Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1733 1734 [1735] 1736 1737 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4226131 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #26010 on: November 21, 2018, 07:38:49 pm »

If life were truly sacred to the faithful, they'd be out in droves protesting a) the way we treat the poor b) the amount of wars we wage and the civilian casualties they generate c) extrajudicial killings by police, etc and so forth.

Can confirm.  A couple of weeks ago I heard a preacher say Trump should tell the army to shoot Mexicans trying to cross the border.  I think I must have been having a silent seizure, since I can't believe he said that unironically, so maybe there was some additional context I missed.  But I don't think so.  This church believes that government provided healthcare is a vile sin too, so it's absolutely the stereotypical kind of church that believes you can very much be born to suffer and that's just too bad.

I hate so much about the culture around here.

Anyway, I don't really have much to add to the discussion on abortion.  I agree that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, so better access to contraceptives that prevent pregnancies in the first place would be good, but no contraceptives are 100% effective.  And I don't think people should suffer unnecessarily, whether that means having a kid you don't want or can't support, or being that kid.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26011 on: November 21, 2018, 07:40:23 pm »

It's not even sanctity of the soul. You can instantly disprove that through asking if they'd rather save a single newborn or a canister of dozens of fertilized IVF embryos.

People who are against abortion either don't know what they're talking about or are, in the case of the committed, purely malevolent. Deep down it is exactly the exact same violent misogyny as people who say that wives need to be struck to keep them in their place. They want women disarmed and permanently beholden to men, usually Christian, usually white.

Have no sympathy for those against abortion. Their alleged concern for human life is a mask beneath which is rape, murder, and pregnant women tied to beds in prisons. Any inch or benefit of the doubt you give them will be used to advance that goal to its conclusion, as the failure to maintain control of SCOTUS now demonstrates.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #26012 on: November 21, 2018, 07:46:02 pm »

Can confirm that I have never heard the rationale of "If you were a Christian you wouldn't have this problem" actually spoken in any church I've been to. This is likely because I don't frequent places with those kinds of fundamentalist views.
I avoid churches in service like the plague as a rule, so I haven't heard it spoken literally inside a church, either, but the rationale if not the exact wording is one I've encountered fairly often. In person and otherwise.

If you really feel like fucking your day over, go find good ol' talk radio with a conservative/religious bent to tune into for like a week or somethin'. The general sentiment's fairly likely to come up at some point or another. For a more pleasant experience you could just jam rusty screws into your eye sockets instead.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26013 on: November 21, 2018, 08:23:36 pm »

Yeah don't get me wrong here, there are people that exist who are as Metal describes.

I've been to a lotta lot of churches and heard a lot of people talk on the subject, and what it comes down to is that these people do not exist outside of the bubble of well-off white folks who don't ever need to consider abortion in their own life or anyone they know. They, their kids, their families have all had perfect health care for their entire adult lives and don't need to consider things like "My 75lb wife with major heart issues is not healthy enough to have a baby and got pregnant by accident, who gets to live" (our birth control failed on our honeymoon, lol). It's not even on their horizon. Every time I ask these people who they think should have lived, my wife or my baby boy, they just stop dead. Nothing to say. It's like watching a PC crash, there's just nothing there for them to respond with.

Because they live in that insular bubble of well-off Christian-only friends and acquaintances they assume God has sanctioned their lives as the gold standard of living, and since they don't have to consider these procedures then other people must be doing something wrong. It's an actual slippery slope from there to "these people are too irresponsible or evil to be telling the truth about why they need an abortion".

In my experience ignorance coupled with an unwillingness to admit fault/ignorance is the primary issue on my side of things. It's been too easy to avoid education on the subject for too long. Also, and this is important, but these people are still responsible for the positions they take and the actions they endorse, ignorance or no.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 08:45:46 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #26015 on: November 21, 2018, 09:55:31 pm »

... another one? I could swear there's been like three in the last year or something. I don't even eat lettuce to begin with, but it feels like I've heard that story repeated every few months for a while now.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26016 on: November 21, 2018, 10:17:02 pm »

... another one? I could swear there's been like three in the last year or something. I don't even eat lettuce to begin with, but it feels like I've heard that story repeated every few months for a while now.
hisz rsoe is your friend
It tries to keep track of all natural disasters, serious accidents or manmade disasters which could cause public concern on a national level. If you follow it religiously, you begin to realise very quickly that outbreaks of deadly disease or appearances of extremely deadly diseases are surprisingly commonplace around the world. My favourite ones are the anthrax storms. They're dust storms with anthrax in them. My second favourite are the radioactive wild boars. They're wild boars that are radioactive enough to cause cancer if you eat them

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26017 on: November 21, 2018, 10:29:06 pm »

Their alleged concern for human life is a mask beneath which is rape, murder, and pregnant women tied to beds in prisons. Any inch or benefit of the doubt you give them will be used to advance that goal to its conclusion, as the failure to maintain control of SCOTUS now demonstrates.

Any ideology that includes an element of "to Hell with those other people" will have everything else about it ignored in the general rush to integrate it into the general miasma of conservative animus. Same thing happens to concealed carry cultists, border security nutjobs, "just world" folks, libertarians, doomsday preppers, Proud Boys, creationists and Flat Earthers all the time.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #26018 on: November 21, 2018, 10:55:34 pm »

We're just going to have to get used to it.  The right is adopting the language of the left, and historically the left has talked a lot about concern for human life.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26019 on: November 21, 2018, 10:58:13 pm »

We're just going to have to get used to it.  The right is adopting the language of the left, and historically the left has talked a lot about concern for human life.
In the beginning God created them: Right and Left, and scattered them such that they would never speak the same tongue

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26020 on: November 22, 2018, 07:29:02 am »

It is indeed hypocritical that some many congregations/people focus only on abortion but don't do things for homeless, immigrants, orphans, widows, etc.

It is, in some ways, amusingly sad because there is a large number of verses in the Bible about how we should be taking care of everyone.  The Bible has a ton to say about "being nice to your neighbor, and your neighbor is everyone".  Sadly that is Hard WorkTM so many people just do the bare minimum they've been taught to feel good about themselves.  Sadly that misses the boat: Christianity is not about "feeling good about yourself" at all, although there is much about the fact that you can start to feel peace and contentment in any situation.  Note: this doesn't mean your situation will be peaceful or overflowing with material goods.  Nor does it mean that you just have to "suck it up" in hard times.

That said:

In honor of the day, I am thankful that you all here in these forums are able to conduct meaningful discussion even in the light of opposing views.  This is one of the few places I've found where the Art of Argument has not been lost... we can actually not just coexist but get along even when we have different philosophies.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26021 on: November 22, 2018, 07:46:38 am »

That said:

In honor of the day, I am thankful that you all here in these forums are able to conduct meaningful discussion even in the light of opposing views.  This is one of the few places I've found where the Art of Argument has not been lost... we can actually not just coexist but get along even when we have different philosophies.

Hear hear!

Happy Thanksgiving, friends.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26022 on: November 22, 2018, 07:56:07 am »

Happy eat your meat day

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #26023 on: November 22, 2018, 08:45:51 am »

Happy "colonists totally didn't kill those natives and then claimed that it was just 'cause them natives were heathens" day.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26024 on: November 22, 2018, 08:47:04 am »

Happy "colonists totally didn't kill those natives and then claimed that it was just 'cause them natives were heathens" day.

Hey!  Britain has a long and noble tradition of going to places and killing or enslaving the people there.  It's a form of National Heritage celebration by the Americans, in honour of their British forebears.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 1733 1734 [1735] 1736 1737 ... 3566