Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1414 1415 [1416] 1417 1418 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228330 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #21225 on: June 25, 2018, 06:16:29 pm »

Fuck I clicked the wrong link before copying: https://twitter.com/Laurie_Garrett/status/1010205853985792000
That is horrifying. God damn neoliberals. They just wont die.

Spoiler: climate change derail (click to show/hide)
+1
One of the most important things to the prosperity of the world is stability. Climate change is the great unstabilizer. All throughout history when it has happened, and I will note that they were smaller swings then we are seeing now, it has caused massive damage.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21226 on: June 25, 2018, 06:30:26 pm »

One of the most important things to the prosperity of the world is stability. Climate change is the great unstabilizer. All throughout history when it has happened, and I will note that they were smaller swings then we are seeing now, it has caused massive damage.

While this is entirely correct, a big problem with the climate debate is the feeling of being "lied to". I was in an argument recently with a guy who insisted climate change was just another false alarm like acid rain, the ozone hole, and smog. These are problems that have largely been dealt with (not yet eliminated, and smog is only really beaten back in some areas) through regulation and treaties, but he remembered all of them being presented as huge apocalyptic disasters. When those disasters failed to appear (due to a massive and largely successful effort being taken to prevent them), he attributed this to "the whole thing was an excuse to butt in", not "even the biggest environmental problems can be solved if decisive action is taken".

Forecasting far larger consequences than even the worst projections suggest only feeds into this - even if you convince somebody to look into the science, they're more likely to come away with a "you liar! None of these scientists really expect the earth to be a lifeless rock in 50 years!" reaction instead of "This is actually pretty bad, and we should do something about it even if it isn't as bad as I was told" reaction.

Like it or not, the best way to address public perception would be to calmly and repeatedly make modest predictions - then use those predictions as a springboard when they are proven true. This wouldn't have convinced everybody (the denial drummers are very loud), but the voice of reason would have sunk into enough minds eventually, and probably more quickly than any other tactic would do.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21227 on: June 25, 2018, 07:05:20 pm »

Traveller, given the number of ships in the world can you source your claim that the 20 most polluting ships emit more than all the other ships in existancw?

I believe it's just urban legend based on a 2009 calculation that the world's 16 largest ships produced as much sulfur oxides as all the world's cars. This was because the amount of sulfur in car fuels is negligible, but the amount of sulfur in ship fuels wasn't regulated. Since then, the amount of sulfur in ship fuel has become regulated, so the claim isn't accurate anymore (as someone explains in this Quora page). Also, in 2015 road transport accounted for 75 % of all transportation CO2 emissions (page 39 of source), and the shipping industry's CO2 emissions were estimated to be 2.2% of global human-made emissions in 2012. So no 50% global emissions cuts by scrapping a couple of ships. (Well, maybe in sulfur oxides...)

Anyways, did you guys notice that Trump's tariffs are working? Harley-Davidson's moving some of its production out of the US. Donald is surprised. Wonder what Paul Ryan thinks...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21228 on: June 25, 2018, 07:29:17 pm »

We'd have more bang for the buck if we can farm seaweed at commercial scales, and feed it to cows, to prevent farting and burping. And that's no hot air.

http://www.times-standard.com/article/NJ/20180525/NEWS/180529875

During lab tests last year, researchers in Australia found that just 2 percent seaweed in cattle feed could reduce methane emissions by 99 percent.

The mass of the methane saved also turns into more cow instead of being farted away. The only problem is mass-producing the additive, which is a ways off.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 07:40:35 pm by Reelya »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21229 on: June 25, 2018, 07:40:11 pm »

That idea smells. It's making me salty.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21230 on: June 25, 2018, 07:41:48 pm »

Wait, they can't grow seaweed commercially? Then where do they make packaged seaweed wraps?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21231 on: June 25, 2018, 07:43:50 pm »

TBH I always felt that was like asking how do they raise artificial crabs for the meat.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21232 on: June 25, 2018, 07:51:03 pm »

If it can be done for a profit someone will come up with a scalable seaweed farm. Whether that will be a good thing is up for debate given the history of such things.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21233 on: June 25, 2018, 07:53:07 pm »

I guess I wasn't explicit enough by mentioning specific pollutants in my previous post - I thought it was kind of clear when I mentioned diesel particulates and unburned hydrocarbons.  It was a slightly subtle ploy of "statistics can never lie, but you can make them say whatever you want."

