Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1735 1736 [1737] 1738 1739 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4225285 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #26040 on: November 22, 2018, 02:28:32 pm »

To be fair, smart phones are pretty democratic... they've brought internet access to a lot of poor communities that would otherwise have none.  Without them income inequality would be worse in the US because you fucking need some kind of email or such to get a job these days.  And also to be fair, there are ways we could not be shit to the native americans that don't involve giving up all of our land.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26041 on: November 22, 2018, 06:54:10 pm »

I don't see anyone having already mentioned this, so here: Over Nielsen and Kelly's vociferous objections, President Trump has authorized troops at the border to engage in law enforcement actions and use lethal force against migrants.

There's an obvious question as to whether this violates the Posse Comitatus Act, and a broader question of how far this administration's tailspin is going to continue.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26042 on: November 22, 2018, 07:04:05 pm »

Posse Comitatus was repealed by the Patriot Act, so that's kind of irrelevant. Whoever they kill will be terrorists because they were killed by Our Boys, and anti-terror activities are not covered by Posse Comitatus.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26043 on: November 22, 2018, 07:47:41 pm »

Posse Comitatus was repealed by the Patriot Act, so that's kind of irrelevant. Whoever they kill will be terrorists because they were killed by Our Boys, and anti-terror activities are not covered by Posse Comitatus.
Shit dude that's Ork rules
If you shoot them and you miss, they were friendly units
If you shoot them and you hit, they were enemy units

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #26044 on: November 22, 2018, 11:11:05 pm »

Technically you are all equally participant in the ongoing genocide of native Americans just by living in the US though

Those who walk away from Omelas would be better to change Omelas instead.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26045 on: November 22, 2018, 11:22:27 pm »

Guys, guys....you're missing the real meaning of Thanksgiving here. Trump remembered.

I'm pretty sure saying you're thankful for yourself gets your ass smacked with a wooden spoon in most dining rooms in this country.  ::)

Also, he turned the traditional Thanksgiving call with troops overseas for the holidays into a chance to rant about the judiciary, border security, and Mueller. If he was any more self-absorbed, he'd disappear into a black hole. A yuuuge black hole. The biggest.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26046 on: November 23, 2018, 12:34:17 am »

No no.  The hole itself is infinitesimal, regardless of its mass.  Now, the distortion it leaves on the rest of reality? That can be quite large. :P

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26047 on: November 23, 2018, 12:58:32 am »

Guys, guys....you're missing the real meaning of Thanksgiving here. Trump remembered.

I'm pretty sure saying you're thankful for yourself gets your ass smacked with a wooden spoon in most dining rooms in this country.  ::)

Also, he turned the traditional Thanksgiving call with troops overseas for the holidays into a chance to rant about the judiciary, border security, and Mueller. If he was any more self-absorbed, he'd disappear into a black hole. A yuuuge black hole. The biggest.

I think you get an exemption if you are leader of a cult & basically the mesiah. A lot of Trumpist's behaviour reminds me more of cults then politcs. Once you're ignoring any news thats inconvenient you are basically joining one.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26048 on: November 23, 2018, 01:02:54 am »

Obligatory The Oatmeal, vis a vis "The backfire effect"

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/believe

Just saying.  Ignoring or downplaying unpleasant information is endemic to humans in general, not just Trumpists.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26049 on: November 23, 2018, 01:09:30 am »

Obligatory The Oatmeal, vis a vis "The backfire effect"

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/believe

Just saying.  Ignoring or downplaying unpleasant information is endemic to humans in general, not just Trumpists.

Not to this extreme it isn't. It's like saying extreme is normal because normal behavour is a less extreme version of the same. This attitude that Trump can do no wrong isn't the normal political attitude, not on such a scale anyway.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #26050 on: November 23, 2018, 01:26:37 am »

I thought that the bigger a black hole is, the smaller it is?

Anyway, I don't know what to say to that link except *facepalm*.
Love, scriver~

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26051 on: November 23, 2018, 01:36:32 am »

Once it counts as a black hole it becomes impossible to know what size it is at our current level of understanding of physics.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26052 on: November 23, 2018, 01:42:32 am »

The singularity itself doesn't really have a physically meaningful size, but the Schwarzschild radius (the radius of the event horizon, and for all intents and purposes the size of the black hole as it concerns external observers) scales linearly with mass, as you might expect from a gravity well.

EDIT: Some pedant is going to chime in unhelpfully about the Kerr metric and how rotating black holes' event horizons don't correspond to their Schwarzschild radii, I just know it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 01:47:20 am by Trekkin »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26053 on: November 23, 2018, 02:52:14 am »

Naw, to me the funny thing about the comparison, is that like the singularity, Trump is a very tiny thing--- But the effect around him? YUUUUGE, and nothing can escape its ravenous maw once ensnared.

So, his rhetoric in that link--- "Thankful for the "difference" he made"... Yes, I am sure he is. It's how he keeps everything spiraling inward toward his infinite density ego, and unfathomable degree of Dunning Kruger. 

I find the analogy quite humorous.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26054 on: November 23, 2018, 02:58:31 am »

I heard singularities have tiny hands.
Pages: 1 ... 1735 1736 [1737] 1738 1739 ... 3566