Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2642 2643 [2644] 2645 2646 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223772 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #39645 on: September 24, 2020, 05:39:41 pm »

Strict adherence to the Constitution, or the will of the Framers is so weird to me.  Everyone knows they had slaves, but not everyone remembers that only landowners could vote back then.  The supposed balance of the three branches only ever worked by trading favors, collusion, and by taboos against actually using the "checks" like the veto. 

The only redeeming value of the US Constitution is its malleability, as shown by the Bill of Rights and (most of) the following Amendments.  So this nigh-fundamentalist idea of trying to enforce the original intentions of its authors seems... misguided.  Often it seems like a convenient excuse, and at least that makes sense.
Well, the thing is that the Constitution comes with an explicit process for changing it just like you just mentioned, so if you want to change it, you need to use that process. The point of strict adherence to the text is that the alternative is that changes in the meaning get forced through without going through the process, and thus, forced on people who don't want them. The fact that amendments doing what various interest groups want don't get ratified means that not enough states actually want those things, and the states still have de jure primacy in the US - the US is still legally fifty different countries who each get the right to make their own decisions. So even if a majority of people want something, under the structure of the Constitution, they're not allowed to foist that interpretation on everyone else without going through the supermajority-requiring Constitutional process. Without that roadblock, the Union dissolves.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39646 on: September 24, 2020, 06:35:25 pm »

The founders were probably more optimistic and believed the checks and balances wouldn't have been sidestepped by all branches being compromised under the same party/goal.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #39647 on: September 24, 2020, 08:13:48 pm »

Everyone knows they had slaves, but not everyone remembers that only landowners could vote back then.

Abolition of property requirements started in 1792 (Kentucky), and was complete by 1854 (North Carolina being the last holdout). This means that there were only 5 years under the Constitution (less, in practice, because implementing the thing in full took a long time) where it was universal, and 56 years where it existed at all. Unfortunately, most states did so by specifying that all "free white men" had the right to vote, while black men that met the property requirement had previously enjoyed the franchise.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #39648 on: September 25, 2020, 12:10:16 am »

Sort of like when the Swedish burghers started deciding women were no longer allowed to vote in the 1600s I guess
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39649 on: September 25, 2020, 04:17:04 am »

Sort of like when the Swedish burghers started deciding women were no longer allowed to vote in the 1600s I guess
Surely "meatbulls"...  :P

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #39650 on: September 25, 2020, 05:17:13 am »

The founders were probably more optimistic and believed the checks and balances wouldn't have been sidestepped by all branches being compromised under the same party/goal.

Information moved slowly at that time. Lifelong appointment of the supreme court probably hails from that - a stable decision maker when information isn't readily available.

That is no longer the case.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39651 on: September 25, 2020, 10:38:36 am »

The rationale for lifelong appointments to USCS was also in large part to make it non-partisan. If you are appointed for life, you don't have to cater to your party or voters to stay in power, you don't have to make deals or pander, etc.  The bar to impeach a justice is quite high; as we've seen, it's pretty rare for an impeachment to result in conviction and removal from office.

So the appointment term does help the USCS be apolitical, but it doesn't guarantee it.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39652 on: September 25, 2020, 10:44:04 am »

It's like it defers all the position's politicalness away from the judge's term and up front to their appointment. :p

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39653 on: September 25, 2020, 12:01:21 pm »

There's also the factors of both life expectancy and age trends having a bearing here. In the past federal court nominees (including, but not limited to, the Supreme Court) tended to be older for various reasons (e.g. experience, wisdom, ageism against the young) and had shorter life expectancies, leading to (relatively!) shorter tenures.

It's honestly a little too early to tell for sure if it'll lead to significantly longer average term length, but a recent trend has leaned towards parties preferring younger nominees for the bench in order to 'lock in' a seat for as long as possible. Which is not exactly the best reason to choose a particular person.

On the flipside, there's the already mentioned issue of judges having to 'run for reelection'. A limited, single term might help alleviate that, but then puts greater pressure on having a solid and large stable of sufficiently-qualified judges.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39654 on: September 25, 2020, 01:15:39 pm »

Maybe once we develop negligible senescence in humans, we could give em nice round terms of a century. Hooray for theoretical technological solutions to political problems!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39655 on: September 25, 2020, 01:40:55 pm »

I am fully willing to enact the SCOTUS acceleration scenario. I'm mentioning this because I'm realizing you all sort of thought I was joking the other times I mentioned it, but it's not a joke. I'm serious.

I am completely alright with SCOTUS expanding include to all 328 million people living in the United States, as well as everyone who is dead (this is legal), all non-Americans (this is legal), and children (this is legal).

As your future Supreme Court Justice, I believe this will enact the truest form of Constitutional democracy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39656 on: September 25, 2020, 01:48:18 pm »

Maybe once we develop negligible senescence in humans,

IRTA "negligable sentience", for a barest moment. ;)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39657 on: September 25, 2020, 03:06:09 pm »

I am fully willing to enact the SCOTUS acceleration scenario. I'm mentioning this because I'm realizing you all sort of thought I was joking the other times I mentioned it, but it's not a joke. I'm serious.

I am completely alright with SCOTUS expanding include to all 328 million people living in the United States, as well as everyone who is dead (this is legal), all non-Americans (this is legal), and children (this is legal).

As your future Supreme Court Justice, I believe this will enact the truest form of Constitutional democracy.

So, in short anything which goes up to the supreme court would get stasised into an eternal limbo state because everyone can't meet? Or would it essentially be a referendum? That sounds pretty sensible, actually. If the courts can't decide something, it gets tossed to the public to decide?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39658 on: September 25, 2020, 03:11:40 pm »

But we are the Court.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39659 on: September 25, 2020, 03:22:40 pm »

No we're the Senate.
Pages: 1 ... 2642 2643 [2644] 2645 2646 ... 3566