Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2399 2400 [2401] 2402 2403 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4226950 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #36000 on: April 03, 2020, 10:21:22 am »

I mean, it depends on what you want to do with it? Theoretically an amish-type culture that simultaneously had strong norms regarding population control and eco-management could self-sustain with a pretty small population in relative perpetuity if they were on decent land, assuming no major natural disasters (including disease, heh, and that not just for humans) or environmental change showed up for a visit. Either of the latter could easily force a move or just delete them.

Anything more ambitious/less inhuman than that starts needing more space, and more ability to move around. As a rule humans are pretty fucking bad at long term self-sustenance in a significantly limited geographical area. We've tended to eventually ruin wherever we're stuck at one way or another for most of our history. We get around that by, like, having big places to exploit without having to murder people (quite so hard) to get at it, and maybe trading with other places. Nations and whatnot.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36001 on: April 03, 2020, 11:08:30 am »

Well I mean, calling someone a subhuman in this context is indeed very close to Nazi territory, whether it's based upon their actions or not. Especially since Biden hasn't actually done anything you were angry at in your now removed comment, he's just spoken about what he would do. Declaring someone a subhuman based on their fully public, non-incitive, unofficial and frankly little-impact words to their supporters just downright doesn't make sense (and is obviously morally wrong.)

Saying that you will defy the will of the people who are voting for you to the effect of tens to hundreds of thousands of lost lives due to perpetuation of a broken healthcare system, and having the nerve to say it as a pandemic is raging:   "Non-incitive, unofficial, and little-impact"

Being hyperbolic when expressing anger at this:   "close to Nazi territory"

What actually happens doesn't matter.  What matters is how polite and impersonal we are with our language as we accept the deadly fate that trickles down on our heads from Tiphares.

Uh, not just "being hyperbolic," as you so eloquently masked it, but "throwing around words commonly associated with racial supremacy." That's what I don't like, hyperbolic or not. I make my own fair share of hyperbole, but I have some limits. Calling someone a "subhuman" is becoming incitive language.

I also never once said "what actually happens doesn't matter." I'm not sure where you're getting that from. I don't know how you can equate preferring for people not to call others subhumans and ask for their death with not caring what happens. Do you really believe dragdeler was going to somehow change "what actually happens" by calling Biden a subhuman?

Well I mean, calling someone a subhuman in this context is indeed very close to Nazi territory, whether it's based upon their actions or not. Especially since Biden hasn't actually done anything you were angry at in your now removed comment, he's just spoken about what he would do. Declaring someone a subhuman based on their fully public, non-incitive, unofficial and frankly little-impact words to their supporters just downright doesn't make sense (and is obviously morally wrong.)

He's been a far-right senator for long enough to have supported segregation, and made sure that student loan debt survives bankruptcy. Suffice to say, he's done things.

You'll notice I modified "anything" with "that you were angry at in your now removed comment." dragdeler was angry at Biden for saying he would not sign Medicare for All. I was saying condemning someone to the label "subhuman" because of their words of all things is wrong.

I'm no fan of Biden, either, for this reason and many others, but please let's have some restraint.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36002 on: April 03, 2020, 11:19:53 am »

I agree thst people should not cal, others subhuman

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36003 on: April 03, 2020, 11:27:00 am »

There exists a concept called "taking the high road." You can recognize that a person is an asshole and has a broke brain without using words generally associated with the genetic cleansing organization.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36004 on: April 03, 2020, 11:50:07 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 12:26:16 pm by dragdeler »
let

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36005 on: April 03, 2020, 11:54:43 am »

Ah, yes. There's always good reasons to call people subhuman.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #36006 on: April 03, 2020, 11:59:37 am »

Ah, yes. There's always good reasons to call people subhuman.

If you're going to call anyone subhuman, do so to the incels - they'll actually appreciate it.

(It's a term they use for themselves often... although they act like everyone else actually deserves the label.)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36007 on: April 03, 2020, 12:10:23 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 12:26:20 pm by dragdeler »
let

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36008 on: April 03, 2020, 12:58:12 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 12:26:25 pm by dragdeler »
let

Cheesy Honkers

• Bay Watcher
  • eat the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #36009 on: April 03, 2020, 01:28:09 pm »

While I wouldn't use the word subhuman, I'd certainly say Biden is anti-human, like all lapdogs of the rich.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36010 on: April 03, 2020, 01:47:36 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 12:26:30 pm by dragdeler »
let

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36011 on: April 03, 2020, 02:26:40 pm »

I like it doesn't have the same god-appealling whince to it than calling him inhumane, because like I scraped by that would require him to show sadism to be taken seriously.
humans can’t be less than human. Inhumane is a better descriptor

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36012 on: April 03, 2020, 02:39:13 pm »

I like it doesn't have the same god-appealling whince to it than calling him inhumane, because like I scraped by that would require him to show sadism to be taken seriously.
humans can’t be less than human. Inhumane is a better descriptor

But apparently superheroes can be.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #36013 on: April 03, 2020, 03:26:57 pm »

I think use of the word subhuman was slightly lacking in tact in the context of a public forum.  But I won't say I disapprove of it.

The thing is I know it's not meant literally.  They're not saying that Biden is literally, in actual DNA terms, an inferior breed, separate from a full-fledged human being.  They're just lashing out with it in anger as a hyperbolic pejorative.  Finding edgy words to stress just how strongly they disapprove of the guy, at a time when I imagine no language feels sufficient to communicate the feelings going on.  A eugenicist or fascist who uses that word means it literally.  It's not even an insult to them.  It's a statement of fact (banality of evil, indeed).

And I'm the type (growing increasingly rare, it seems) who believes that the actual meaning of what's being expressed is more important than the specific arrangement of letters used to express it.  And that actions or serious statements of intent to action are very much more important than both. 

So no - I won't say I disapprove of the use of the word subhuman in this context, because even though it's a word associated with usage by bad ideologies, it wasn't being used to express one of those bad ideologies.  It wasn't "close to Nazi territory" because it wasn't expressing anything close to Nazi ideas. 

In fact Biden, in terms of the actual meaning behind his words, was much closer to Nazi territory when he said that he wouldn't sign M4A.  Because that would literally, in the physical world, result in perpetuation of ongoing systemic violence that disproportionately targets based on racial minority and lineage.  If using the word "subhuman" in a non-literal way puts someone closer to Nazi territory in your book than ideological dedication to policies that mass cleanse the poor, then I think I don't have anything more to say to you.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #36014 on: April 03, 2020, 03:27:51 pm »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: 1 ... 2399 2400 [2401] 2402 2403 ... 3566