Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1453 1454 [1455] 1456 1457 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223347 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #21810 on: July 18, 2018, 12:27:22 pm »

IIRC they did. I'm thinking of the western Roman Empire mind you.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21811 on: July 18, 2018, 12:38:13 pm »

IIRC they did. I'm thinking of the western Roman Empire mind you.
Aw, but the one that was sacked by "friendly" Crusaders was so much more !!interesting!! in the end.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21812 on: July 18, 2018, 12:42:39 pm »

-

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21813 on: July 18, 2018, 01:30:00 pm »

You okay Josh?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21814 on: July 18, 2018, 01:32:02 pm »

Yeah I am, I just made a joke. I realized it was unfunny, and it seemed to be a better idea to just delete it than to let it exist.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21815 on: July 18, 2018, 01:46:06 pm »

“I don’t see any reason why it would be Russia”
Trump admits he does not understand Russia's incentives for interfering with US elections.

“I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t be Russia”
Trump admits he does not understand the harm in Russia interfering with US elections.

Either way, it's bad. the would/wouldn't is not the problem with this sentence; the problem is the 'I don't see', in which Trump professes his own ignorance. Understanding the situation is pretty much the absolute first step in figuring out how to deal with it properly.

And now he's contradicting his denial, too, claiming unspecified "higher-end" intelligence people praised his summit and reaffirming that he does not believe Russia targeted the US.

His lies are getting a lot less adroit these days.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21816 on: July 18, 2018, 01:53:13 pm »

He did the same thing after Charlottesville, chastising both sides at first, then walking back and saying Nazis were bad, then returning to his initial response that both sides were bad.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #21817 on: July 18, 2018, 02:39:28 pm »

And now he's contradicting his denial, too, claiming unspecified "higher-end" intelligence people praised his summit

He's not lying, he's just leaving out that they were Russian intelligence people ;)
Love, scriver~

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #21818 on: July 18, 2018, 03:21:40 pm »

Honestly I just wish I understood better what prompts him to suddenly change tracks and walk back his comments, or to walk-back his walk-backs. Is it dueling advisors or something? Doesn't make much sense to me, beyond the general "I deny that I am subject to your rules." thing he has going.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #21819 on: July 18, 2018, 03:39:42 pm »

I know what you mean. Is this just someone who's honestly ignorant and doesn't know what people want to hear, but wants to be popular? Is he artlessly trying to please both sides? Is he trying to please his base specifically, and thinks a mild retraction somehow helps him? Or is there even some rational reason that I do not know, but Trump (or his advisors) understand well?

On top of that, it is not at all clear that Trump has engaged in half as much introspection as that in his entire life...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21820 on: July 18, 2018, 03:43:16 pm »

I feel like he's a guy who has spent his entire life removed from any normal social interaction who has no experience in what he's doing whatsoever. This means he has no idea what he's doing (ignorant) has no idea what non-super-rich people want to hear, and is suddenly under some very real scrutiny and therefore needs to be popular in a way he never even had to think about before in order to maintain his self-image.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21821 on: July 18, 2018, 03:47:01 pm »

Honestly I just wish I understood better what prompts him to suddenly change tracks and walk back his comments, or to walk-back his walk-backs. Is it dueling advisors or something? Doesn't make much sense to me, beyond the general "I deny that I am subject to your rules." thing he has going.

I think it's a lack of advisors now. If you read people's accounts of him, Trump has always been impulsive in the sense that he throws everything he has at the immediate problem in front of him, finds a way to declare victory, and lets the little people handle the fallout and most of the actual work. He's not used to any kind of permanency, let alone accountability, and I think that's what you're seeing at play here: he's still trying bull-in-a-china-shop tactics and wondering why the shop's such a mess the next day.

He wanted to dispel rumors of Putin controlling him, so he goes and meets with him and tells everyone what to believe while Putin nods along. It doesn't work, and he looks weak and treasonous. Now all he wants is to look strong and pro-American, so he walks it back. But now people are talking about collusion, so there was no collusion and nothing to collude over, ever.

Hope Hicks was I think the one everyone else used to get him to be quiet, because she could make him think he was winning to matter what and didn't need to do anything. Without her there's no one to stop Trump oversteering on everything.

EDIT:
I feel like he's a guy who has spent his entire life removed from any normal social interaction who has no experience in what he's doing whatsoever. This means he has no idea what he's doing (ignorant) has no idea what non-super-rich people want to hear, and is suddenly under some very real scrutiny and therefore needs to be popular in a way he never even had to think about before in order to maintain his self-image.

Also this, plus he's never had to do anything but punch down before.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21822 on: July 19, 2018, 09:07:01 am »

It's worth noting that for any of you expecting the Helsinki remarks to be a "turning point", almost every Republican who voiced concern has since walked back following Trump's "n't" excuse.

He very well could walk down 5th Avenue and shoot someone; he would just have to follow up with saying that he thought the safety was on, and all would be forgiven.

I don't think anyone was expecting that. The GOP and everyone in it are 100% behind Trump from now until the end of America. They may claim otherwise publicly, but there's no other reason to be Republican now.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21823 on: July 19, 2018, 09:10:31 am »

I imagine that for at least some of them, they view this as a matter of political survival.  Opposing Trump is politically poisonous to Republicans now in many or maybe even most places.  That doesn't make it any more excusable, but there is at least logic to it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #21824 on: July 19, 2018, 09:36:04 am »

Honestly, Conservatives and Republicans need to be developed as two separate entities. A Republican isn't necessarily evil, but to hell with the regressive Conservative movement.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses
Pages: 1 ... 1453 1454 [1455] 1456 1457 ... 3566