclosed." But there are always exceptions, it seems, so no harm.

Others, however, are fully enthusiastic about direct substitution (including bracketted ellipses to show an edited-omission), and the standard for edited additions is to be explicit about it: "[…] additional words should be enclosed [Editor: but then I must always credit my insertions]."

Noting that in most of my writings I've abandoned the strict rules for direct speech hammered into me back in the days of fountain-pens ("{<Any intro text>  comma space} open-quotes <Speech with starting capital> foo-mark close-quotes {space <any outro text.>" Where 'foo-mark' is: always exclamation-/question-mark if part of the Speech; otherwise the Speech's original full-stop(/period) if there's no outro; elsewise converted to a comma if there is) as far too pernickety, and web rendering has largely stopped me double-spacebarring between typed sentences. Yet I find a lot of my learnt methods still far too logical to switch just because Chicago has a different idea from AP, or both disagree with the Times ("of London"!) preference. Including my using of "-ise", "-our" and "-tre" British endings even in here, over the more Websterised anglic. (I did deliberately use "center" in my "Power Cable, Montana" quote, above, just for proper verisimilitude. In fact, it distracted me so much that I wrote that instead of "…, Nebraska"! I hope you're happy about that... ;) )

In other aspects of typography, personally I abhor the Oxford Comma - best to rewrite, if the OC would 'make it clearer', perhaps with a semi-colon delimitered 'greater list' - and don't talk to me about pluralising initialisms with apostrophes[1]!

YMMV, naturally.

[1] Or anything. Is our very own Forum Games's[2] "Cabal of Villain's" thread clearly just demonstrating the extent of its villainousnesses by the very title?

[2] Pozsessive of a proper name that is not biblical, before you ask...

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44089 on: February 25, 2021, 09:31:47 pm »

So, let me see if I understand this correctly:

“I [...] [pluralise] [...] with apostrophes.” -Starver.

Is there an editorial shorthand for presenting quotes out of order? I have good intentions, I swear.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 09:36:15 pm by thompson »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44090 on: February 25, 2021, 09:55:19 pm »

Not as part of the same quote, no, at least that I'm aware.

Mostly because it's impossible to butcher up quotations like that with good intentions, I think. It's either malice or wild incompetence, with not much space for a third option :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44091 on: February 25, 2021, 10:12:19 pm »

In a statement in which he said he had "good intentions", thompson queried the potential existence of "shorthand for presenting quotes out of order."

His overall tone was far more controversial, however, as the bulk of his message was framed within the request to "let me [redacted] swear."

8)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #44092 on: February 26, 2021, 06:03:06 am »

This has all been very off-topic, but I thank you for having it, I love this kind of dumb language customs stuff, it's the only thing that makes me feel alive
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44093 on: February 26, 2021, 10:00:50 am »

It's the freedom from an 'exciting' President, perhaps.

(Can you imagine Donald being still around to use the new "Superfollow" feature of Twitter to provide additional content directly to paying subscribers/funders? Actually, I bet Don Jr/whoever is the current Twitter substitute, is going to do that anyway, it sounds suitably lucrative.)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #44094 on: February 26, 2021, 11:31:56 am »

Wow, so after stating that they don't support hate speech and false information, immediately after Trump is out they turn around and monetize the ability to spread hate speech and false information? Twitter's only real problem with it was that it was public. But why, if you're willing to pay and we can just send it to you directly, then there's no need to moderate!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44095 on: February 26, 2021, 12:47:57 pm »

Wow, so after stating that they don't support hate speech and false information, immediately after Trump is out they turn around and monetize the ability to spread hate speech and false information? Twitter's only real problem with it was that it was public. But why, if you're willing to pay and we can just send it to you directly, then there's no need to moderate!

Companies only care about money, and are nobody's friend. This is not a surprise.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44096 on: February 26, 2021, 02:24:56 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:47:33 pm by dragdeler »
let

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44097 on: February 26, 2021, 02:57:38 pm »

To that point, hopefully the press continues to monitor to see if other (likely worse) facilities end up reopening.

So hey, didn't think I'd get to quote myself on this quite so soon.

Biden administration preparing another tent facility to cope with border influx

Officials are also looking at the possibility of opening additional sites in Arizona, but those plans are less advanced, according to one official.

. . . .

President Biden has used executive authority to reverse several Trump administration border policies, but he is facing a looming crisis as more and more minors and family groups enter without authorization. The number of minors arriving without a parent has grown to more than 300 each day in recent weeks, a fourfold increase since last fall.

. . . .

Family groups pose a different challenge to the administration. The Biden administration has continued to use the Trump-era pandemic order, known as Title 42, to quickly return them to Mexico. But last month, Mexican authorities stopped taking back some family groups in the Rio Grande Valley and other sectors, citing capacity limits in its shelter system.

. . . .

DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas has asked U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to help process families and transport them further north, away from the border towns and cities where local officials are upset with Biden, according to a Feb. 12 internal email obtained by The Washington Post.

Though I should note that the reporter is arguing that this is at least partially due to the most infamous facility being closed late last year.

No 2000$ checks.
15$ minimum wage in 2024 (J.F.L.) cancelled.
The motherfucker dropped his first bombs today.

Not that these are satisfying responses, but:

- Legislation takes time and they're taking it from the 600 + 1400 = 2000 instead of a new 2000. (That said, the Dem claims made on the campaign trail were somewhere between unrealistic, misleading, or lying.)

- Minimum wage thing is a reconciliation limitation... and they don't have the Senate votes for it anyways, unfortunately. Some Senate dems are currently working to put in an alternative reconciliation-kosher version, but it's... not a great kludge, in my opinion.

- I got nuthin' here aside from commiseration.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44098 on: February 26, 2021, 03:01:40 pm »

The motherfucker dropped his first bombs today.

Who'd we blow up this time?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44099 on: February 26, 2021, 03:14:15 pm »

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 2938 2939 [2940] 2941 2942 ... 3567