Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2506 2507 [2508] 2509 2510 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223536 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #37605 on: June 26, 2020, 11:33:25 pm »

Nooses being used for hanging people isn't racist though. Nooses being used to hang specifically black people is.
However, nooses were not and are not exclusively used to hang black people. They're symbols of death, not racism. I'm saying that it could be taken the same way someone spray-painting the grim reaper on their car could be taken. That's not racist at all.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #37606 on: June 26, 2020, 11:49:50 pm »

There are other uses for a noose, anything you'd want to secure with a loop that tightens under pressure and won't come loose unless the thing it's around is removed.  A garage door pull isn't that, and even if it was there are multiple ways to tie a noose for non-execution purposes.  The one with the big twisty above the loop was designed specifically for killing people and whoever tied it knew that when he did it.

Re: New reply:  This dude seems to disagree with you as far as the symbolism of nooses go
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 11:53:06 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #37607 on: June 26, 2020, 11:52:47 pm »

I remember my friends and I in high school went through a noose-tying phase, because that's the kind of kids we were. Shoelaces, strings from packaging, wire, whatever was string-based in nature, we'd all practice making little mini-nooses, the kind of thing you could hang a mouse with.

Why? What is "the kind of kids" you were?

Re nooses: the associations of any symbol are dependent on its history. I have not seen nooses used as a general symbol of death - that is, unless made by the same person "targeted" or owning the noose, as nenjin described. Thus giving a noose to someone else or setting it up somewhere other than your own area would more likely symbolize "I think you should kill yourself"... that or "I think you should be lynched."
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 12:01:26 am by Eschar »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #37608 on: June 26, 2020, 11:55:02 pm »

Nooses being used for hanging people isn't racist though. Nooses being used to hang specifically black people is.
However, nooses were not and are not exclusively used to hang black people. They're symbols of death, not racism. I'm saying that it could be taken the same way someone spray-painting the grim reaper on their car could be taken. That's not racist at all.
I mean, I might buy that if it were specifically included with/involved a gallows, as well. Hanging off random shit puts you a hell of a lot closer to lynching territory, and if you try to argue that ain't racist in the fucking USA you either ain't from around here or you're actively throwing out bullshit racist smokescreens. Ain't really a third option. Closest that'd come to one is staggering ignorance, and I doubt anyone capable of stringing a coherent sentence together is that blitheringly ignorant.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #37609 on: June 27, 2020, 12:59:34 am »

I mean, I might buy that if it were specifically included with/involved a gallows, as well. Hanging off random shit puts you a hell of a lot closer to lynching territory, and if you try to argue that ain't racist in the fucking USA you either ain't from around here or you're actively throwing out bullshit racist smokescreens. Ain't really a third option. Closest that'd come to one is staggering ignorance, and I doubt anyone capable of stringing a coherent sentence together is that blitheringly ignorant.
We clearly haven't had contact with the same circles of racist then - the ones I know don't use nooses like that. Nooses were, where I live, the territory of your goths, punks, and emos. Usually they're more of a symbol of suicide than anything else.

I live not too far from Alabama too. Don't assume just because you've never seen a noose used that way that it's someone trying to justify racism. It's entirely possible you're the one making erroneous assumptions here.

There are other uses for a noose, anything you'd want to secure with a loop that tightens under pressure and won't come loose unless the thing it's around is removed.  A garage door pull isn't that, and even if it was there are multiple ways to tie a noose for non-execution purposes.  The one with the big twisty above the loop was designed specifically for killing people and whoever tied it knew that when he did it.

Re: New reply:  This dude seems to disagree with you as far as the symbolism of nooses go
I don't think he really needs the noose, considering the obvious klan hood he's wearing. The implied meaning behind something can change based on context. To use your argumentation method, I don't think the makers of this halloween decoration were trying to scare kids by the implication of lynching a black guy. Something makes me think these emo kids are saying something totally different with it too.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37610 on: June 27, 2020, 02:24:26 am »

I had an idea, and I wanted your guys' input on it: what about "Democracy by Accretion" ? What I mean is, all democratically appointed positions like the Senate, House of Representatives, or the Presidency are permanent positions, held for life or until the position is willingly vacated, but the catch is that elections still happen at the appointed times, and the newly elected people are just 'added' to the existing incumbency; and everyone in that incumbency therefore has to share all the powers with all the other members, with no privilege given to seniority.

