Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1478 1479 [1480] 1481 1482 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4229315 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #22185 on: August 02, 2018, 02:07:15 am »

Modern woes.

Enjoyed the read overall, though there are some concepts that I don't necessarily agree with. Also gets particularly tiresome to read in the middle; ended up skimming a bit.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Some of those gigs sound like training for a neural net or similar program.  The bit where he's summarizing youtube videos and news articles is exactly what Microsoft or Google would do to improve their search engines.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22186 on: August 02, 2018, 09:03:43 am »

While I accept that dictators and arseholes are products of their society, there can be better and worse ones.  Sadly, your american system is so corrupt, right-wing and straight-up evil that if you killed Trump you would get someone no less evil but far less incompetent. Might be better though.

AKA Pence?

While you have a pont about someone no less evil but far less incompetent, please don't paint the US with such a damn large brush.

If Q did assassinate Trump, it would only make him a martyr. Ending an idiotic ideology is rarely as simple as killing it's leader.

It doesn't have to be an idiotic ideology, assassinations often create martyrs, especially if ideology surrounds the assassinated. Like say Jesus. Okay, Jesus wasn't assassinated per se, but he still became a martyr.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22187 on: August 02, 2018, 09:24:42 am »

While I accept that dictators and arseholes are products of their society, there can be better and worse ones.  Sadly, your american system is so corrupt, right-wing and straight-up evil that if you killed Trump you would get someone no less evil but far less incompetent. Might be better though.

AKA Pence?

While you have a pont about someone no less evil but far less incompetent, please don't paint the US with such a damn large brush.

I will continue painting American politics with this brush until your system resembles something other than a particularly grim circle of hell.  Even your most left-wing candidates are still comically scrooge-esque and evil.  You guys argue over basic liberties that the civilised west long ago agreed should be protected and provided by the state, and your income equality between the most and least well-off is laughable, even amongst other arch-capitalist countries.  Scarcely is the a sector of American politics, whether it be religious, military, economic or foreign, that cannot be described as 100% pure grade-A completely fucking fucked.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22188 on: August 02, 2018, 09:47:17 am »

You guys argue over basic liberties that the civilised west long ago agreed should be protected and provided by the state

I think maybe we have different definitions of what is a "civil liberty".

The US in general still has far more liberty than many other places. I spoke with someone from France for instance, and they surprised me with their comments.  Along the lines of "In France, the default for most things is 'it is forbidden'. In the US, the default is 'you can do it.' " 

Interestingly this was contrasted with their observation about how confusing and complicated the US health care system is compared to that in France.  And how our cheese is terrible, and when it's good it's ridiculously expensive (they were surprised that we have decent wine though).

Also, corruption in the US is generally limited only to the higher echelons of society; there is very little "consumer level" corruption. Generally you only get it from local power structures if at all - like small town permit approvals or something.  Anything larger than that is very rare and generally makes headlines.  It's really easy to find instances of public officials going to prison for corruption (mostly taking bribes to select a contractor or misusing public resources) here in the US.  We don't generally have corruption like "sorry you won't get power to your house unless you pay us extra" kind of stuff.

Now, that's not to say the US is the best at anything - but I really don't understand how people can look at the US and say it's "hell".  Unless maybe you're looking at specific urban areas and what makes international news which tends to focus on the sensational...
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #22189 on: August 02, 2018, 09:55:57 am »

Along the lines of "In France, the default for most things is 'it is forbidden'. In the US, the default is 'you can do it.' " 
This comment by itself doesn´t say very much.

We don't generally have corruption like "sorry you won't get power to your house unless you pay us extra" kind of stuff.

... I think you have a very weird and inaccurate view of how things work in Europe.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22190 on: August 02, 2018, 10:03:49 am »

Along the lines of "In France, the default for most things is 'it is forbidden'. In the US, the default is 'you can do it.' " 
This comment by itself doesn´t say very much.

We don't generally have corruption like "sorry you won't get power to your house unless you pay us extra" kind of stuff.

... I think you have a very weird and inaccurate view of how things work in Europe.

