Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2753 2754 [2755] 2756 2757 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4225288 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #41310 on: November 03, 2020, 05:23:05 pm »

MSH:  A gentle, but FIRM hand, yes.

There is no capitulation with their ideology.  You very much are out to stamp it out.  The issue, is that you have to do it by approaching the root of the mindset.  WHY do they only respect force?  Start there.  You are NOT compromising with them; you are rehabilitating them.  You don't help a person in drug rehab by sneaking them small doses of crank.

See also, the rehab video documentary about a certain evil little girl.

Pure love does not work. (and it did not work for the girl in the doc either.)  what DID work, was a gentle, but FIRM hand.
But let's take MSH's example of Golden Dawn. They weren't dismantled by force in the sense of cracking skulls or shooting people in the streets. Instead, the leaders were convicted and jailed.
How many people in the Trump administration do you think will face trial for their actions? And how many will face prison? Fuck, he's already pardoned half a dozen shitbags like Arpaio and Stone.
Nah, my fear is that a Biden DOJ won't seek to prosecute anyone from this administration in the name of "healing" which just creates a lesson for the next Republican administration that there are no consequences beyond occasionally getting voted out of power. Which is fine with them -- they only really need to be in charge long enough to loot the country and then it's actually a better fundraiser for them to be on the outside while someone else does the dirty work of rebuilding.

And as long as there continue to be no consequences, the cycle will continue to repeat.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41311 on: November 03, 2020, 05:30:21 pm »

Agreed.  There must be consequences.  BUT-- the consequences must not be in the same vein of "Fear!" based decision making. (Try getting that through to a jury, who is hooped up on horror stories from the prosecutor.)

Much like the little girl in the doc, they dont actually become normal.  They require constant monitoring and reinforcement, to avoid a backslide.  They become much less dangerous, and attain a semblance of normalcy. (this is, explicitly, for the bona-fide hard-core nucleus of the issue. The satellite recruits that have not been conditioned into irreparably damaged humans, can in fact make full recoveries.) They require an unrelenting-- but gentle, and firm hand.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41312 on: November 03, 2020, 06:04:02 pm »

Agreed.  There must be consequences.  BUT-- the consequences must not be in the same vein of "Fear!" based decision making. (Try getting that through to a jury, who is hooped up on horror stories from the prosecutor.)

Much like the little girl in the doc, they dont actually become normal.  They require constant monitoring and reinforcement, to avoid a backslide.  They become much less dangerous, and attain a semblance of normalcy. (this is, explicitly, for the bona-fide hard-core nucleus of the issue. The satellite recruits that have not been conditioned into irreparably damaged humans, can in fact make full recoveries.) They require an unrelenting-- but gentle, and firm hand.
Spoiler: Consensus reached. (click to show/hide)

Ok I've created a Discord server to host the Election Night results-watching. First polls will close at 7pm EST (about one hour from now). All are welcome, just try not to set everything on fire right away.
https://discord.gg/5rwQ27B4

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41313 on: November 03, 2020, 06:11:27 pm »

^ And let's try not to have anyone get banned this year.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #41314 on: November 03, 2020, 09:21:16 pm »

I'm not about trying to rehabilitate true believer fascists, and my earlier comment wasn't about the sensibilities of Trump supporters.  I'm roughly aligned with MSH's opinion on this point. 

The only thing I'd throw in is echoing roughly what bloop_bleep said.  People aren't born fascists.  They're driven to it by a combination of fear, insecurity, humiliation, unstable circumstances, propaganda, and cult figures.  Ultimately summarized as bad times + cultural issues.  And *one of* the culture issues I'm referring to specifically is: If we are indiscriminately mocking and smug towards people who aren't yet fascists, we drive them away from our culture towards the one that will accept them.  That the ideology will follow is an inevitability. 

I know many out there will quickly retort "If someone decides to become a fascist because someone said something mean to them, then they were probably a fascist piece of shit all along and we don't want them!"  But this is absurdly reductionist, and would be comical in how dishonest or stupid it is, if it didn't threaten to doom us all.  Tell someone they're a piece of shit who needs to go stand in the corner with the other pieces of shit enough, and eventually you'll generate a person who sympathizes and bands together with the other pieces of shit, no matter how virtuous they may have once been.  Do this to everyone who ever produces a whiff of bad smell, and you're going to make a real problem for yourself.

My comment wasn't about that stuff, though.  It was about somebody being snapped at for saying something critical of Biden, whether true or not.  I'm pretty sure Iduno is a Democrat-hating progressive like me, not a conservative troll?

Also, I'm not going to bother looking up a source right now, but I do remember Biden putting out messages urging people to get out and vote for him in the Wisconsin primary, at the same time that Bernie was putting out messages telling people to stay home because it's not worth the risk.

