Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1671 1672 [1673] 1674 1675 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227877 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #25080 on: November 04, 2018, 10:04:10 am »

Americans: GO. VOTE.

Preferably not for Republicans but I'm not your mom so whatever. Just vote!

Instructions unclear, voted for my mom.

I'm senator Ted Cruz, and I approve this message.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25081 on: November 04, 2018, 10:11:02 am »

Looks like the quote link issue is fixed. Links for nested quotes aren't though.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25082 on: November 04, 2018, 10:28:13 am »

Can I just say one thing in regards to Climate Change?  Can you kindly stop saying we're killing the planet?  The planet has tanked meteors, supervolcanoes, being a frozen ball of ice, and a ton of other shit.  The planet will be fine, and in fact there are species that are adapting or even beginning to gain benefit off the changing climate as temperate climates warming up allows for wider breeding grounds/inhabitable areas in the case of some, new species are developing thanks to displacement, and things like the loss of permafrost in areas is allowing trees to grow in those regions.  Now the existing order dying?  Yeah, that's fucked.  But it's pretentious as fuck to say we're killing the planet, especially when we haven't even managed to reach the mantle with even a tiny borehole yet, much less industrialized mining.

Is there climate change caused by humans?  Probably.  Are we killing the planet?  Fuck no.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 10:29:54 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25083 on: November 04, 2018, 10:36:03 am »

We're pushing our own species on a path that could very easily lead to our own extinction. My son has to live in this world, I don't want a bunch of self-righteous, old, dying rich entitled fucks to ruin it for him. I want him to grow up and live a full life that includes nature.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25084 on: November 04, 2018, 10:45:59 am »

You forgot the Permian-Triassic mass extinction event, which was in part caused by the Siberian Traps (sort of a super-supervolcano), but was likely a combination of events.

@Ispil: That was ZTGs point, it'd take a hell of an effort to wreck it so badly that even microbial life dies, but we are killing the planet in the sense of killing off biodiversity and screwing up the status quo.

Actually, the status quo started getting screwed when humans appeared on the scene, we're the ultimate invasive species (yeah, I know, rats, ants, and others would beg to differ). But that doesn't excuse us from being culpable because while we are fully capable of screwing the environment, we are ALSO capable of doing the exact opposite.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 11:01:05 am by smjjames »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25085 on: November 04, 2018, 10:54:46 am »

If a tree falls in a forest and no humans are alive, does it make a sound?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25086 on: November 04, 2018, 10:56:16 am »

We're pushing our own species on a path that could very easily lead to our own extinction. My son has to live in this world, I don't want a bunch of self-righteous, old, dying rich entitled fucks to ruin it for him. I want him to grow up and live a full life that includes nature.

Oh, please.  Humans are fucking cockroaches that figured out how to live in space.  Absolute worst case scenario, we're going to be living in vaults and biodomes (even with nuclear war.  Switzerland has enough vaults for a massive chunk of its populace, after all, so it just means the future humanity will be descended from the Swiss in such a scenario).  Seriously, we figured out how to live in space.  How hard would it be when we both have gravity and can build bigger due to not having the massive expense of lifting the stuff to orbit?

And full life that includes nature?  Mate, medical tech is constantly improving at an exponential rate so you don't have to worry about the former, and as I said above with the latter, some species are starting to thrive better than before and be created as a result of our fucking around.  Now it won't be the same nature you grew up with (though damn if we don't have major conservation efforts in zoos that'll allow for several species to live a long time after death in the wild minus the biodome scenario), but them and their descendants'll still have it.

You forgot the Permian-Triassic mass extinction event, which was in part caused by the Deccan Traps (sort of a super-supervolcano), but was likely a combination of events.

