Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1673 1674 [1675] 1676 1677 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227992 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #25110 on: November 04, 2018, 02:26:47 pm »

Cow farts alone contribute a greater greenhouse effect than all car and truck use...cutting out meat is one of the best things to do.

Bovine flesh is far too delicious to give up. Can't we just hire some science nerds to invent a cow fart-muffler? Or even better, a fart-recycler! We could turn farts into a renewable energy source, then use them to power a new line of cars that we can all buy and feel smug about driving!
Genemod cows to not fart greenhouse gasses.

Watch as meat prices go up as corporations monopolize fartless cows.

Just build big domes for all the cows to live in, and the domes catch all the fart gas and extract the methane from it. You can send my check in the mail.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #25111 on: November 04, 2018, 02:35:58 pm »

Cow farts alone contribute a greater greenhouse effect than all car and truck use...cutting out meat is one of the best things to do.

Bovine flesh is far too delicious to give up. Can't we just hire some science nerds to invent a cow fart-muffler? Or even better, a fart-recycler! We could turn farts into a renewable energy source, then use them to power a new line of cars that we can all buy and feel smug about driving!
Genemod cows to not fart greenhouse gasses.

Watch as meat prices go up as corporations monopolize fartless cows.

Just build big domes for all the cows to live in, and the domes catch all the fart gas and extract the methane from it. You can send my check in the mail.
I am sorry komrad, but this is kommunism. We don't believe in checks.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25112 on: November 04, 2018, 02:39:43 pm »

In either case, I just want to point out that our food crops and livestock are rather dependent on the current biosphere, and if it's too expensive now to build enough hydroponics to feed ourselves, we shouldn't expect it to be any easier or cheaper when half of humanity is rioting because all the cows are dead.

Correction: It is too expensive to do an overhaul to feed our current population.  Eventually enough of us would die from the riots that our current stocks of hydroponics and what would be built later on would be able to catch up.  And hey look, there's a lot more living space available in the aftermath.
An Essay on the Principle of Population isn't meant to be a how-to manual for wiping out poor people.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25113 on: November 04, 2018, 02:54:17 pm »

There are some solutions in the works, like adding seaweed and other additives to their diet, but that doesn't do anything about the resources expended on intensive agriculture and other industries to support them. I should also clarify that it isn't just flatulence, it's also belching.

Edit: Looking back at my old notes, the characterization about cattle methane as compared to total passenger transport was incorrect; the comparison I was thinking of was the GHG difference between the average US meat-eater's diet and a no-meat diet, when compared to the effect of other measures like driving less or using public transport.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 04:08:44 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #25114 on: November 04, 2018, 03:58:28 pm »

Last I looked into those figures, a significant portion of that resource usage was "lower-grade portions of the crops grown for human use", meaning that elimination of livestock would not automatically increase the amount of foodstuffs available for people - a lot of the animal feed I've seen would not merely be unappetizing, but borderline indigestible.

That isn't to say that "livestock is too resource intensive to justify" is not a valid argument, but it isn't as simple as it is often presented. Dialing meat production down to what can be supported with grazing is probably doable without most people noticing the difference - fast food would be badly hurt, but you could "disguise" a lot of the impact by increasing fillers in sausages and ground meat.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25115 on: November 04, 2018, 03:59:22 pm »

Be careful when talking about "the 1%". 1% of the US population is over 3 million people.  The top 1% in the world is more people than many countries - some 75 million people.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25116 on: November 04, 2018, 04:00:21 pm »

yeah but saying the 0.1% takes longer
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 04:01:52 pm by Egan_BW »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #25117 on: November 04, 2018, 04:05:46 pm »

Lab-grown meat is another alternative, albeit one that’s a while off.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25118 on: November 04, 2018, 04:08:21 pm »

Lab-grown meat is another alternative, albeit one that’s a while off.
Yeah, but then we get into some weird territory with ethics...

Like, I kinda get the sense that free-range bacteria is a bad idea.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25119 on: November 04, 2018, 04:10:38 pm »

If it is, it's a bad idea literally covering the planet.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25120 on: November 04, 2018, 04:27:47 pm »

...what's ethically weird about lab meat?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25121 on: November 04, 2018, 04:40:37 pm »

This question.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25122 on: November 04, 2018, 04:43:01 pm »

This question.

How are you supposed to enjoy meat if you know that nothing suffered to create it?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25123 on: November 04, 2018, 04:47:23 pm »

The blood.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25124 on: November 04, 2018, 04:49:39 pm »

Because we've established that it's generally only ethical if our meat sources are free-range, and

If it is, it's a bad idea literally covering the planet.
...*shudder*
Pages: 1 ... 1673 1674 [1675] 1676 1677 ... 3567