Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1678 1679 [1680] 1681 1682 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227194 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #25185 on: November 05, 2018, 03:15:43 pm »

I wish I could. I've kicked a few bucks his way in the past, but right now I'm at a point where I don't have enough bucks to kick at my bills, much less anyone else.  :-\

EDIT: So...do we want to do a live chatroom somewhere tomorrow evening, as we did in 2016? (preferably minus the weapons-grade profanity and flaming that resulted once it became clear that we were in for four years of Trumpalooza)

I'd enjoy a chat room if one were to be found. I remember fondly the one from past year(s). (If my memory doesn't fail, I feel like this might even be a tradition now.)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25186 on: November 05, 2018, 04:25:42 pm »

I wish I could. I've kicked a few bucks his way in the past, but right now I'm at a point where I don't have enough bucks to kick at my bills, much less anyone else.  :-\

EDIT: So...do we want to do a live chatroom somewhere tomorrow evening, as we did in 2016? (preferably minus the weapons-grade profanity and flaming that resulted once it became clear that we were in for four years of Trumpalooza)

I'd enjoy a chat room if one were to be found. I remember fondly the one from past year(s). (If my memory doesn't fail, I feel like this might even be a tradition now.)
IRC then?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25187 on: November 05, 2018, 04:29:40 pm »

Someone set up a Discord.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25188 on: November 05, 2018, 05:19:04 pm »

Race has nothing to do with black people being armed robbers though. Trump has been de-humanizing critics and various other groups since at least his candidacy announcement, and that has enabled (if not encouraged) more troubled members of the conservative movement to act on that.

Not all conservatives are going to take him at his word,  but the fact that the rest of the Republican Party are not calling him out on his frankly dangerous rhetoric makes them complicit in what he says and by extension what it causes to happen.

Fakeedit: and by Republican Party I mean national politicians; senators, representatives, etc.

Yep. This. If someone's actively choosing to be part of an ideology currently controlled by a man who's called his political opponents traitors and foreign immigrants criminal rapist drug dealers (etc.), advocated violence against the media ("I'll pay fees", remember?) and equivocated neo-Nazis with the people protesting them among many other things -- and is still overwhelmingly popular among members of his party even now that the bodies are starting to pile up at the hands of people who are also identifying as conservatives and is still pitching demonstrably dangerous rhetoric to huge, cheering crowds of conservatives, if they're still saying "yep, I'm with them" after all that, then what else are we to make of their continued membership in that group other than, at the very least, being on some level accepting of what's happening?

What are they supposed to do? Every election cycle is inundated with people screaming about how a third party vote is throwing your vote away, and the entire conservative news cycle tries it's damndest to demonize every Democratic candidate they can. You could say that they have a moral imperative to vote Democrat or join a third party, but almost all of them are going to think that it's easier to change the Republican Party from the inside (kind of like how left-leaning democrats want to vote Democrat - not because it's the option in line with their beliefs - but because they want to bring the party further left and that's easier than forming their own party).

Let me put this into perspective, and get a little more specific, I guess.

I go to one of the better universities in GA, and I was a member of the College Republicans with a friend of mine (him for a few years me for a few months, cause I had just transferred in). Now, about 90% of us (about 300 people) were "NeverTrump," all supporting other third party candidates. After Trump won, there was basically a Night of Long Knives situation from the national level down to our little organization. Basically, noone was allowed to hold a leadership position if they were against Trump during the election. Naturally, this meant the leadership council for the CRs is now full of dipshits.

We're biding our time until we can get the dipshits out of power, basically.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25189 on: November 05, 2018, 06:04:22 pm »

Wait, so campus political orgs are part of the DNC/RNC? This actually explains a lot of the trump-era college republican stuff.

Edit: as a georgia person, I haven't seen a whole lot going down here.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 06:06:19 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25190 on: November 05, 2018, 07:22:10 pm »

Man, I feel so left out of the election-watching. Can't be part of my classes election-watching party, can't be part of this. :'(

I mean, I understand why: Can't watch elections when you are elections, I guess. But still.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25191 on: November 05, 2018, 07:24:17 pm »

Just realized that this is the first election where I get to vote next door. The election location is literally on the other side of my fence.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25192 on: November 05, 2018, 07:32:17 pm »

I got lucky one year, my polling place was literally in the same building I worked in. Just walked down the hall on my lunch break.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25193 on: November 05, 2018, 07:57:32 pm »

Man, I feel so left out of the election-watching. Can't be part of my classes election-watching party, can't be part of this. :'(

I mean, I understand why: Can't watch elections when you are elections, I guess. But still.

Wait, you are elections? What is the meaning of this? We can't be having a member of the forums holding a publicly elected position, can we?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #25194 on: November 05, 2018, 08:03:07 pm »

Fox pulls Trump's racist ad, after literally every other network pulled or refused to air the same ad.
You know it's bad when even Fox turns on Trump.

When questioned about the ad, Trump responded:
Quote from: Donald Trump
Lots of things are offensive. Your questions are offensive!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25195 on: November 05, 2018, 08:15:31 pm »

Fox pulls Trump's racist ad, after literally every other network pulled or refused to air the same ad.
You know it's bad when even Fox turns on Trump.

When questioned about the ad, Trump responded:
Quote from: Donald Trump
Lots of things are offensive. Your questions are offensive!

I don't normally read comments but I read the comments. It was worth it.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25196 on: November 05, 2018, 08:34:58 pm »

Wait, you are elections? What is the meaning of this? We can't be having a member of the forums holding a publicly elected position, can we?
I'd actually be surprised if there wasn't one elected official who posts regularly on here, but that doesn't mean they post here.

Or maybe they do.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25197 on: November 05, 2018, 08:41:20 pm »

I don't normally read comments but I read the comments. It was worth it.
I was intrigued by the ability to see some comments (before I saw what you wrote just there, even), if a bit trepidatious. I clicked on the Show Comments and nothing comment-like came up.

Glad to know they were good, though. I had a feeling I'd have been stumbling into a mire if I'd successfully succumbed..

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #25198 on: November 05, 2018, 08:45:16 pm »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25199 on: November 05, 2018, 08:46:01 pm »

I'd actually be surprised if there wasn't one elected official who posts regularly on here, but that doesn't mean they post here.

Or maybe they do.
It's FAKE NEWS! I'm too busy running the Country with Melanie, securing our Borders with the 3rd Amendment and not the Russians, at all, who are all VERY FINE PEOPLE anyway!
Pages: 1 ... 1678 1679 [1680] 1681 1682 ... 3566