Super-supervolcano?  Fuck, that concept sounds terrifying.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25087 on: November 04, 2018, 11:01:30 am »

Oh, please.  Humans are fucking cockroaches that figured out how to live in space.  Absolute worst case scenario, we're going to be living in vaults and biodomes (even with nuclear war.  Switzerland has enough vaults for a massive chunk of its populace, after all, so it just means the future humanity will be descended from the Swiss in such a scenario).  Seriously, we figured out how to live in space.  How hard would it be when we both have gravity and can build bigger due to not having the massive expense of lifting the stuff to orbit?

No, we haven't. We've learned how to ship what we need from Earth to space in order for a tiny group of people to remain there temporarily, but that still requires an Earth capable of supporting them. Those bunkers work on the same principle; they assume that after a short while everyone's going to leave.

If we perturb Earth's biosphere too much, we will all die. Some of us may die slightly later in bunkers, but regardless, "how hard could it be" is a heck of a thing to hang our survival on and you know that as well as I do.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #25088 on: November 04, 2018, 11:04:06 am »

Can I just say one thing in regards to Climate Change?  Can you kindly stop saying we're killing the planet?  The planet has tanked meteors, supervolcanoes, being a frozen ball of ice, and a ton of other shit.  The planet will be fine, and in fact there are species that are adapting or even beginning to gain benefit off the changing climate as temperate climates warming up allows for wider breeding grounds/inhabitable areas in the case of some, new species are developing thanks to displacement, and things like the loss of permafrost in areas is allowing trees to grow in those regions.  Now the existing order dying?  Yeah, that's fucked.  But it's pretentious as fuck to say we're killing the planet, especially when we haven't even managed to reach the mantle with even a tiny borehole yet, much less industrialized mining.

Is there climate change caused by humans?  Probably.  Are we killing the planet?  Fuck no.

I mean, I’m something of a hypocrite for complaining about someone being pedantic, but at the current standard of limiting the global mean temperature to 2oC, you’re still looking at a 25% reduction of plant and animal life in some of the world most naturally rich areas.

Also, permafrost stores methane deposits, so while you get more trees, you also get an acceleration of the warming process.

While I accept it’s fair to say we’re not killing he planet, we are making it a more difficult place to live for things that make it more than just a ball of rock hurtling through a vacuum around a massive ball of gas that’s eventually going to consume it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25089 on: November 04, 2018, 11:05:18 am »

I saw a comment lately that's relevant to this discussion:

"The best thing about the idea of the 1% escaping to space or apocalypse bunkers after fucking the rest of humanity is knowing for a fact that a society composed of the 1% will exterminate itself in under a year."
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25090 on: November 04, 2018, 11:06:40 am »

You forgot the Permian-Triassic mass extinction event, which was in part caused by the Deccan Traps (sort of a super-supervolcano), but was likely a combination of events.

I misreferenced and said Deccan Traps instead of Siberian Traps, but they're similar types of events. I just thought super-supervolcano was the best way to describe it since you mentioned supervolcanoes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25091 on: November 04, 2018, 11:13:24 am »

I misreferenced and said Deccan Traps instead of Siberian Traps, but they're similar types of events. I just thought super-supervolcano was the best way to describe it since you mentioned supervolcanoes.

That's fine. I misread what you wrote and thought you said Descan Traps, and was wondering what he had planned for all those dinosaurs he was trapping.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25092 on: November 04, 2018, 11:15:10 am »

That's fine. I misread what you wrote and thought you said Descan Traps, and was wondering what he had planned for all those dinosaurs he was trapping.

Nice try at a typo joke, still lol though.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25093 on: November 04, 2018, 11:18:12 am »

In either case, I just want to point out that our food crops and livestock are rather dependent on the current biosphere, and if it's too expensive now to build enough hydroponics to feed ourselves, we shouldn't expect it to be any easier or cheaper when half of humanity is rioting because all the cows are dead.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25094 on: November 04, 2018, 11:23:31 am »

hey maybe we don't have a right to destroy or even "temporarily damage" the only known examples of life in the entire universe just because our species invented iphones

just a thought

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1671 1672 [1673] 1674 1675 ... 3567