So over the course of say, two decades, the Senate and House of representative would bloat to thousands of members and the President's office would have 6 people in it, and growing.

I'm thinking that it'd get big moneyed interests out, as politicians would no longer need to rely on them for campaign funding for re-election. People in permanent positions could finally have breathing room to implement long plans that they can actually follow through on and see to the end. Conversely, they would not have total control, the voting population can't replace them, but they can add people of differing temperaments and ideologies to counteract them, or to supplement them if they like them. The massive bloat of people in held positions would mean that no one person would have that much power, and getting smaller over time, making the corruption of the offices very unlikely. This would also force all officials to be very cooperative, and to work together to get anything done, resulting in legislation that serves the greatest number; which is appropriate for a very large nation like the United States.

The attitude of elections would be very different as well, knowing that whomever is voted in is going to be sticking around and can't be removed easily. There would be still impeachment procedures, though impeachment would probably be a much easier and less dramatic affair, considering how many officials there are, removing one or two wouldn't be seen as a big deal if they're demonstrably bad. The threat of assassination of an elected official is also notably decreased, because if you have 10 Presidents, and 10 Vice Presidents, with more on the way, it won't rock the nation if one of them gets gunned down by a crazed assassin. 

Additionally, you could think of each election representing that specific time, the specific zeitgeist of the people, with the elected representative being the output of that zeitgeist; so the elected officials of 12 years ago are still representing the zeitgeist of that era, while the latest one is representing that latest zeitgeist.

Though of course, this might mean that eventually the various Houses will need to be renovated to become larger, much larger, probably bigger than a football stadium, in order to accommodate all these elected officials. That might just make C-SPAN more entertaining to watch however, with snack vendors yelling over whomever is giving a speech, and the midday's proceedings being paused for a scheduled halftime show. 

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37611 on: June 27, 2020, 02:46:47 am »

This would also force all officials to be very cooperative, and to work together to get anything done, resulting in legislation that serves the greatest number; which is appropriate for a very large nation like the United States.

Or, more likely, resulting in no legislation at all.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37612 on: June 27, 2020, 04:14:54 am »

How about accretion, but with alternating days of complete executive power. Every year another election is held, actually scratch that, just make it 4 years and the person added can't be the same party as the last guy. Then, the presidents would be all the actual incumbents and losers of the last 40 years.

So, they rotate days on which they can rule by decree. Then if someone dies they don't have to have an election, but each remaining person gets days of power more often. The advantages over the existing situation would be clear. Bush would still be around, but so would Clinton, Obama, Kerry, Romney, etc, so Bush would be ordering them to invade Iraq on his day but the next day someone else would order them to stand down, back and forth and so on, so the invasion would never have got off the ground.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 04:34:33 am by Reelya »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37613 on: June 27, 2020, 07:41:31 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 01:27:54 pm by dragdeler »
let

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37614 on: June 27, 2020, 08:07:15 am »

Question:Why are we fighting Afghanistan?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #37615 on: June 27, 2020, 08:10:19 am »

We've always been at war with Eastasia
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37616 on: June 27, 2020, 08:10:59 am »

200 years of making sure Russia doesn't fight Afghanistan

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37617 on: June 27, 2020, 08:16:39 am »

Fighting a non-enemy sounds like a waste of time, life, resources and money. If they weren’t planning to attack us, then we needn’t have started the combat. Given what we’re doing, them becoming an enemy is understandable, all fighting neutral parties does is make enemies we wouldn’t have made otherwise

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37618 on: June 27, 2020, 08:21:39 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 01:28:00 pm by dragdeler »
let

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #37619 on: June 27, 2020, 08:27:22 am »

Fighting a non-enemy sounds like a waste of time, life, resources and money.
The primary aim of modern warfare is to use up the products of the machine without raising the general standard of living
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 2506 2507 [2508] 2509 2510 ... 3566