Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1420 1421 [1422] 1423 1424 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227200 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #21315 on: June 27, 2018, 07:33:01 pm »

I guess Mike Lee is not actually a judge. That's more of what I expected.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21316 on: June 27, 2018, 07:44:06 pm »

And no one in my family can figure out why I'm depressed.
Seeing as this is the American politics thread reading it might not be the best idea. There is plenty to be depressed about right now unfortunately.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21317 on: June 27, 2018, 08:22:56 pm »

And as usual, Trump is massively fearmongering about how Democrats want to 'take away freedoms', well hello, Democrats are saying exactly the same thing about you Trump.

Shit like this is a good reason to consider reforming how SCOTUS terms work: https://www.vox.com/polyarchy/2018/6/27/17511030/supreme-court-term-limits-retirement https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/4/14/15295474/anthony-kennedy-retirement-replacement-nomination-supreme-court

The first one mentions the possibility of Democrats stuffing the court, which would be nuts, but that's the first time I've even heard a mention of it. I don't think anybody is even entertaining the idea. Though I guess if more replacements happen and the court gets extremely tilted, some could start bringing it up.

He wouldn't be the first who had a stint in Congress, theres several (none of the current ones) who have been in Congress.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 08:31:32 pm by smjjames »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21318 on: June 27, 2018, 08:43:20 pm »

Yeah, he's got the legal chops. Setting aside his politics, I always get a little nervous at nominations who aren't currently on the bench serving the US. I'd like to think those serving as Federal judges are more aligned with the law than politics, and vicea versa with Senators.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21319 on: June 27, 2018, 08:47:52 pm »

Coverage of the Cortez election is outright alarming. The news is acting like this is a major failure for the Democrats, when this sort of shift is exactly what the party needs to move forward.
Couldn't it be spun like Trump has spun things: "A Republican just won the Republican Primary! This is a win for Republicans all across the country!"

Assuming you don't automatically assume that the Dem leadership is too honest and straight-laced to try this sort of bald-faced lie. Iironically, it's GOPers/Trumpites who believe that they aren't.)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21320 on: June 27, 2018, 08:53:56 pm »

(IRTA Spike Lee...  :P)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21321 on: June 27, 2018, 09:14:22 pm »

And no one in my family can figure out why I'm depressed.
Seeing as this is the American politics thread reading it might not be the best idea. There is plenty to be depressed about right now unfortunately.
*Shrugs*

If I read them or not its going to affect me anyways.  What bothers me more is that I'm surrounded by people who simply cannot notice society at large is/has been going horribly horribly wrong.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kearn

• Bay Watcher
  • insert witty tagline here
    • View Profile
« Reply #21322 on: June 27, 2018, 10:31:07 pm »

i like goats

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21323 on: June 27, 2018, 10:48:23 pm »

If he's not careful, he just might get his ass kicked by a (relatively) young woman in 2020 with lots of energy, heh.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21324 on: June 27, 2018, 11:16:45 pm »

Mitch McConnell really is the most disgusting piece of hypocritical filth isn't he. I hate that man.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21325 on: June 27, 2018, 11:27:26 pm »

Why all the hate for Kennedy? He gave you Obamacare.

I wonder if Ginsburg and Breyer get replaced. Then the Supreme Court would be half constitutionalists with hardly any judicial activists left.

Oooh! Ted Cruz could be nominated! He argued at the Supreme Court before his senatorial career. It could be a good place to park him to head off 2020 primary conflicts of interest.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21327 on: June 28, 2018, 12:15:56 am »

Now given that it's almost mathematically impossible for the Republicans to lose the Senate in 2018, what do you figure the odds are that Ginsburg (85, multiple cancers) passes away while Republicans control the government? We could be looking at 3 Trump-appointed Justices, stacking the Court for 30 years.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21328 on: June 28, 2018, 12:21:45 am »

Now given that it's almost mathematically impossible for the Republicans to lose the Senate in 2018, what do you figure the odds are that Ginsburg (85, multiple cancers) passes away while Republicans control the government? We could be looking at 3 Trump-appointed Justices, stacking the Court for 30 years.

Very good?

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21329 on: June 28, 2018, 12:40:09 am »

I mean, never give up hope and all, but... https://www.270towin.com/2018-senate-election/.

Republicans need to win just one of the 7 toss-up states to secure a "majority" with 50 seats (Pence being the tiebreaker). The Democrats would need to ride a "blue wave" bigger than any in recent history. "Mathematically impossible" is perhaps overstating the case, but it would be miraculous if the Democrats pull a win out of this, given the hand they've been dealt.
Pages: 1 ... 1420 1421 [1422] 1423 1424 ... 3566