Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1413 1414 [1415] 1416 1417 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228311 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #21210 on: June 25, 2018, 08:10:51 am »

I'd also vote for banning all the redundant tools they include in the final-assembly-by-end-consumer furniture.  I think I have about three dozen identical low-quality hex wrenches.  Spread across the world volume of this furniture, there are literal tons of steel and extra shipping cost due to weight for such a seemingly minor thing.  Things add up quickly...

But this is all decimal dust - fixing or decommissioning the worst 20 (yes, literally 20) polluting ocean ships will reduce worldwide vehicle-based emissions by something like 50%.  You can probably get another massive reduction by forcing the replacement of the worst-polluting 20% of the heavy truck fleet (you should see the crud coming out of the exhaust pipes of the garbage trucks in my area... both the black-soot (particulate) and blue-smoke (serious internal engine issue) variety.

And yes, I know about attacking problems from as many fronts as possible, but when we really really do have a Pareto problem where 80% of the pollution comes from 20% of the sources, we really need to think of where we (meaning society) get the most benefit from our efforts. I want to be in the place where spending 20% of the money gives us 80% of the benefit, rather than in the long tail where 80% of the money gives you the last 20% benefit.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21211 on: June 25, 2018, 08:20:12 am »

@McTraveller, yes, that is the best way to go about it. Greatest bang for the buck. As an older co-worker of mine mentioned, he was unsure why we emissions test newer cars and ignore older ones when the older ones burn much dirtier. Cutting pollution off at the source is the best method, as opposed to working as an end user to reduce it.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #21212 on: June 25, 2018, 09:32:01 am »

I'd like to see more intelligent traffic signals in cities.  There is so goddamn much pointless stopping and starting.  For example, stop signs set up at intersections that only see the type of traffic to justify them for a few hours out of the day.  This increases fuel consumption a lot, and on those older vehicles that pollute really badly, when they have to get moving out of a stop is when you'll most often see a big dense puff of black shot out of their exhaust pipe.

Better use of railways and some legal standards imposed on shipping practices to cut down on airfreight/truck expedites in the supply chain world would go a long way as well, I'm sure.  Eliminate just-in-time inventory practices.  Nobody's going to die if some bluetooth speakers hit the retail shelf a day late.  But by god those people would murder infants in satanic rituals if it would ensure their stuff gets delivered exactly the moment they want it to.  And they're always pushing for more airfreight and exclusive trucks to have as much control as possible.  I couldn't give out solid metrics on just how much this behavior pushes up the pollution levels/fuel waste of supply chain activity, but I'd be surprised if it's not a significant amount.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21213 on: June 25, 2018, 02:04:11 pm »

Your climatic effect description there is quite wrong. Or are you trying to express sarcasm? I can't tell.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In less derail-y news: https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Government-Reform-and-Reorg-Plan.pdf

What.
The.
Fuckery.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21214 on: June 25, 2018, 02:44:12 pm »

I ain't tryin' ta be lazy but that's like 9 million pages of TLDR in what part of this document can the fuckeries be found?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21215 on: June 25, 2018, 02:53:38 pm »

Fuck I clicked the wrong link before copying: https://twitter.com/Laurie_Garrett/status/1010205853985792000

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21216 on: June 25, 2018, 02:58:40 pm »

He has to win reelection for any chance of any of that to happen.

Also that slick is so Trumpian it hurts.

"Permitting takes too long and wastes too many tax dollars!"

-Joe
Florida
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #21217 on: June 25, 2018, 03:08:08 pm »

It's been in the news for a few weeks now, but not usually front page stuff due to, well, everything.

There are a lot of changes. Consolidating education and labor, for example, and trying to put most welfare under a single branch to make it easier to cut. It's the brainchild of Budget Director Mulvaney, for what it's worth.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21218 on: June 25, 2018, 03:25:11 pm »

Here's a neat gem:

page 16, paragraph 11 proposes placing the policy power of the OEM (responsible for issuing security and top secret clearances) directly into the Executive Office of the WH
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #21219 on: June 25, 2018, 03:30:41 pm »

Holy fuck.  Its like 10 Republican wet dreams combined with a single Republican nightmare (which consolidating huge amounts of power under the president).

I mean nightmare in terms of the platonic idea of what the Republican party is, obviously to the current politicians that's not a nightmare.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21220 on: June 25, 2018, 03:34:21 pm »

Spoiler: climate change derail (click to show/hide)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21221 on: June 25, 2018, 05:24:25 pm »

Traveller, given the number of ships in the world can you source your claim that the 20 most polluting ships emit more than all the other ships in existancw?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #21222 on: June 25, 2018, 05:44:25 pm »

Holy fuck.  Its like 10 Republican wet dreams combined with a single Republican nightmare (which consolidating huge amounts of power under the president).

I mean nightmare in terms of the platonic idea of what the Republican party is, obviously to the current politicians that's not a nightmare.

It's outright Jade Helm type stuff, honestly. Though I wish the democrats were as ambitious. Can you imagine if the Democrats had a plan outlining the total remodeling of the US government in order to radically redistribute wealth and ensure government accountability?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 05:46:05 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #21223 on: June 25, 2018, 05:59:35 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21224 on: June 25, 2018, 06:00:13 pm »

But then it would be an evil plan to put us under a totalitarian regime, obvs. /s

Honestly, I do want to read it and understand their goals for it properly. Mostly because I love plans like these. That said, I highly suspect that Twitter link is accurate. :(
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 1413 1414 [1415] 1416 1417 ... 3567