Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2903 2904 [2905] 2906 2907 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4241995 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #43560 on: January 22, 2021, 11:22:57 am »

https://twitter.com/scottheins/status/1351527701316853762

Edit: related https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/21/22242676/instacart-firing-every-union-employee-coronavirus-pandemic

It's illegal to do, bu with right-wingers in the whitehouse, they'll get away with it. 4 more years of this now.

I'm not anti-labor, but this is a sensationalist piece... there isn't enough information to determine if the closure of the one single location that had unionized was targeted or if it was really just because it was on the list of unprofitable locations.  I guess maybe you could argue the company could have kept that one open "just because" it was union, closing some other location, and subsidized it from the profitable ones. What good would that serve?

That said, yes, there is not much solidarity any more these days. Most people think "whew I still have my job!" but don't think of why they have a job. It's not just the whims of the Corporate OverlordsTM, it's that enough other people have jobs to keep buying the stuff their employer sells to keep them employed.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43561 on: January 22, 2021, 11:32:42 am »

Reminds me of the old aphorism that any Prime Minister or President can come into power with loads of bold new ideas, until some men and women in black suits and ties come into the room with a briefcase and tell them how things are really done. Worse so when you have a President who doesn't even have any new ideas to begin with

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43562 on: January 22, 2021, 12:54:01 pm »

Not that I'm arguing Biden actually can/will fix these issues, but it's not like the government can turn on a dime. He has put some more pro-labor people in significant positions (including at the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, the gatekeeper of all regulations that traditionally has only been a friend to corporate under Dem and Repub alike), but actually changing regulations takes time, which in turn takes time to yield corporations/groups changing their behaviors.

A large portion of the EOs already signed are changing overall stances or beginning review of prior (or new) actions - only in limited conditions can EOs directly & immediately affect the real world.

In other news, Pelosi will be sending over the article of impeachment on Monday, which I believe means the trial starts on Tuesday.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #43563 on: January 22, 2021, 01:05:59 pm »

Too bad we can't invalidate all his fucking pardons at the same time.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43564 on: January 22, 2021, 01:39:08 pm »

Some of his pardons were actually okay, for what little it's worth. There were horseshit drug related stuff pardoned on top of the rest of it, just as an example.

Quite a lot of them were pretty fucking heinous, though, yeah.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43565 on: January 22, 2021, 01:55:47 pm »

Instacart's actions...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #43566 on: January 22, 2021, 03:33:46 pm »

@anewaname Any skill can be made rare, though enough cooperation and solidarity. That's what unions and (general) strikes are for, promoting the rights of the individual worker by creating artificial scarcities in the workforce.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #43567 on: January 22, 2021, 04:36:02 pm »

Firing the guy that was blocking union protections was literally one of the first actions Bidem took as President
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #43568 on: January 23, 2021, 02:20:47 am »

Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43569 on: January 23, 2021, 02:27:34 am »

Dumbasses.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #43570 on: January 23, 2021, 02:54:49 am »

Biden put a bust of Cesar Chavez in the Oval Office.
A quote in the linked article says that it shows how Biden is "authentic" and showing concern for Latinos.
Another says that the gesture was meaningful because "it was accompanied by the bill outlining a pathway to legalization for millions of undocumented immigrants."

Ironically, Chavez didn't think very highly of undocumented immigrants.

Senator Chuck Schumer: Trump incited an "erection" against the United States.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 03:00:57 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #43571 on: January 23, 2021, 03:55:37 am »

Yeah, whoever is steering Biden knows how that looks and is doing it intentionally. The goal is to get people complacent again, not to make progress. This is the Dems we're talking about, at the end of the day.

I can't beieve they took out the Diet Coke button...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43572 on: January 23, 2021, 05:38:31 am »

Politics... being politics?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43573 on: January 23, 2021, 01:35:00 pm »

@anewaname Any skill can be made rare, though enough cooperation and solidarity. That's what unions and (general) strikes are for, promoting the rights of the individual worker by creating artificial scarcities in the workforce.
In what ways could the Instacart employee's skills be made more rare?
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43574 on: January 23, 2021, 02:28:37 pm »

By a general strike, a strike by "a substantial proportion of the total labour force in a city, region, or country".  Basically, if labour of all walks of life agree to boycott the company for its anti-labour practices.  This is why many people suggest that labor unions combine and be less specialized, to increase their power.  Or at least cooperate.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 2903 2904 [2905] 2906 2907 ... 3568