Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2548 2549 [2550] 2551 2552 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223407 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38235 on: July 28, 2020, 03:40:51 pm »

It is at this point I reveal to wierd that the rhetoric these people are using is that hydroxychloroquine only works to protect you from the 'rona if you take it alongside zinc pills.

Take cover.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38236 on: July 28, 2020, 03:41:42 pm »

Tell them all they need to make it into hydroxychloroquine is a good and liberal application of drain cleaner, to give it that needed hydroxyl group.

*edit

I should probably point out that I do not actually encourage this, and fully am aware that people really are stupid enough to try that.  (I am also cynical and bastardly enough to also have conflicting internal views that this is probably for the best overall, if those people actually did off themselves with a toxic cocktail of aquarium and drain cleaners.)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 03:50:24 pm by wierd »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38237 on: July 28, 2020, 03:49:21 pm »

It is at this point I reveal to wierd that the rhetoric these people are using is that hydroxychloroquine only works to protect you from the 'rona if you take it alongside zinc pills.

Take cover.

At this point it's really No True Scotsman logic in full blast. So, the original claim is that HCQ helps, then those studies finding that it helps are debunked, so they latch onto the "ah but they didn't take it with Zinc!" argument, based on some pure scientific speculation from some research notes. When subsequent tests with zinc can't find any positive effects, they'll claim that there's some other deficiency in the experiments that must be applied to make it actually work.

---

Meanwhile the news is that some seemingly random people in labcoats held a press conference claiming HCQ works, and they've been roundly mocked.

The Republicans are now trying to say that the mainstream media is being inconsistent, since "doctors" were supposed to be believed. The woman leading them apparently studied to be a doctor, in Nigeria. However, there's been no actual evidence of which school she went to or whether she even graduated.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 03:54:19 pm by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38238 on: July 28, 2020, 03:53:24 pm »

I'm wondering if there has ever been a case of an element or simple molecule having a pharmacological effect on a pathogen.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38239 on: July 28, 2020, 03:53:52 pm »

OK.  Here's the new and improved formula then.

Add potassium hydroxide to chloroquine aquarium cleaner and heat gently in the flask. Pour through filter paper, and then mix with a side-shot of magnesium and zinc citrates.

Sure, it will cause massive gastric disturbances, AND will make you go blind before you die horribly-- but look on the bright side! You wont have COVID anymore!

I'm wondering if there has ever been a case of an element or simple molecule having a pharmacological effect on a pathogen.

Tin, Silver, Mercury, and several others.  Salt is a very simple molecule that has a profound impact on many pathogenic lifeforms, which is why it was used to make salted meats and salt-preserved fruits (like salted plums) for centuries.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 03:58:06 pm by wierd »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38240 on: July 28, 2020, 03:56:47 pm »

Sure there has. You can pack a wound with sugar and it'll have anti-microbial effects for example. Plenty of microbes can be dealt with with basic alcohol or sugars for example.

But those pathogens aren't the ones we're going to be talking about, because dealing with them is a solved problem.

---

EDIT: looking into the so-called doctor from Texas behind the HCQ claims. She writes a bunch of religious books and runs a thing called Fire Power Ministries.

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Stella-Immanuel/e/B00JAC2TXK%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share

The group she runs "America's Frontline Doctors" and which all the matching labcoats stated they're from doesn't seem to have existing before very recently. The very fact that they wore labcoats to stage the press conference is dubious as fuck.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 04:16:17 pm by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38241 on: July 28, 2020, 04:08:50 pm »

You know...

Some part of me has been activated by this bullshit exchange session... A part I hate having activated because it produces an endless stream of really bad ideas, as all kinds of bad connections get made.

Here's one of them:  Tomatine and co.  It's found in tomato plants (and to a lesser degree, in fresh tomatoes, especially cherry tomatoes.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomatine

It's a glycoalkaloid, that can (in its unprotonated form) bind with sterols, like cholesterol, which are important components in cell membranes of animal cells.  My brain is missing some details here, (and again, this is the result of the "BAD IDEAS" generator, that I wish I could shut the hell off), but it could conceivably disrupt viral capsids as well.

If you are going to spread fake bullshit about public health, at least offer one that is not actively harmful to the gullible and stupid-- Suggest that they need to eat lots and lots of tomatoes, and that when they get the shits from it--- that means its working.  :D

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38242 on: July 28, 2020, 04:14:02 pm »

Meanwhile the news is that some seemingly random people in labcoats held a press conference claiming HCQ works, and they've been roundly mocked.
That's the thing I mentioned that first Facebook then Twitter removed from the Trump postings.

Anyway, on the zinc front, you obviously just need to galvanise the HCQ (or CQ) pills... First you need to make them high-iron. Conductively so.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38243 on: July 28, 2020, 04:16:49 pm »

Galvanize...so what you're saying is....to cure the 'rona...we need to run a high-voltage electric current through the admixture of HQC and zinc?
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #38244 on: July 28, 2020, 04:17:49 pm »

Sure there has. You can pack a wound with sugar and it'll have anti-microbial effects for example. Plenty of microbes can be dealt with with basic alcohol or sugars for example.

But those pathogens aren't the ones we're going to be talking about, because dealing with them is a solved problem.

---

EDIT: looking into the so-called doctor from Texas behind the HCQ claims. She writes a bunch of religious books and runs a thing called Fire Power Ministries.

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Stella-Immanuel/e/B00JAC2TXK%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share

The group she runs "America's Frontline Doctors" and which all the matching labcoats stated they're from doesn't seem to have existing before very recently. The very fact that they wore labcoats to stage the press conference is dubious as fuck.

Are salt simple molecules? I think salt is anti-bacterial. Or is it just because it dries stuff out?
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38245 on: July 28, 2020, 04:19:11 pm »

Salt dries things out because of diffusion

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38246 on: July 28, 2020, 04:20:15 pm »

table salt is sodium chloride. A 1:1 ratio of sodium and chlorine, held together by an ionic bond.  It is an essential electrolyte, but in high concentrations, it inhibits nearly all lifeforms.

And, since you guys have activated the bullshit sector of my brain, and the only defense I have against it is to shut it the hell up with lots of data about how it is wrong--- I have been looking into cholesterol vis-a-vis covid.

YOUFUCKERS. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME.
https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200512/Does-cholesterol-play-a-role-in-COVID-19.aspx

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38247 on: July 28, 2020, 04:29:44 pm »

go forth wierd my child

cure the rona plague

inept the under the counter cure

that being the kitchen counter
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38248 on: July 28, 2020, 04:31:10 pm »

That article is saying that high cholesterol is bad for Covid though. It's actually good news however since diet is a controllable factor. So in other words, eat a good diet and exercise while in lockdown. These will have as much if not more benefit that obsessively washing hands with sanitizer.

I'm kinda guessing there are people out there who bath in anti-microbial sanitizer, or gargle the stuff, while still chain smoking and eating an unhealthy diet while not exercising.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 04:33:28 pm by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38249 on: July 28, 2020, 04:31:22 pm »

(MSH: And maybe the patient, just to make sure.)

Normal food salt is Na+Cl-. Almost a simple as you can get. Though it can be more complex like Pyridinium Acetate = C5H5NH+CH3COO, but I've no idea what that would be like, without digging up some old Chem books I have that might tell me.

(Or might not. NaCl does not obviously behave like a water-flammable metal plus a poison gas, no matter how much you put on your fish'n'chips, with the aq.CH3COOH solution.)

I don't care about you ninjas, including about the cholesterol, I really want some fish'n'chips now. Omega-3 oils, amirite?
Pages: 1 ... 2548 2549 [2550] 2551 2552 ... 3566