I'm sensitive to this right now, because what I genuinely predict is a worse Trump in 4-8 years.  Because all the political talk I see out there indicates to me that few have learned anything.  Like earlier today when I was looking at comments on a political meme post about holding Democrat's feet to the fire after putting them in power, and the only comment bringing up how this worked out in 2008-2010 generating nothing but responses defending Obama.  The irony is fucking incredible.  We're going to get worse than Trump, because Democrat neoliberalism is going to double down.  Everyone's going to continue to feel the crunch of working harder and harder year after year under increasing productivity demands, while their lives get continually poorer and more unstable, and the apocalypse looms ever larger over an endless horizon of riot cops and surveillance cameras.  Plenty of those fed up with it will become both party-hating lefty anarchists like me.  But plenty of others will rub shoulders with the other pipeline, one way or another.  They repeat something they heard but don't feel too much conviction about to the wrong person while lost in an understandable haze of confused angst, get called a piece of shit who needs to go stand with the other pieces of shit, and there's one more likely shoved down the rabbit hole towards Ultra-Trump 2024.  And watch... the Democrats will force someone barely distinguishable from Normal Trump through their primaries and tell us that we have to vote for them to stop Ultra-Trump, less we be held responsible for whatever happens when Ultra-Trump is elected, who is the greatest threat to democracy the world has ever seen (while shitting all over any semblance of democracy in their own primary).  Meanwhile, Michelle and Ellen or their 2024 equivalents will start to talk about how they're actually best friends with the Normal Trump family.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 09:25:00 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41315 on: November 03, 2020, 09:38:24 pm »

My comment wasn't about that stuff, though.  It was about somebody being snapped at for saying something critical of Biden, whether true or not.  I'm pretty sure Iduno is a Democrat-hating progressive like me, not a conservative troll?
I mean, at this point I'm not even sure, is the thing. I thought that, too, but a dem hating progressive would probably at least try to back up their shittalking, and this seems to the third time I can remember in recent-ish memory their reaction to being asked to bloody put up has been to go silent. They're certainly democrat hating, but what beyond that I don't bloody know anymore.

I'm personally pretty fucking sketch about folks equivocating trump and biden these days, though, for what it's worth. Disliking, even hating the dems is one thing, going that far is carrying water for the goddamn far-right.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41316 on: November 03, 2020, 09:43:51 pm »

How much Trump support can even really be attributed to thin-skinned reactions to supposed hostility?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #41317 on: November 03, 2020, 09:58:59 pm »

I mean, at this point I'm not even sure, is the thing. I thought that, too, but a dem hating progressive would probably at least try to back up their shittalking, and this seems to the third time I can remember in recent-ish memory their reaction to being asked to bloody put up has been to go silent. They're certainly democrat hating, but what beyond that I don't bloody know anymore.

I'm personally pretty fucking sketch about folks equivocating trump and biden these days, though, for what it's worth. Disliking, even hating the dems is one thing, going that far is carrying water for the goddamn far-right.

I guess I understand the suspicion, and I haven't been deeply involved on this forum for a long time now.  Not enough to keep score on most posters.  So my appraisal is just passing observation.  At the same time, I can relate to being just tired as shit and done with the whole dance of providing sources, then having to defend the validity of the source, then having to defend the interpretation of the source, probably digging up more sources on both points, etc, etc.  When I think it's fair to say we're all feeling quite embattled at this point.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41318 on: November 03, 2020, 10:16:21 pm »

Chinese Yuan crashed.

This means the currency market is projecting a Trump victory tonight.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41319 on: November 03, 2020, 10:19:22 pm »

How does that even work?

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41320 on: November 03, 2020, 10:28:47 pm »

How does that even work?

Currency markets are gigantic, far larger than stock exchanges and many bond markets.  Trillions of dollars and other currencies are exchanged every day.  They tend not to be volatile, either, other than major geopolitical events or central bank actions.

Trump is considered far more antagonistic towards China than Biden.  Currency traders are now expecting Trump to win so they're selling off yuan.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41321 on: November 03, 2020, 10:35:05 pm »

Chinese Yuan crashed.

This means the currency market is projecting a Trump victory tonight.

That's strange.  Not a currency trading boffin but it seems hard to reconcile with this:
http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-11/04/c_139489665.htm
The central parity rate of the Chinese currency renminbi, or the yuan, strengthened 186 pips to 6.6771 against the U.S. dollar Wednesday, according to the China Foreign Exchange Trade System.
Btw, not making any claims just weird juxtaposition, yeah?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41322 on: November 03, 2020, 10:39:14 pm »

Betting odds are shifting.  As of 30 minutes ago, one aggregator suggests that Biden has a 27.1% chance of winning.

Source: https://www.actionnetwork.com/politics/election-odds-predictions-trump-biden-betting-presidential-race-2020

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #41323 on: November 03, 2020, 11:01:48 pm »

Quote from: ZBridges
Biden has a 27.1% chance of winning.

God, I don't like Biden but I REALLY hope he wins. We cannot have more years of Trump. ::)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41324 on: November 03, 2020, 11:03:01 pm »

Quote from: ZBridges
Biden has a 27.1% chance of winning.

God, I don't like Biden but I REALLY hope he wins. We cannot have more years of Trump. ::)
Pages: 1 ... 2753 2754 [2755] 2756 2757 ... 3566