Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1451 1452 [1453] 1454 1455 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223457 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #21780 on: July 16, 2018, 03:42:50 pm »

The thing that's so weird about all of this, which in a way does make me wonder if Trump really is compromised by Russia, is the optics.  Trump thrives so much on being perceived as correct and great that you'd think he would do a lot to disperse the fog of appearing to be a Russian puppet.  I can understand that his "base" may not believe it, but as much as he shouts variations of "NO COLLUSION!1!eleven" on Twitter it seems clear that he feels like he should be distancing himself from that image in some capacity.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21781 on: July 16, 2018, 04:05:37 pm »

Senior Republican Senator John McCain said it was one of  "the most disgraceful performances in human by an American President in memory"

Quote from: Senator McCain
"No prior president has ever abased himself more abjectly before a tyrant,"

as well as

Quote from: House Speaker Paul Ryan
"There is no moral equivalence between the United States and Russia, which remains hostile to our most basic values and ideals,"

He also said that there was "no question" Moscow had interfered in the 2016 election.

The Democratswere somehow even more harshly critical, such as this gem
Quote from: Sen. Chuck Schumer
For the president of the United States to side with President Putin against American law enforcement, American defense officials, and American intelligence agencies is thoughtless, dangerous, and weak. The president is putting himself over our country.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 04:08:23 pm by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21782 on: July 16, 2018, 04:26:08 pm »

The thing that's so weird about all of this, which in a way does make me wonder if Trump really is compromised by Russia, is the optics.  Trump thrives so much on being perceived as correct and great that you'd think he would do a lot to disperse the fog of appearing to be a Russian puppet.  I can understand that his "base" may not believe it, but as much as he shouts variations of "NO COLLUSION!1!eleven" on Twitter it seems clear that he feels like he should be distancing himself from that image in some capacity.

It's entirely plausible that he thinks he's doing just that. He's convinced himself that he's a master of media manipulation and Fox has largely played into that with their unhinged coverage of his Presidency, to say nothing of the other networks' obsession with quoting him; he may well believe that he can simply dictate what the masses should think and they will repeat it in shocked tones to each other until they believe it. In that light, meeting with Putin to the outrage of the left and the ineffectual grumbling of the right serves to show how he's more powerful than anyone else in America and can do whatever he likes, and any blowback he gets for yet again lavishing praise on autocrats is just another thing to erase from the media with more buffoonery.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21783 on: July 16, 2018, 04:56:21 pm »

I feel that future training for diplomats will consist of a list of things Trump has done with 'never do this' printed over it in big red letters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21784 on: July 16, 2018, 05:04:07 pm »

idk, it would be more like damage control training. Training government employees to not act like Trump wouldn't make  sense, since people who are elected don't do the training, and anyone who acted liked Trump but was a federal employee would have already been fired before being promoted to anything important.

The training scenarios would be like "the president does/says X, how do you respond". And in about 30 years, the young diplomatic cadets don't remember the Trump particulars (just like young people today don't know the Nixon particulars) and say "this is stupid*, who would ever do/say that" and are told "... just do the lesson ...".

* Naturally, I'm making the perhaps optimistic assumption that there isn't a "bigger Trump" out there that you elect later. Trump's from a particular era of 70s-80s real estate barons, and who he is and the way he uses social media is like a perfect storm. The future pool of talent for that sort of thing is really guys like Jeff Bezos of Amazon. How you'd go if you had the CEO of Amazon as your President compared to Trump is another matter.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 05:24:35 pm by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21785 on: July 16, 2018, 06:02:42 pm »

Not so much a President as a Prime Minister?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #21786 on: July 16, 2018, 06:08:40 pm »

Spoiler: Putin Motive Rant (click to show/hide)
Man, I don't what it is about me and long, laborious rants today. This is like the third one I've written, and on a totally different topic too. Oh well. At least it's a very... emotion-less rant? More like a monologue really. Any career options for soapboxing nowadays?
It's entirely plausible that he thinks he's doing just that. He's convinced himself that he's a master of media manipulation and Fox has largely played into that with their unhinged coverage of his Presidency, to say nothing of the other networks' obsession with quoting him; he may well believe that he can simply dictate what the masses should think and they will repeat it in shocked tones to each other until they believe it. In that light, meeting with Putin to the outrage of the left and the ineffectual grumbling of the right serves to show how he's more powerful than anyone else in America and can do whatever he likes, and any blowback he gets for yet again lavishing praise on autocrats is just another thing to erase from the media with more buffoonery.
I remember reading for class about someone who, upon hiring PR people in order to give the perception that they were cultured and experts on... something. Can't remember what it was, some obscure literature (French poetry or something; This in in NY btw.) ending up convincing themselves that they really were an expert on this topic.

