Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2591 2592 [2593] 2594 2595 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227659 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38880 on: August 23, 2020, 02:23:38 pm »

One of the 'funny' parts is that the main delay for infrastructure projects is actually lack of funding, not red tape. Furthermore, in many situations where red tape is a problem it's merely serving as the front for a major internal/external fight that is bigger than the paperwork.

Not to say NIMBYism ('Not In My Back Yard') doesn't exist, just that it's less prevalent than politicians argue.

(There's also the issue of types of NIMBYism - e.g. the rich suburbans blocking a local park or public transit access v. the minority community trying to prevent literal destruction of their neighborhood by highway construction. Despite the pejorative term it's not always so simple.)

And yeah, there's the ongoing issue of what type of infrastructure is actually being built/considered. One of the core legislative policy vehicles for that, revealingly dubbed 'The Highway Bill' despite ostensibly funding lots of other infrastructure as well, needs a whole lot of reform.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38881 on: August 25, 2020, 05:49:45 am »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38882 on: August 25, 2020, 05:51:55 am »

"They ordained the Trumps, and then he got the mumps, and died being treated at Mount Sinai."

One wheel short of a wagon

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38883 on: August 25, 2020, 08:29:47 am »

day 4 is gonna wrap up with them all chugging kool-aid, isn't it
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38884 on: August 25, 2020, 09:22:56 am »

Hahaha George W. Bush is seriously contemplating voting for and supporting Biden because he thinks Trump is horrible.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38885 on: August 25, 2020, 09:57:15 am »

It's long been known that Trump has no support from any prior[1] President, and attitudes clearly on the 'wrong' side of strict neutrality, even Dubya.

But the current thing is "...The Deep State!", so that'd hardly be meaningful (or all too meaningful) among those already sucked in. It may mean a political implosion, but it's leaves at the very least a neutronium stellar fragment purturbing everything around it.

[1] Living. Can't say for sure about all the dead ones.

(For relatively recent examples, R-wise, MAGA-types claim Reagan but I'm not so sure they'd be right. 'Aitch-Dubya probably would decry matters as they now are. I think Nixon would raise eyebrows at the way things have gone.)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38886 on: August 25, 2020, 11:01:47 am »

[1] Living. Can't say for sure about all the dead ones.

https://youtu.be/_zep-CX0Rws?t=518

Confirmed, Trump is a clone baby from the 70s, aged acceleratedly, controlled and supported by the Patriots. A collection of AIs based on George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln.

His real reason for wanting to be on Mount Rushmore is to become equals with the AIs that control him.

Secretly though he is the physical incarnation of JD. John Doe. The master AI who controls the others.

John Doe. Reversed, Doe John. And lengthened to Donald John.

The puzzle pieces are all fitting together finally. The corkboard strings are all finding their mutual crossing point.

That point is Hideo Kojima.

Something bigger is going on here. Something we're, as the general populace, are not seeing. The Patriots controlled Trump's genes. Trump controls the memes. The memes hide the themes. I'm still in a dream.

</sarcasm> (maybe)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #38887 on: August 25, 2020, 11:06:30 am »

It's long been known that Trump has no support from any prior[1] President, and attitudes clearly on the 'wrong' side of strict neutrality, even Dubya.

Which is funny, considering he's done very little without precedent among them.  Just reinforces my perspective that the reason they hate him is because he's bad PR, not because of anything he actually does.  Because he makes everything so ugly on its face, he forces them to publicly take stands against things they would normally do themselves and just quietly get away with.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38888 on: August 25, 2020, 11:07:14 am »

The Patriots controlled Trump's genes. Trump controls the memes. The memes hide the themes.

Memes!  The DNA of the soul!
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38889 on: August 25, 2020, 11:13:05 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:38:44 pm by dragdeler »
let

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38890 on: August 25, 2020, 11:39:23 am »

Actually the word meme was deliberately constructed to ressemble the word gene and originally intended to designate the smallest part of an idea. (as far as I can tell)
No, not the smallest part of an idea, but any idea that reproduces "on its own" by transfer between minds, as an analogue to genes.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38891 on: August 25, 2020, 11:45:28 am »

Because he makes everything so ugly on its face,
I agree. It's a complete lack of 'finesse'. (Or, at least, a visible lack. In the higher-dimensions of the game of chess, perhaps there's some finesse that eludes me, that's how good it is.)

Where the archetypal Frank Underwood (or, as original, Francis Urquhart) would play dirty behind the scenes to look good in public, and even Jed Bartlet would pull strings behind the scenes[1], Trump taps into a stream where he makes no obvious effort rather than do it apparently effortlessly. Which probably endears him to a particular subset of cynics, as well as an allied set of the subcritical. (Then add to that the opportunistic tailcoat-riders who can move in on the territory.)

My own/others' cynicism/subcriticality/opportunism[delete as inapplicable] isn't compatible, but perhaps I'd be(/I have been) sucked into an opposingly polarised bull-in-a-Jynah-shop approach.

[1] Or let them be pulled. c.f. when he 'accidentally' made a comment 'off air, but on camera'.

ETA:
No, not the smallest part of an idea, but any idea that reproduces "on its own" by transfer between minds, as an analogue to genes.
Would the 'smallest part of an idea' be considered a m(emory-c)odon? Or a m(emory-b)ase?

(Cue frantic scramble to shoehorn something into "moron". Or, indeed, just "base".)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 11:49:57 am by Starver »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38892 on: August 25, 2020, 11:49:01 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:38:49 pm by dragdeler »
let

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38893 on: August 25, 2020, 11:51:01 am »

If it's a narcisistic idea, it's a mememe!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38894 on: August 25, 2020, 11:51:29 am »

Would the 'smallest part of an idea' be considered a m(emory-c)odon? Or a m(emory-b)ase?

(Cue frantic scramble to shoehorn something into "moron". Or, indeed, just "base".)
I don't think ideas really have "smallest parts" in any concrete way and we shouldn't overthink this.  :P
Pages: 1 ... 2591 2592 [2593] 2594 2595 ... 3566