Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2762 2763 [2764] 2765 2766 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227193 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #41445 on: November 04, 2020, 02:38:06 pm »

What you're saying is that the people more likely to start a civil war if they lose therefore have more intrinsic right to be awarded any uncertain win.

I see absolutely no problem with that(!)
At no point did I say that or anything resembling that.

I said that I personally voted for what I saw as less likely to start a civil war.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #41446 on: November 04, 2020, 02:42:57 pm »

What you're saying is that the people more likely to start a civil war if they lose therefore have more intrinsic right to be awarded any uncertain win.

I see absolutely no problem with that(!)
At no point did I say that or anything resembling that.

I said that I personally voted for what I saw as less likely to start a civil war.

This has to be the weakest excuse for a Trump vote I've ever seen. Particularly from someone telling other people to "chill out" and "things will be ok."
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 02:45:33 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41447 on: November 04, 2020, 02:45:44 pm »

This has to be the weakest excuse for a Trump vote I've ever seen.
I do not feel that I need an excuse.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #41448 on: November 04, 2020, 02:49:26 pm »

and honestly, I'm fine with civil war anyway
Yeah. This is part of it. The 'table flipper' attitude.
I don't want to flip any tables, I just don't care if tables get flipped. The flippedness state of tables is a perfect irrelevancy to me. This is what is meant by 'ataraxia'.

ETA: I really do have to strongly reassert that a Trump victory was less likely to lead to civil war, though. If you don't believe me, I am watching people plan their insurrections in various places right now because they believe Biden is currently stealing the election.
That sounds likely; the Trump cult is more crazed than the Democrats.
Especially when it comes down to a close call like this, I wouldn't be surprised if Biden throws in the towel if it turns out Trump actually wins the election "fair and square" (be it by popular vote or electorates, disregarding the Republican's obvious attempts at fudging the votes). He'll protest of course but in the end it will end up in the SC and will begrudgingly accept them announcing Trump won.

Now if Trump wins that also means at least four more years of a fash in the White House, which really isn't fun for anyone involved (that is, all of us, 'cept MS who has reached ataraxia I suppose).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #41449 on: November 04, 2020, 02:58:53 pm »

"I only voted for him to avoid civil war." That is, by definition, an excuse.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41450 on: November 04, 2020, 03:01:25 pm »

"I only voted for him to avoid civil war." That is, by definition, an excuse.
Not at all.

It is an explanation of why I do not consider myself a "Trump supporter", not an excuse. You perceive it as an excuse because you think I should need an excuse.

That's beside the point though. I was actually done here for the day, but I came back to the thread because I suddenly remembered, and thus had to remind everyone else, that election blog Fivethirtyeight is a subsidiary of the Walt Disney Company.

Come on, that's funny.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41451 on: November 04, 2020, 03:01:52 pm »

I do not believe that you are my friend.
Aww.  :(

Well, maybe you could then respond to the rest of what I was saying? I will repeat it for you and elaborate a bit.
Having Trump as a president for four years has not been in your self interest. People (including you) are not fine.

- Taxes have been lowered (nice if you are rich), but at the cost of greatly increasing the national depth.
- As others said, the US is among the worst hit by COVID of all countries, in spite of having the most medical resources.
- This in turn is also wrecking the economy.
- Racial tensions are at an all-time high.
- Nuclear agreement with Iran shredded, Iran is practically bullied into making their own nukes.
- Talks with Kim-Jong Un have been great PR for the Great Leader and achieved nothing.
- Climate change is starting to impact the world increasingly severely.
- According to you, the US has been brought to the brink of a civil war.

Of course Trump tells you that none of this has been his fault, even if it all happened on his watch.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41452 on: November 04, 2020, 03:01:59 pm »

stop trying to debate maximum spin. no person with such a stark lack of morality and empathy for other people as to vote for trump because "he seems least likely to start a civil war" while ignoring the countless atrocities trump and his administration have inflicted on marginalized people over the last four years is worth wasting your finite lives and brain cells on. he doesn't give a fuck about you or anyone else as long as his own ass isn't on the line, and now that he's voted for the new fuhrer it is most decidedly not, so just don't bother.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 03:04:49 pm by Sentient Bowtie »
Black lives matter.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41453 on: November 04, 2020, 03:07:41 pm »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41454 on: November 04, 2020, 03:11:13 pm »

so point and laugh while he runs his mouth but don't actually challenge anything he says, like that sketch is good for ;)
Black lives matter.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41455 on: November 04, 2020, 03:17:20 pm »

I do not believe that you are my friend.
Aww.  :(

Well, maybe you could then respond to the rest of what I was saying? I will repeat it for you and elaborate a bit.
Having Trump as a president for four years has not been in your self interest. People (including you) are not fine.

- Taxes have been lowered (nice if you are rich), but at the cost of greatly increasing the national depth.
- As others said, the US is among the worst hit by COVID of all countries, in spite of having the most medical resources.
- This in turn is also wrecking the economy.
- Racial tensions are at an all-time high.
- Nuclear agreement with Iran shredded, Iran is practically bullied into making their own nukes.
- Talks with Kim-Jong Un have been great PR for the Great Leader and achieved nothing.
- Climate change is starting to impact the world increasingly severely.
- According to you, the US has been brought to the brink of a civil war.

Of course Trump tells you that none of this has been his fault, even if it all happened on his watch.
I don't really know how you aren't getting this.

i am fine with all of those things.
I am fine with everything.
Everything is fine. Life is amazing. There is no reason to be scared of anything, ever.
What will happen in the world is outside your control. Enjoy it for the length of time allotted to you, and, when that's over, have no regrets because you used your time the way you wanted. It could be fifty years from now or tomorrow. Who cares?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41456 on: November 04, 2020, 03:20:53 pm »

Ain't nobody living life to the fullest.  Everyone's unemployed and the airport's closed.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41457 on: November 04, 2020, 03:33:38 pm »

case in point. i'd advise adding him to your ignore lists so you can "enjoy" his wonderful content at your own discretion
Black lives matter.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41458 on: November 04, 2020, 03:37:01 pm »

You said;
I am watching people plan their insurrections in various places right now because they believe Biden is currently stealing the election.

You think that these people are likely to act if they 'lose'. If you thought their 'opposite numbers' were likely to act similarly if they 'lose' then you would not have any reason to vote to appease the people you are attempting to appease, because you'd be disappeasing the other lot to nil (or worse) effect.

Seems obvious to me.  You're sorting a problem out your own way. I'm not at all convinced that's the best way (or the best ends, to which you choose your means).

What would I do, with utterly no personal opinion (as you have) but influenced only by being enmeshed in this particular societal environment? I don't know. I'm not sure my vote (in their 'support') would be the best tool to fix this. The degree and variety of extremis I found myself in would probably dictate whether the tool I'd choose would be a phone or something else. I've no idea how likely it would be that this 'something else' would be a gun of my own or a U-Haul truck, because everything about my life would be so different in this scenario.

I should probably not be continuing with this discussion, in the intetests of keeping the peace here. Would you be upset if I took the hint and guidance just published slightly up-thread of here and just let you do what you do without further comment? That's what you'd do, right?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 03:44:54 pm by Starver »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41459 on: November 04, 2020, 03:39:10 pm »

stop trying to debate maximum spin.
Well debating someone you don't agree with is entertaining in a way. I am enjoying my finite life here.  :P

The last time anyone was convinced by a stranger on the internet was in 1956, and that was in an argument about shoelaces.
Pages: 1 ... 2762 2763 [2764] 2765 2766 ... 3566