Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2423 2424 [2425] 2426 2427 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4221396 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #36360 on: April 20, 2020, 06:35:00 pm »

I am going to laugh for years over all the morons who bought negative price oil today getting sued for not picking up the 100,000 barrels of crude fucking oil they got paid to take.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #36361 on: April 20, 2020, 07:14:50 pm »

I don’t think they need to pick it up necessarily, just pay to have it stored someplace, which is why the folks want to get rid of the oil futures stuff for May since otherwise they’re paying for that.

As far as I understand it anyway which, considering the sum of my knowledge is the 10 minutes I spent reading a Beeb article and a CNN article, ain’t much.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36362 on: April 20, 2020, 07:25:51 pm »

Technically yes, and especially because you don't get any kind of container, just an obligation to siphon at the pipeline and store the oil in a legally-approved facility. But in all practical terms this means that anybody who bought this stuff will either be stuck renting oil storage space that's at an all-time premium right now, or they'll default and be sued.

Whether someone will show up with a pickup truck full of steel barrels and hope for the best remains to be seen.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36363 on: April 20, 2020, 07:30:16 pm »

I am going to laugh for years over all the morons who bought negative price oil today getting sued for not picking up the 100,000 barrels of crude fucking oil they got paid to take.
Same, and I don't have the same right to laugh as MSH has.
Merely despair seeing what is going to happen.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36364 on: April 20, 2020, 08:16:07 pm »

Apparently another problem they're running into is that the storage facilities that would normally be happy to take their money to store that oil are in fact filling up. So there IS no place to legally store the oil even if they wanted to take delivery.

This will all pass eventually. Oil will cost money again at some point. Still technically costs money for us plebs to actually get any use of. It's just that some of the uber rich are going to be losing some money off the whole deal that they can't simply wait out.

It's a weird occurrence to be sure, but it's small beans compared to the rest of the economy right now.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36365 on: April 20, 2020, 09:04:14 pm »

Whether someone will show up with a pickup truck full of steel barrels and hope for the best remains to be seen.
Enterprising small businesses.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #36366 on: April 20, 2020, 10:10:46 pm »

I'm still waiting for the black market TP dealers to start selling it on the street corners.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36367 on: April 20, 2020, 10:50:52 pm »

I scored some Scott toilet paper from a local quickshop/dillons-market a few days ago.  Never been so excited.

In other news, a friend of mine pointed out something interesting.  He likes to dig under the surface of things, and found that many of the "protest" group websites are all registered by the same registrar within minutes of each other, suggesting an astroturf campaign.

I'll just share his entire email.

Spoiler: It's long, Mkay? (click to show/hide)

And some links to journalistic sources.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/17/far-right-coronavirus-protests-restrictions
https://www.salon.com/2020/04/20/trump-and-the-astroturf-protests-an-ugly-cynical-new-strategy-to-divide-america/

Take it with a grain of salt, but it does seem to fit with Trump's behavior patterns when he is not allowed to get his way.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 10:58:43 pm by wierd »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36368 on: April 20, 2020, 11:16:33 pm »

https://www.reddit.com/r/maryland/comments/g3niq3/i_simply_cannot_believe_that_people_are/fnstpyl/

Link to (as far as I can tell) the original reddit comment that had most/all that info. It's had several edits since that version weird was sent. I did see it a day or two ago myself and it was almost identical to the email weird got at that point.

Just to warn, and as the original author has edited it to clarify. Most of it is pretty circumstantial, and it's already lead to some pretty unreasonable actions being taken against people who may not even be involved at all.

That said, it definitely looks like an astroturfing campaign, but that's not necessarily anything that should surprise anyone. We've been watching this happen for years now and the groups doing it have more or less gotten away with it. Thus far, despite the amount of follows it seems to have gotten in various states, the actual protests seem to have been pretty small, which is reassuring.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #36369 on: April 21, 2020, 08:03:29 am »

This will all pass eventually. Oil will cost money again at some point. Still technically costs money for us plebs to actually get any use of. It's just that some of the uber rich are going to be losing some money off the whole deal that they can't simply wait out.

It's a weird occurrence to be sure, but it's small beans compared to the rest of the economy right now.
Well... you say that but I was already hearing that the oil industry was in a pretty alarmed state after the Saudi-Russian dispute first happened, and that's hardly improved. A sustained price-per-barrel below $40 was described as a "mortal" threat to fracking and more expensive ways of getting oil, and below... I forget what the number was exactly, $20, $22 per barrel? Was described as a threat to the entire American oil industry. It's currently sitting at $21 per barrel for June, and something like $0.56 for the one that went negative. The other thing that's rough for the industry is a lot of oil companies were apparently, quote, "over-leveraged" and had a lot of debt. Even a short time with prices this low could cause bankruptcy.

All in all, it has the potential to do what the environmentalist movement could not, and simply shatter the oil industry's strength.

Thus far, despite the amount of follows it seems to have gotten in various states, the actual protests seem to have been pretty small, which is reassuring.
Yeah the protest in Texas had dozens, dozens! Assemble in front of the statehouse. It's hard to really grasp the public opinion on an issue like this when by definition the supporters of social distancing aren't going outside.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36370 on: April 21, 2020, 08:49:08 am »

I scored some Scott toilet paper from a local quickshop/dillons-market a few days ago.  Never been so excited.

In other news, a friend of mine pointed out something interesting.  He likes to dig under the surface of things, and found that many of the "protest" group websites are all registered by the same registrar within minutes of each other, suggesting an astroturf campaign.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/17/far-right-coronavirus-protests-restrictions
https://www.salon.com/2020/04/20/trump-and-the-astroturf-protests-an-ugly-cynical-new-strategy-to-divide-america/

Take it with a grain of salt, but it does seem to fit with Trump's behavior patterns when he is not allowed to get his way.

Actually, that guy apparently just bought up a bunch of those websites and never used them, intended to block idiots from doing so.

Edit: added link.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36371 on: April 21, 2020, 09:35:08 am »

Actually, that guy apparently just bought up a bunch of those websites and never used them, intended to block idiots from doing so.

Edit: added link.

Sounds like an extremely poorly conceived plan to put yourself into debt for something like that. We sure he wasn't just planning on reselling the domains to the astroturfers for a significant markup on the price? That's what I would have done, personally.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36372 on: April 21, 2020, 09:43:24 am »

I'm still waiting for the black market TP dealers to start selling it on the street corners.

Especially poorly-lit ones.

Sounds like an extremely poorly conceived plan to put yourself into debt for something like that. We sure he wasn't just planning on reselling the domains to the astroturfers for a significant markup on the price? That's what I would have done, personally.

Yeah, even I can think of ways around what he did. I think trying to sell at a markup would run him afoul of domain squatting laws (which, to be fair, is what he is trying to do).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 09:46:35 am by Iduno »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36373 on: April 21, 2020, 09:49:45 am »

Glad it was not legit astroturfing.

Still rather curious about all these protesters just suddenly deciding to come out of the woodwork though.  What part of the numbers do they have trouble with?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #36374 on: April 21, 2020, 09:55:40 am »

It's the usual "I don't know anyone who has it! Must not be real!" mentality + cabin fever.
Only until they themselves or a loved one literally drowns in their own lungs do they go "This shit is real, y'all! Stay indoors!"

Normalcy bias.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 2423 2424 [2425] 2426 2427 ... 3566