And Trump has a lot of PR guys. Honestly, it'd be more of a shock if Trump weren't full of himself about everything.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 06:23:43 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21787 on: July 16, 2018, 06:18:04 pm »

* Naturally, I'm making the perhaps optimistic assumption that there isn't a "bigger Trump" out there that you elect later. Trump's from a particular era of 70s-80s real estate barons, and who he is and the way he uses social media is like a perfect storm. The future pool of talent for that sort of thing is really guys like Jeff Bezos of Amazon. How you'd go if you had the CEO of Amazon as your President compared to Trump is another matter.

Amazon now announcing an exclusive partnership with the US federal government.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21788 on: July 16, 2018, 06:23:43 pm »

Amazon now announcing an exclusive partnership with the US federal government.
But what if I can't afford my Prime Citizenship?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21789 on: July 16, 2018, 06:38:15 pm »

Also, forget conflicts of interest such as Trump's real-estate deals, Amazon got waivers from Congress to run a domestic drone fleet. So President Bezos will have his own personally-owned fleet of surveillance-capable drones in every major city.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 06:39:50 pm by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21790 on: July 16, 2018, 06:41:37 pm »

I initially missed the Amazon pun and thought you were suggesting some sort of minister who makes all the top-level decisions, while the President becomes some sort of morale-boosting figurehead.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21791 on: July 16, 2018, 06:59:49 pm »

I initially missed the Amazon pun and thought you were suggesting some sort of minister who makes all the top-level decisions, while the President becomes some sort of morale-boosting figurehead.
At least I wasn't the only one to think somewhere along those lines.

But, going by current trends in my immediate view, a President who is a morale-boosting figurehead and a PM who can be decisive at the top-level is a bit of a pipe-dream.  ;)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21792 on: July 16, 2018, 07:05:11 pm »

Headlines from a few years in the future:
Bezos to pick up cancelled US government.
Alexa obligatory in every household. Concerns over surveillance, freedom of speech.
Amazon Prime membership now to include voting rights, healthcare access.
90% of US population now employed by Amazon. Bezos on record referring to non-Prime members as 'my drones'.
Riots in the United Subsidiaries of Amazon. Drones protest against Prime privileges. Nerve stapling deployed.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21793 on: July 16, 2018, 07:34:12 pm »

Spoiler: Putin Motive Rant (click to show/hide)

I think you may be applying too strongly of an ideological bent to Putin's motives. When I hear "discredit democracy", the implication is that Putin is interested in creating a lasting ideological alternative that openly flaunts the basic premise of democracy in explicit favor of authoritarianism, but this seems to me a major mischaracterization of the Russian domestic politics that we agree are paramount here. Sham democracies aren't merely an unavoidable concession that despots need to make to the modern world (a purely negative chink in their armor in that sense), they are in part also actively anti-democratic, a means of legitimizing power that would be useful to the powerful even if there was no international pressure and no internal pressure clamoring for it. The sham democracy in this capacity isn't just a potential unraveling point for an autocratic regime, it's also a functionally useful tool at their disposal.

For Putin and the other Yeltsinite oligarchs, I think it's reasonable to say that questions of ideology are a matter of near perfect indifference. The Russian state only exists in its current form as a means of sanctioning the oligarchs' uninterrupted robbery of the country's current inhabitants; it's not even inconceivable that the country could transition to a lesser sham democracy on the same level as the US or even western Europe and still continue this function unabated. And this is really the critical point; it may suit Putin at the present time to try and establish equivalences between his regime and that of the US (which however disingenuous have an effect in part because they contain some kernel of truth) but there's nothing to say that this represents some lasting commitment to autocracy itself to an extent greater than other political establishments. If the history of liberal representative democracy has shown anything, it's that the ruling class can preserve their power and wealth regardless of what external ideal they use to sanction their power, just as the history of capitalism showed that the freeing of slaves and serfs was of little significant detriment to the class of property owners (and in the end to their advantage). You're totally right that what Putin fears most is revolution, but that goes without saying; it's true of every person of wealth or power with the slightest consciousness of their position and the restlessness around them.

It's really the narrative swirling around in the US media that our political establishment is opposing Russia based on their principles which is the joke that I can't entertain seriously (I shouldn't have to mention the hypocrisy of this when the US regularly props up dictators of even worse character and had nothing but good feelings for Putin himself until Ukraine), and the reverse claim that Russia fears the west for similar reasons seems similarly off point.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21794 on: July 17, 2018, 11:47:30 am »

Are Trumps relations with Putin are that out of line for an American President?

I fail too see how his behavior is much worse than Obama's "reset" with the very same dictator right after invasion into Georgia.  Can you imagine the level of media reaction if Trump said something like "reset"?

I can say the same about Bush inviting Putin to his ranch soon after Putin killed tens of thousands in Chechnya. Imagine Trump inviting Putin to one of his golf courses.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!
Pages: 1 ... 1451 1452 [1453] 1454 1455 ... 3566