He didn't say that there was that kind of corruption in Europe, just gave an example of a type of corruption.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22191 on: August 02, 2018, 10:38:20 am »

As always specify "Western Europe" or "Eastern Europe" when making these sorts of comparisons. In spite of the EU, Eastern Europe arguably has a lot more in common with the rest of Eastern Europe than their western EU comrades.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22192 on: August 02, 2018, 11:32:27 am »

[We don't generally have corruption like "sorry you won't get power to your house unless you pay us extra" kind of stuff.
Shit along those lines is pretty damn common, actually, from what I've seen. Usually not specifically re: basic utilities (though ware the poison and whatnot) and it's more "know the right person who you just happen to provide favors to or this shit will take forever and possibly cost you extra", but various low level bureaucracy and (breaking/bypassing the) law related shenanigans have it pop up pretty often.

Consumer level corruption largely amounts to stealing pens from work, but the next step up -- administration and elected local officials, mostly -- gets into all sorts of shite, particularly in less urban areas. The good ol' boy network is pretty bloody rotten.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #22193 on: August 02, 2018, 11:41:17 am »

You guys argue over basic liberties that the civilised west long ago agreed should be protected and provided by the state

I think maybe we have different definitions of what is a "civil liberty".

The US in general still has far more liberty than many other places. I spoke with someone from France for instance, and they surprised me with their comments.  Along the lines of "In France, the default for most things is 'it is forbidden'. In the US, the default is 'you can do it.' " 

Interestingly this was contrasted with their observation about how confusing and complicated the US health care system is compared to that in France.  And how our cheese is terrible, and when it's good it's ridiculously expensive (they were surprised that we have decent wine though).

Also, corruption in the US is generally limited only to the higher echelons of society; there is very little "consumer level" corruption. Generally you only get it from local power structures if at all - like small town permit approvals or something.  Anything larger than that is very rare and generally makes headlines.  It's really easy to find instances of public officials going to prison for corruption (mostly taking bribes to select a contractor or misusing public resources) here in the US.  We don't generally have corruption like "sorry you won't get power to your house unless you pay us extra" kind of stuff.

Now, that's not to say the US is the best at anything - but I really don't understand how people can look at the US and say it's "hell".  Unless maybe you're looking at specific urban areas and what makes international news which tends to focus on the sensational...

If you ignore all the stuff that makes the news, and all the stuff you don't know about because it doesn't make the news, then yeah, the US has no corruption.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #22194 on: August 02, 2018, 12:01:51 pm »

Pretty sure if you look on the worldwide corruption status thingie you'll find the US more or less in the same area as non-Scandinavian Europe.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22195 on: August 02, 2018, 12:07:51 pm »

Not really. There aren't anything similar to the American civil forfeiture abuses hitting western Europe as far as I know. In Europe, how the police behave is far more regulated than in the USA.

It's worth bringing up civil forfeiture in this context:

http://observer.com/2017/07/donald-trump-jeff-sessions-department-of-justice-civil-forfeiture/

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll just quote the last bit outside the spoiler:

In 2013, The New Yorker reported that police threatened a Texas couple with having their children taken away from them if they didn’t forfeit $6,000 in cash they had on them to go buy a used car. These types of cash-for-freedom deals have reportedly been abused by police departments across the country.

In 2014 Forbes reported, “Twenty-five other states allow police to pocket all of the proceeds from civil forfeiture.

Things like this do not happen in England, Germany or France. There are also accounts of how said "confiscated" money is spent. Some of the cases include the police buying themselves kegs of beer and other fun things. They can take cash money from virtually anyone, on the basis that having cash is "suspicious" and there are no existing rules on how the money is spent.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 12:15:40 pm by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22196 on: August 02, 2018, 12:18:53 pm »

Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22197 on: August 02, 2018, 12:25:27 pm »

Beats France, Ireland, Spain and Italy

I don't think the Corruption Perceptions Index is always valid here. You're more likely to be robbed or killed by police in the USA than any of those nations.

The Corruption Perceptions Index also mixes in a lot of things into one linear metric, which isn't helpful. It's a lot different when people are concerned that politicians are taking kickbacks from property developers, compared to nations where police openly steal from regular people or take bribes.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 12:30:20 pm by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22198 on: August 02, 2018, 12:35:07 pm »

Pointing out where the US stands on the International Corruption Index is perfectly valid response to you claiming the US in not in the same area as the non-Scandinavian European countries on the International Corruption Index.
Love, scriver~

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22199 on: August 02, 2018, 12:47:59 pm »

Hey, the badge says, "Cash Bribes Only!"
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 1478 1479 [1480] 1481 1482 ... 3567