Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2546 2547 [2548] 2549 2550 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223048 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38205 on: July 24, 2020, 08:58:22 pm »

The first one is definitely a classic and has a lot of interesting discussions of ideologies and transmunanist philosophies.

The conspiracy theory plot in the original year 2000 Deus Ex is really well-written and researched, to the point that if you didn't know it was created much earlier you'd think was based on 9/11 conspiracy theories and/or Covid-19 conspiracy theories. So unlike many things, this thing really ages well due to the writing being top-notch and perennially relevant.

for people who don't mind being spoiled:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Another game that delivers the same sort of musing would be Bioshock, although Bioshock is musing about what would happen if you implemented Ayn Rand's objectivism ideology of capitalism in its extremity. The Deus Ex future is more plausible than this one however, which is frankly more a fantastical what-if, unless you think that the government is going to collapse and big pharma will take over, and literally everyone will morph into mutant homicidal dope fiends, ruled over, in the rubble, by a cyber-mutant Jeff Bezos.

Both games came out of the same original place however, the remnants of Looking Glass Studios. So it's not really a surprise that they're similar. The lead designer for Deus Ex was the original creator for System Shock, while the lead designer for Bioshock made System Shock 2.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 09:22:07 pm by Reelya »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38206 on: July 25, 2020, 12:41:29 pm »

Deus Ex: Human Revolution was one of my most thoroughly enjoyed games of all time.

It doesn't have quite the same impact as the OG games, mind you, but it's quite good.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38207 on: July 25, 2020, 05:17:59 pm »

Metal Gear Solid 2 predicted a lot of what goes on these days about controlling media and information to control people.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #38208 on: July 25, 2020, 09:27:29 pm »

Except where the problem today is too much uncontrolled information, much of which is bogus. If anything, MGS2 predicted the opposite of what would happen.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38209 on: July 25, 2020, 09:29:53 pm »

Except where the problem today is too much uncontrolled information, much of which is bogus. If anything, MGS2 predicted the opposite of what would happen.

Except the president can just declare any news false and enough people will just believe him.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #38210 on: July 25, 2020, 09:37:16 pm »

Both things happen.

There were a lot of major potential dystopias proposed from the 50s to 2000s, and the sociologically focused ones pretty much all got some things right.  It's just that none ended up being the all-encompassing single defining feature of the real dystopia we have today. 
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #38211 on: July 25, 2020, 10:25:03 pm »

Except the president can just declare any news false and enough people will just believe him.

That's largely possible because of all the actual fake news out there - the epic mass of conspiracy theories are giving him credence on a "where there is smoke, there must be fire" basis. All of which is possible entirely because there is no central media control, and no floodgates on the information river.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38212 on: July 25, 2020, 10:45:55 pm »

A big no thank you from me on the "central media control" front. I would prefer bogus information being spread to central government censorship of any kind.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38213 on: July 26, 2020, 12:32:11 am »

Speaking of bogus information isn't it about time to see all those 'russians' around the forum again causing whatever internet controversy can be used to influence the next round of make the nation/country/state/people of america great again.  Or did it already begin some time ago?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #38214 on: July 26, 2020, 12:52:38 am »

I guess it's been ongoing.

I'd actually love if the CIA put out international news, but wouldn't trust them to not skew it heavily toward their agenda.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38215 on: July 26, 2020, 01:00:37 am »

Well they do make the CIA world factbook, which is most useful to disconfirm things the administration is saying. However doing that in this post-truth era is going to be less effective, because if Republicans say Trump said something and you point to official US government agencies that contradict it, they're just going to say "Deep State Fake News" at you.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 01:02:30 am by Reelya »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38216 on: July 26, 2020, 11:41:09 am »

I guess it's been ongoing.

I'd actually love if the CIA put out international news, but wouldn't trust them to not skew it heavily toward their agenda.

There is Voice of America. But that's almost definitely, for sure, probably not, plausibly deniably not CIA controlled.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #38217 on: July 26, 2020, 05:06:08 pm »

It's also been struggling because the administration has been attacking it and attempting to strip it of its independence the same way its done with the CDC and most other organizations at this point.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38218 on: July 26, 2020, 06:22:05 pm »

In slightly amusing ameripol news, apparently Hannah destroyed some of trump's super durable perfect wall that will last centuries.

My source was Reddit, so take that with salt.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38219 on: July 26, 2020, 09:42:02 pm »

In slightly amusing ameripol news, apparently Hannah destroyed some of trump's super durable perfect wall that will last centuries.

My source was Reddit, so take that with salt.

I'm seeing refutations and suggestions it may be video from January when sections were blown over in California by high winds.

Not saying it didn't happen, but I'm not seeing any confirming evidence. Also that was not a particularly strong storm, all things considered and the border area was not getting the highest winds in it.
Pages: 1 ... 2546 2547 [2548] 2549 2550 ... 3566