Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2545 2546 [2547] 2548 2549 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223521 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38190 on: July 24, 2020, 11:08:07 am »

I think that's just the Philosopher King from Plato.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38191 on: July 24, 2020, 12:42:49 pm »

The reality, is that "what is quantifiably the best for all possible groups of humans, where no specific one gets unfair advantage" is undesirable by all groups of humans, because none of them get favoritism.

They would see it as the worst, and most oppressive form of rule.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38192 on: July 24, 2020, 12:44:26 pm »

A dictator isn't fascism, nor does a fascist need to officially be a dictator, though they certainly need to be anti-democratic. This is what fascism is.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38193 on: July 24, 2020, 12:49:34 pm »

Sadly, the United States meets a great many of those criteria, especially in recent years.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38194 on: July 24, 2020, 01:37:42 pm »

I think, when reading what Umberto Umberto umberto lists, there I could probably say there is an example to each and every of his points...

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38195 on: July 24, 2020, 03:16:29 pm »

WW2?

But wait, you fought the fascists then, that's different then.

Not that different. We also built concentration camps at that time.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #38196 on: July 24, 2020, 04:08:53 pm »

Not unless the “nation” refers to all of humanity, and the “dictator” actually cares for the interests of all humans, not power, so, the brutal suppression of opposition would be a no.

"NG is Decima Technologies" confirmed :)

Sadly, the United States meets a great many of those criteria, especially in recent years.

"4. Disagreement is Treason"
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 04:13:05 pm by Eschar »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38197 on: July 24, 2020, 04:29:27 pm »

Not unless the “nation” refers to all of humanity, and the “dictator” actually cares for the interests of all humans, not power, so, the brutal suppression of opposition would be a no.

Haha, I originally thought Greer was in it for power, until he asked Samaritan what he should do, rather than commanding him/her/it, like I thought he would. If both The Machine and Samaritan wish for the betterment of humanity as a whole, why do they fight? Of course, their methods differ, but the end goal seems similar

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38198 on: July 24, 2020, 05:07:20 pm »

Rational people with the same end goal but different methods might fight if they both believe the other's method won't actually work, or if they disagree on what things must be sacrificed.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #38199 on: July 24, 2020, 06:29:47 pm »

Haha, I originally thought Greer was in it for power, until he asked Samaritan what he should do, rather than commanding him/her/it, like I thought he would. If both The Machine and Samaritan wish for the betterment of humanity as a whole, why do they fight? Of course, their methods differ, but the end goal seems similar

What Egan said. Samaritan believes that it's acceptable to sacrifice innocent people for that greater end, while the Machine doesn't - or at least has far higher standards, as when it (FINE, Root, "she") wanted Finch and co. to kill McCourt. It's baked into their very interfaces: the Machine only outputs SSNs to Northern Lights and Team Machine, prompting further investigation, the details of which are left in human hands, while Samaritan gives specific orders/advice on it's own - like "eliminate"; the Machine, at worst, only marks someone as a relevant threat/threat to herself. The Machine knows Samaritan will continue sacrificing people for its utopia, and Samaritan knows the Machine will keep trying to stop it from doing that. So there's automatically an "operational conflict" (to quote the Machine) between them.

Samaritan wants to achieve its goal no matter how many people it must sacrifice. The Machine was taught that "people are not things you can sacrifice, and anyone who looks at life like it is a game of chess deserves to lose."

...wow, that's off topic. Or is it? *cough* PRISM *cough*
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 06:34:57 pm by Eschar »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38200 on: July 24, 2020, 06:49:43 pm »

Rational people with the same end goal but different methods might fight if they both believe the other's method won't actually work, or if they disagree on what things must be sacrificed.

What Egan said. Samaritan believes that it's acceptable to sacrifice innocent people for that greater end, while the Machine doesn't - or at least has far higher standards, as when it (FINE, Root, "she") wanted Finch and co. to kill McCourt. It's baked into their very interfaces: the Machine only outputs SSNs to Northern Lights and Team Machine, prompting further investigation, the details of which are left in human hands, while Samaritan gives specific orders/advice on it's own - like "eliminate"; the Machine, at worst, only marks someone as a relevant threat/threat to herself. The Machine knows Samaritan will continue sacrificing people for it's utopia, and Samaritan knows the Machine will keep trying to stop it from doing that. So there's automatically an "operational conflict" (to quote the Machine's) between them.

Samaritan wants to achieve its goal no matter how many people it must sacrifice. The Machine was taught that "people are not things you can sacrifice, and anyone who looks at life like it is a game of chess deserves to lose."

...wow, that's off topic. Or is it? *cough* PRISM *cough*
Thank you both. About PRISM, it seems to be supervised by the U. S. Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, and used by theNSA. Humans are the ones sorting through the data PRISM collects, which I’m not sure most would consider better or worse than an AI doing the sorting and recommendations. What if PRISM were made into something like The Machine, PRISM’s AI and humans’ BI both working together to prevent terrorism, and possibly other crimes.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #38201 on: July 24, 2020, 06:55:59 pm »

Well, the social graph analysis software used by the NSA was similar to that idea, although not actually intelligent of course. Genoa II was also designed to facilitate the usage of analysis software, IIRC.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #38202 on: July 24, 2020, 07:27:37 pm »

Hey Naturegirl, have you ever played Deus Ex? Some of the themes of that game seem like they'd interest you.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38203 on: July 24, 2020, 07:32:10 pm »

I haven’t, I will when I get the chance

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #38204 on: July 24, 2020, 07:39:55 pm »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: 1 ... 2545 2546 [2547] 2548 2549 ... 3566