Best possible things as a society we can do to reduce CO2 emissions (if you're dead set on just looking at that one chemical) is actually to reduce the need for transportation. I did some back-of-the-envelope calculations and over half my family's direct energy CO2 is due to transportation.  I'd love to see government incentives to companies for telecommuting - that would be better off that subsidizing electric cars  (people tend to drive more efficient cars more miles than less efficient cars). It would also have many other benefits, like lower traffic (fewer accidents, less road wear and tear), higher worker productivity*, and less of the non-CO2 pollutants.

*Yes this is actually true for some industries, especially white-collar.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21234 on: June 25, 2018, 07:53:32 pm »

Wait, they can't grow seaweed commercially? Then where do they make packaged seaweed wraps?
They do grow seaweed commercially: around 10-12 million tons (frozen) a year, give or take, if these 2010 figures are anywhere close to the modern day.  I'd imagine the problem is that you can make more money off it selling directly to people, and that feeding the entire world's cattle supply on it, even at a mere 2% of their feed, is a significant outlay on top of that. 

EDIT:
To add, though, that is just a WAG on my part based on the immediate supposition by Reelya; the problem he asserts with scaling up production of the supplements may not be tied to seaweed itself at all.  Seaweed aquaculture also has the same problems with nutrient depletion and overstock that conventional agriculture has; water pollution from the effluvia can cause environmental issues, so contrary to the article's assertion, scaling production even further may have negative environmental impact on pelagic regions.  Properly done, it can also be good for the environment by increasing local biodiversity, but that's as long as you don't exceed the local ability to nourish the new biota.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 08:18:22 pm by Culise »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21235 on: June 25, 2018, 09:11:34 pm »

While this is entirely correct, a big problem with the climate debate is the feeling of being "lied to".
Ding!

It is treated as acceptable to fib and exaggerate a little to the lay audience because the consequences could wind up being massive, but at that point you are no longer acting as a scientist should and if at any point these exaggerations become understood you're not likely to increase support for whatever cause you were behind. Burning hydrocarbons is a wasteful mess for any number of reasons, but leaning on worst case projections (note the use rather than predictions) and reducing a vast complex field to a few easily digested but scary soundbites may not have been the best way to go about weaning us off of oil and coal. I can say this with the benefit of nearly 30 years of hindsight since first reading about the oncoming DOOM! in natgeo and discover and like... omni I wanna say--fuck, there's a blast from the past--and watching the reactionary "nope, nuh-uh, no way" crowd swell is frustrating. Like, how exactly do you tell someone they're kinda right for the wrong reasons but mostly wrong because [blahblahblah] before their eyes roll back in their head and you lose them entirely because their position is grounded in a proud ignorance?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #21236 on: June 25, 2018, 11:23:48 pm »

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21237 on: June 25, 2018, 11:35:27 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21238 on: June 26, 2018, 12:17:46 am »

Interesting article on the infamous "I Don't Care" jacket.
...Are they trying to link apathy to Fascism? That's kind of a stretch...
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #21239 on: June 26, 2018, 12:25:18 am »

Interesting article on the infamous "I Don't Care" jacket.
...Are they trying to link apathy to Fascism? That's kind of a stretch...

I think it's more like the phrase has ideological and propaganda ties to fascist history that have nothing to do with apathy.  We see it as being about apathy partially because of differences in language.

Unless you want to also believe that modern self-labeling fascists are linking themselves to apathy by promoting the phrase, too...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 1414 1415 [1416] 1417 1418 ... 3567