Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1752 1753 [1754] 1755 1756 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4221542 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #26295 on: December 03, 2018, 04:14:15 pm »

What's that? American politics are insane? Voter fraud and deliberate disenfranchisement? Well at least we aren't CLONES.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/03/its-real-me-nigerian-president-denies-dying-and-being-replaced-by-clone

Nigeria is a US ally and therefore I shall die on the hill of this being relevant.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #26296 on: December 03, 2018, 04:32:21 pm »

What's that? American politics are insane? Voter fraud and deliberate disenfranchisement? Well at least we aren't CLONES.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/03/its-real-me-nigerian-president-denies-dying-and-being-replaced-by-clone

Nigeria is a US ally and therefore I shall die on the hill of this being relevant.
'It's the real me': Nigerian president denies dying and being replaced by clone
That is EXACTLY what a clone would say
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26297 on: December 03, 2018, 05:28:53 pm »

'It's the real me': Nigerian president denies dying and being replaced by clone
That is EXACTLY what a clone would say

This feels like it calls for some sort of tricky answer. "Who would your clone say was the real president." or perhaps threatening to burn the country to the ground and then giving the presidency to the one who backs off first.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26298 on: December 03, 2018, 05:34:00 pm »

Unfortunately, we've seen how the latter goes...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #26299 on: December 03, 2018, 05:42:00 pm »

Unfortunately, we've seen how the latter goes...
Well, then the clone is clearly the most qualified of the two to be president. Problem solved!
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26300 on: December 04, 2018, 07:57:14 am »

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/12/trump-administration-organizes-pushback-against-its-own-climate-report/

Takeaway from this, we might have different reasons, be we really should all hate CNN.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #26301 on: December 04, 2018, 08:12:45 am »

The river that flows today is different than the river that flewd yesterday. Muhammadu Buhari of today has almost no cell in common with last year's Muhammadu Buhari. Even if he's not a clone, can we say it's really him? No.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26302 on: December 04, 2018, 09:46:25 am »

In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26303 on: December 04, 2018, 10:03:37 am »

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/12/trump-administration-organizes-pushback-against-its-own-climate-report/

Takeaway from this, we might have different reasons, be we really should all hate CNN.
Oh god. It's so bad.

To be fair, it doesn't single out CNN, it also bashes NBC and the press in general.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26304 on: December 04, 2018, 10:05:07 am »

Oh god. It's so bad.

To be fair, it doesn't single out CNN, it also bashes NBC and the press in general.
Well, yes. But you gotta love "CNN did eventually bring on a scientist, but then cut them short to talk to Rick Santorum."
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26305 on: December 04, 2018, 10:30:57 am »

Anyhow, Vox has a summary of what the heck is going on with NC. You know what's funny, the Republicans are trying to brush off the allegations and yet they're the ones crying voter fraud all the time. Seems like this would be exactly the kind of thing that would vindicate them and latch on like a rabid animal.

It would also be doubly ironic if it was the Republican candidate who actively encouraged it, though theres no hint yet AFAIK that it was the campaign doing it rather than a rogue actor.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26306 on: December 04, 2018, 10:51:38 am »

You know what's funny, the Republicans are trying to brush off the allegations and yet they're the ones crying voter fraud all the time. Seems like this would be exactly the kind of thing that would vindicate them and latch on like a rabid animal.

They don't want to reduce voter fraud, though. They explicitly (see Cindy Hyde-Smith) want to suppress poor, educated, and/or minority voters.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #26307 on: December 04, 2018, 11:57:41 am »

Republicans are in the habit of calling out their opponents on things they themselves do, or claiming that they themselves are doing the exact opposite of what they actually are.

Pro-life: Favors larger military, against welfare net, against gun control, against BLM
Right to work: suppresses unions
Voter fraud: accusing their opponents of voting more than they should when in fact they're going out of their way to make sure said opponents vote less than they should
Family values: Has done nothing to stop American families from slowly becoming unglued.  Favors economic policies that make kids unable to support their parents into old age, furthering the decline of the extended family.  Favors the idea that each American should be economically independent, an idea almost soley responsible for the smaller and less cohesive families we see in America compared to the rest of the country
Fiscal conservative: Calls liberals out on increasing the national deficit/debt, which if that's the standard is logically inconsistent with their desire to reduce taxes.  See: Reagan, Trump, Paul Ryan.
Welfare queen: Because as we all know, its black single moms that are cashing our welfare checks.  Its not like old white people are the single most costly demographic.  And its not like half the economy of every red state in the country is Walmart cashing in people's welfare checks the moment they clear or anything, that would be ridiculous...
Job Creators: The rich destroyed jobs in America by constantly outsourcing and devaluing labor, all to fuel their cult of continuous growth.
National sovereignty: Sells political influence for money*, reducing the ability of the American government to make unilateral decisions

Not to say that all of the ideas here are broken (large national deficit, large military, idea that Americans should be economically independent), but the phrasing used to describe them is... disconnected.  The use of this terminology is the only way the alt-right could have emerged.  The alt-right is a political movement based on obscuring its own message, which shouldn't be possible.  But the groundwork was laid and here we are.

*Both to corporations and nations, particularly Israel and, of course, Russia.  Democrats also take money from lobbyists but then we don't talk about national sovereignty do we?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26308 on: December 04, 2018, 12:11:38 pm »

Favors economic policies that make kids unable to support their parents into old age, furthering the decline of the extended family.  Favors the idea that each American should be economically independent, an idea almost soley responsible for the smaller and less cohesive families we see in America compared to the rest of the country

Obviously you meant the rest of the world there, but that's not an issue.

But, sorry, nuclear families have nothing to do with USA / Republican policies and everything to do with industrialization. Nations which industrialized early have smaller families and less of an extended family thing going on than nations which industrialized recently.

For example, there's not a whole stack of extended-family type culture going on in Germany or the UK either (it's not that different to the USA), despite those places having significantly better welfare policies. Having good unemployment benefits also leads to a culture where people don't feel they need to rely on extended family, so I'd say neither side of the fence of economic policies breaks up extended families. In fact a "no government assistance" approach probably increases the amount people rely on family, rather than decreasing it.

The difference is that places like Greece, Spain were largely agrarian until even after WWII, so within living memory. The Italians who went to America might have more of an extended family tradition due to the fact that the vast bulk of the emigrants came from the rural south, not the more industrialized areas of Italy.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 12:24:01 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26309 on: December 04, 2018, 12:27:35 pm »

Obviously you meant the rest of the world there, but that's not an issue.

But, sorry, nuclear families have nothing to do with USA / Republican policies and everything to do with industrialization. Nations which industrialized early have smaller families and less of an extended family thing going on than nations which industrialized recently.

For example, there's not a whole stack of extended-family type culture going on in Germany or the UK either (it's not that different to the USA), despite those places having significantly better welfare policies. Having good unemployment benefits also leads to a culture where people don't feel they need to rely on extended family, so I'd say neither side of the fence of economic policies breaks up extended families. In fact a "no government assistance" approach probably increases the amount people rely on family, rather than decreasing it.

The difference is that places like Greece, Spain were largely agrarian until even after WWII, so within living memory. The Italians who went to America might have more of an extended family tradition due to the fact that the vast bulk of the emigrants came from the rural south, not the more industrialized areas of Italy.
I'd say it's more due to urbanisation than industrialisation, but otherwise in agreement
Pages: 1 ... 1752 1753 [1754] 1755 1756 ... 3566