Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2764 2765 [2766] 2767 2768 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227494 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #41475 on: November 04, 2020, 05:23:27 pm »

If Biden wins it'll almost certainly be with a Republican Senate, meaning we see very little legislation/action on much at all (especially under the current Supreme Court). Might end up being a victory for the status quo, with some of Trump's biggest executive actions going away but not much else of note.
Biden might have to rule through executive action and bypass Congress.
Which, well...there's a recently-established four year precedent of that, so...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41476 on: November 04, 2020, 05:25:15 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if the current Supreme Court suddenly takes a hard(er) stance against executive action. It's actually possible we see the return of a strong interpretation of the nondelegation doctrine, e.g. loss of Chevron deference.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #41477 on: November 04, 2020, 05:29:39 pm »

Many Republicans were only loyal to Trump for the sake of him being a "strongman". If Biden wins the moderate-centrist Republicans will retake their party and things will hopefully will be more stable- if civil war doesn't break-out. If some insurgencies do spring out, hopefully its only relegated to "citizen-militia" right-wing groups and not any of our army proper. The police can't be trusted and even with my hope, they might join militias too sparking a considerable force. The army is loyal to the President by contract and honor- but even then some MIGHT break-away, but hopefully not alot. With that any right-wing reactionary force hopefully can be handled..

It makes me curious however, I wonder how China and Russia would react with if a prolonged dead-locked civil war in tow..

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41478 on: November 04, 2020, 05:31:36 pm »

With an outcome like this, Trump won't be the typical unpopular loser in a presidential contest - he'll have a convincing (to his base, at the very least) argument that he actually won and could quite possibly remain the head of the party as a sort of 'government in exile'.

(And that's setting aside the potential conflict scenarios.)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41479 on: November 04, 2020, 05:33:25 pm »

Looking at Google, seems like Trump is holding his lead in PA, GA, and NC with Biden holding MI and NV.  Going by what's said for current Electorial Totals and adding those states in (along with Alaska/Hawaii), 270 Biden, 268 Trump unless there's a notable shakeup, and if it didn't screw up Nebraska and Maine's potential shenanigans.  Faithless electors at max danger, even if not malicious but by spelling mistakes/other mixups.

Notably, this is before challenges and recounts which will be especially fierce in Michigan and Wisconsin especially due to the sudden spikes you can see on the charts that leave them very suspicious for anyone on the Republican side, especially with it being near totally for Biden and no real visible change for Trump.

It's the mail-in ballots, same as why Pennsylvania and Georgia are still considered to be contested.

Just goes to show how deep voter suppression ran. This election's popular vote is already up more than 10 million from 2016 and it's not even over.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #41480 on: November 04, 2020, 05:51:43 pm »

With an outcome like this, Trump won't be the typical unpopular loser in a presidential contest - he'll have a convincing (to his base, at the very least) argument that he actually won and could quite possibly remain the head of the party as a sort of 'government in exile'.

(And that's setting aside the potential conflict scenarios.)

Might wind up causing the Republicans to remain kinda held fully together as a result, while Democrats will be having a lot more trouble as the unifying thread of going against Trump will cause some fracturing between old guard Corporate Dems and newly minted Progressive Dems, exacerbated by Bernie being effectively cheated out of nomination twice now.

It's the mail-in ballots, same as why Pennsylvania and Georgia are still considered to be contested.

That is true.  But optically, looks kinda sus to see it to that sheer degree and as a result flipping the state guarantees that there will be challenges.

Just goes to show how deep voter suppression ran. This election's popular vote is already up more than 10 million from 2016 and it's not even over.

I'm hesitant to call it voter suppression when voter apathy can explain it.  Sheer level of anti-Trump got some energy back, but prior ruling party energy drain is a real thing.  H.W. was the last two presidents from same party in a row for decades, after all, and that was kinda Reagan coattails.  You have to go all the way back to Roosevelt and Truman for one party having the presidency for more than 2 elections besides that.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41481 on: November 04, 2020, 05:54:26 pm »

I'm just waiting for the 2020 update to the "faithless elector" Wikipedia page.
I'd appreciate a (double-)update to https://xkcd.com/1122/

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #41482 on: November 04, 2020, 06:08:51 pm »

Looks like Trump lost Michigan by 37,965. Jo Jorgensen got 58,585. Trump's almost certain to lose this election now (because of the lead in Nevada, which would put Joe at 270 exactly) because of the Libertarian Party. This is beautiful.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #41483 on: November 04, 2020, 06:14:50 pm »

CAN'T JORG THE JORGENSEN!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41484 on: November 04, 2020, 06:17:01 pm »

So, third(-or-more)-party candidates have been crucially influential again. The phrase "Kingmaker" doesn't seem apt. "Kingbreaker"?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41485 on: November 04, 2020, 06:20:36 pm »

So, third(-or-more)-party candidates have been crucially influential again. The phrase "Kingmaker" doesn't seem apt. "Kingbreaker"?

KINGSLAYER
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41486 on: November 04, 2020, 06:21:00 pm »

Looks like Trump lost Michigan by 37,965. Jo Jorgensen got 58,585. Trump's almost certain to lose this election now (because of the lead in Nevada, which would put Joe at 270 exactly) because of the Libertarian Party. This is beautiful.

Thank the fucking gods.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #41487 on: November 04, 2020, 06:21:59 pm »

You mean for once the Libertarian vote actually helped the democrats instead of fucking it up for them? 2020, you just don't stop delivering the surprises.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41488 on: November 04, 2020, 06:24:28 pm »

I still don't really believe in this "counting third party votes". Deciding to actually vote for a third party is an extreme position to take - it doesn't mean you're a Republican or Democrat who decided to vote wrong.

I have no idea of what the Libertarian party's theoretical split to the Democrats and Republicans would be, but it's not 100% the latter. And I guess there might be terfs or something in the Green party who would vote Republican.

Constitution party are flat-out psychotics, that much is for sure.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #41489 on: November 04, 2020, 06:26:42 pm »

Oh hey Trump declared his victory a while ago.

I guess we should stop counting.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 2764 2765 [2766] 2767 2768 ... 3566