Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1457 1458 [1459] 1460 1461 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4224053 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #21870 on: July 23, 2018, 01:12:35 am »

General protip: Don't start shit, won't be shit.
Grand Marshall Protip: neither your jaw nor your sense of dignity are made of glass.

An assault warrants a fine and maybe a few months in jail. Suggesting death penalty, not to mention administered in-situ Dredd-style, is something only dangerously insecure or narcissistic people would favour, IMO.

You know this will definitely happen anywhere if the person getting shoved is a cop, right?
Nah, man. Only rarely and in socially third world countries.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21871 on: July 23, 2018, 01:17:14 am »

"Shoving --> Deadly Force" is pretty clearly clearly to me a massive escalation. So is "Refusing to leave property --> Deadly Force".

If there's a clear course to proceed that doesn't involve anyone dying, how can you justify bringing out the guns? Hell, just displaying that you have a gun is probably going to get someone to go away.
How can I justify it?
A) because the law says so,
B) because I think it's morally correct to defend one's property.
Why wouldn't I be able to? The great thing about morality is that you get to pick your own.

Grand Marshall Protip: neither your jaw nor your sense of dignity are made of glass.

An assault warrants a fine and maybe a few months in jail. Suggesting death penalty, not to mention administered in-situ Dredd-style, is something only dangerously insecure or narcissistic people would favour, IMO.
There's a difference between "death penalty" and "shot in self-defense" which is obvious to everyone who has actually held a gun. What an assault "warrants" is also not up to you (see above). I don't know, maybe you're fine with being assaulted, but I'm not.
Nah, man. Only rarely and in socially third world countries.
This is Ameripol, the communist party recruitment thread is over there → →

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21872 on: July 23, 2018, 01:39:09 am »

I don't know, maybe you're fine with being assaulted, but I'm not.
Nobody is 'fine' with being assaulted. The point is, thinking it's fine to kill people for that is nuts.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21873 on: July 23, 2018, 01:42:35 am »

While I'm 100% percent in favour of getting rid of American guns and forcing you guys to stab a bitch if a bitch needs stabbing like we do over here, I also wonder - What is the value of a life?  If the life of a dickhead is no longer as valuable as the decrease in resources and suffering that that dickhead's death causes, perhaps everyone should be shooting each other for the most minor but unnecessary acts.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21874 on: July 23, 2018, 01:46:17 am »

The prosperity of a nation is directly proportional to the amount of lead currently flying through its airspace. This is what makes America so great. Competition and stuff.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21875 on: July 23, 2018, 01:47:39 am »

While I'm 100% percent in favour of getting rid of American guns and forcing you guys to stab a bitch if a bitch needs stabbing like we do over here, I also wonder - What is the value of a life?  If the life of a dickhead is no longer as valuable as the decrease in resources and suffering that that dickhead's death causes, perhaps everyone should be shooting each other for the most minor but unnecessary acts.
Since dickheads are more likely to shoot other people, you'd soon end up with dickhead-only society.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21876 on: July 23, 2018, 01:50:07 am »

Since dickheads are more likely to shoot other people, you'd soon end up with dickhead-only society.

i'm going to wait for someone else to say it.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21877 on: July 23, 2018, 01:54:53 am »

A high enough death rate and natural selection pressures start kicking in, so not only do you have a dickhead-only society, it would start getting baked-in at the genome level.

This is why people who think we've transcended evolution due to curing diseases and the like are wrong. We haven't cured stupid and unnecessary deaths.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 01:59:06 am by Reelya »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21878 on: July 23, 2018, 01:56:11 am »

What is the value of a life?
At current exchange rates? Negative.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21879 on: July 23, 2018, 01:58:32 am »

A high enough death rate and natural selection pressures start kicking in, so not only do you have a dickhead-only society, it would start getting baked-in at the genome level.

On the plus side, humans will gain selection pressure to have better aim with firearms!
Uh, that is a plus side, right?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21880 on: July 23, 2018, 02:00:10 am »

On the plus side, humans will gain selection pressure to have better aim with firearms!
Uh, that is a plus side, right?

Co-evolution for better aim, but also smaller heads / smaller target, and a thicker skull, with little beady eyes (smaller holes in the skull). So all the unnecessary parts of the brain, that aren't related to shooting, get evolved away.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21881 on: July 23, 2018, 02:02:13 am »

Yeah, but you can't evolve enough of that stuff away that people forget how to make guns, or else the aiming lobes become redundant and probably get repurposed for a greater sense of empathy or something.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21882 on: July 23, 2018, 02:09:15 am »

The aiming lobes will just be repurposed for throwing rocks if that happens, not empathy.

However, you're not considering (1) increasingly automated production or (2) sub-species sexual selection. On the time-scales involved it would be possible that rich and poor become separate sub-species who have no sexual interest in each other since the forms are too divergent. The poor unwashed, unemployed masses then kill each other off in high numbers, evolving into brutal killing machines, while the rich seal themselves off in their sky palaces.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 02:11:03 am by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21883 on: July 23, 2018, 02:56:12 am »

The poor unwashed, unemployed masses then kill each other off in high numbers, evolving into brutal killing machines, while the rich seal themselves off in their sky palaces.
And then Roland watched the man in black flee across the desert.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21884 on: July 23, 2018, 03:22:20 am »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44919772
Trump IRL shitposting geopolitics again, this time all caps threatening Iran with suffering the likes of which few in history have ever suffered

*EDIT
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Naturally T_D are rock hard with the prospect of dropping heavy ordnance for no reason on innocent people

Cults of personality not even once
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 03:27:58 am by Loud Whispers »
Pages: 1 ... 1457 1458 [1459] 1460 1461 ... 3566