Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2430 2431 [2432] 2433 2434 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4221770 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #36465 on: April 26, 2020, 06:19:41 pm »

Wait, Trump was right?
in this instance yes. IoniIngnradiation knocks electrons from atoms, ionizing them, hence the name. This causes numerous problems as molecular bonds are broken and rearranged. So while it will mess up the proteins and nuclei acids of viroids, it will also mess with the host too

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36466 on: April 26, 2020, 06:24:55 pm »

It's a vague proposal at this point that as far as I can tell hasn't even been peer reviewed. The company that came up with the proposal seems to have announced it in an investor call on the 21st.

It makes sense that he got the idea from SOMEWHERE. But the idea doesn't seem to be at all sound.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36467 on: April 26, 2020, 06:26:21 pm »

It's a vague proposal at this point that as far as I can tell hasn't even been peer reviewed. The company that came up with the proposal seems to have announced it in an investor call on the 21st.

It makes sense that he got the idea from SOMEWHERE. But the idea doesn't seem to be at all sound.
I’m not saying it’s a good idea, quite the opposite

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36468 on: April 26, 2020, 06:30:48 pm »

How does the UV light get into your cells to kill the virus?

This is one of the biggest obstacles to using phototoxicity in vivo: Beer's Law. There isn't really a good way to saturate a given chunk of tissue with light evenly, at least not if it's supposed to absorb the light; more is always absorbed by the cells closer to the surface. Even if there were a given intensity that could kill pathogens but not cells, it's not possible to reach that intensity throughout the lungs, so there's always a concern that viruses from deeper in the lungs will come out and attack the now thoroughly sunburned cells at the surface.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #36469 on: April 26, 2020, 06:31:39 pm »

I’m not saying it’s a good idea, quite the opposite
Do you not want to know what it feels like to have sunburned lungs?

Live a little! Not for long, but a little!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #36470 on: April 26, 2020, 06:33:59 pm »

Wait, Trump was right?
I mean, fire will kill the virus too. If you stick a blowtorch into your lungs and set it off, the virus will not survive the fire! Bleach will kill the virus, too, for that matter. Lots of stuff will. As poison control exists to remind us, the issue isn't so much what kills the virus as what kills the virus and doesn't kill or maim the host.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36471 on: April 26, 2020, 06:39:48 pm »

Yeah, but a legitimate medical company, funded by Cedars-Sinai, wants to use UV light to treat COVID-19 (presumably, without damaging the patient).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 06:41:59 pm by ZBridges »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36472 on: April 26, 2020, 06:44:35 pm »

Really can't agree with your general thrust on this (not the least of which because you identify him as a mid-western boomer...). But he's a narcissist, not a "typical boomer." To confuse the two undermines your point, as I've known many selfish people in my time, and none are so nasty as the narcissists I know.

See, if you had said they weren't unique or special you could be very correct. There are many indeed, and curiously narcissists are profoundly similar in character and outlook, regardless of whether they are actually intelligent or fools, rich/poor or anything in between. But misunderstanding the narcissistic mindset is precisely how one finds themselves at their mercy, because they don't act like "normal" people would, even people in their demographic strata.

His mindset is closest to that of midwestern boomers - as a Republican, he can have no urban mindset in spite of being a New Yorker and he certainly doesn't act like an upstate Republican. He's got the exact cadence of your uncle at Thanksgiving, who has all sorts of fast and dirty political opinions that he is unshakably convinced would save America if any of the goddamn politicians would just have some common sense. Opinions that he knows everyone thinks are true too deep down, if they weren't brainwashed by feminism.

If anxiety is the disease of the millennial generation, then narcissism is the disease of the boomer generation. In my experience a large portion of the boomers still alive go beyond selfishness and into the narcissism spectrum. Indeed, I would vastly prefer mere selfishness, since selfish people are typically easily manipulated and listen to reason. The mindset of "I believe what I believe, which is not any specific thing but by virtue of what is being believed by me" is a narcissistic trait, indeed perhaps the narcissistic trait. The boomer politics of both the Republicans and the Democrats operate on this engine, and Trump most certainly does as well, but it is a mindset that is also vaunted and praised in the general population over age 50.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36473 on: April 26, 2020, 06:48:54 pm »

Yeah, but a legitimate medical company, funded by Cedars-Sinai, wants to use UV light to treat COVID-19 (presumably, without damaging the patient).

Yes, but if you read their own promotional material, they're trying to vaguely reduce viral load and maybe also secondary infections because UVA kills (edit: some*) pathogens and covid's a pathogen, even though UVA light isn't the germicidal kind.

The more I look into this company, the more I'm convinced it's more about buzz than anything else. You may notice, for example, the glaring lack of PhDs on the team, and how the team itself is led by laypeople with business rather than scientific experience. These are salespeople, not scientists.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 06:53:28 pm by Trekkin »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36474 on: April 26, 2020, 07:02:51 pm »

They don't have any PhDs on that team, but they do have four MDs with extensive experience. I don't think that these doctors are simply "salespeople." In addition, Johnson & Johnson, one of the largest biomedical companies in the world, is also lead largely by laypeople.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36475 on: April 26, 2020, 07:07:52 pm »

Johnson & Johnson gave thousands of people cancer via talcum powder.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36476 on: April 26, 2020, 07:12:01 pm »

How about Amgen? As far as I can tell, they don't have a single PhD or MD in their management team.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36477 on: April 26, 2020, 07:15:15 pm »

literally made all their money on drug misuse

which they ironically were doing to steal market share from Johnson & Johnson

i sure am glad america has the best medical industry in the world with the support of our proud patron joseph biden
No Gods, No Masters.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36478 on: April 26, 2020, 07:25:16 pm »

Amgen and Johnson & Johnson produce a lot of FDA-approved drugs, which are generally effective for their prescribed uses.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36479 on: April 26, 2020, 07:28:02 pm »

I saw talk about sexual assault allegations with Biden and I'm like, show me a tape of him talking about "yeah I'm gonna grab that pussy bitch, now quit crying and bring your sister in here" and I still think he's better than Trump.

It's literally that bad, Biden may be as much of a creepy assaulter as Trump and I don't care, he wouldn't have gotten tens of thousands of people killed by this point due to ignorance.

He can say "I don't know, let's ask someone, who's an expert on this?" freely.
Pages: 1 ... 2430 2431 [2432] 2433 2434 ... 3566