Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1049 1050 [1051] 1052 1053 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4180715 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Senate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15750 on: December 17, 2017, 01:37:55 pm »

Executive branch of federal government tells executive branch of federal government how to write their budget proposal.

World literally ends.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Senate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15751 on: December 17, 2017, 02:25:25 pm »

Executive branch of federal government tells executive branch of federal government how to write their budget proposal.

World literally ends.

Executive branch of federal government tells the CDC what they can say about diseases and how.

Safety of literally millions of people is now a purely political issue and you should pretend people don't die because of head in the sand bullshit like this, when they, in fact, often due.

Check out stuff about GRID before it was AIDS. 'Well we can't treat it or understand it yet, let's throw in the towel, not talk about it, and let human beings suffer and die because talking about it like adults makes us uncomfortable.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15752 on: December 17, 2017, 02:45:32 pm »

World literally ends.

Executive branch of federal government tells the CDC what they can say about diseases and how.

Safety of literally millions of people is now a purely political issue and you should pretend people don't die because of head in the sand bullshit like this, when they, in fact, often due.

Check out stuff about GRID before it was AIDS. 'Well we can't treat it or understand it yet, let's throw in the towel, not talk about it, and let human beings suffer and die because talking about it like adults makes us uncomfortable.

Says what they can say about diseases in their budget request narrative.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15753 on: December 17, 2017, 02:52:02 pm »

Money is a hugely important factor in how organizations function, wouldn't you say? Regardless, I am just tired of the doublespeak and political infighting and complete lack of concern for the welfare of American citizens that is the current hallmark of our government. Just sort of bugs me.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15754 on: December 17, 2017, 02:58:23 pm »

World literally ends.

Still dumb since there are programs that use those words. Sure, the word 'vulnerable' has a crapload of synonyms, but the word fetus doesn't have a whole lot that are in context, 'unborn child'? Sounds a little odd when you say first trimester unborn child. How about transgender?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15755 on: December 17, 2017, 03:20:41 pm »

World literally ends.

Still dumb since there are programs that use those words. Sure, the word 'vulnerable' has a crapload of synonyms, but the word fetus doesn't have a whole lot that are in context, 'unborn child'? Sounds a little odd when you say first trimester unborn child. How about transgender?

Certainly dumb, but dumb represents the majority of things every government has done since the dawn of government (and politician is the 2nd oldest profession, remember). Will the CDC not using these words result in it getting less money during the next budget cycle? Will it result in an appreciable shift from ideal budgeting for the United States?

Likely not.

On the positive side, considering that NPR ran their fifteen minute piece on this subject immediately followed by someone actively spouting misinformation about the Tet Offensive, maybe it's fine for everyone for everyone to be fixated on word choice in budget reports.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15756 on: December 17, 2017, 05:39:19 pm »

Interesting (but mobile unfriendly) article on the plight of the millennial generation. I think the article is a bit too conciliatory towards the corporate bastards who caused all this shit, but the numbers are good and some actual recognition of the issue is a step forward.

There is simply no real world in which young people can live by the script. For me, it broke when I got out of college, and it breaks for a lot of people even before that. I don't personally know a single person who has a clear vision of their career or has an attitude towards children higher than "maybe someday...". Not only that, but it's definitely bleeding over heavily into politics. I don't need to remind any of you the severity with which millennials supported Bernie over every other contender, and just about everybody is on their way out of Bland Neoliberal Corporate Stasis, be that to the right or to the left.

I sometimes seriously wonder as to the level of flat out delusion that the ultra-rich have towards the society they try to influence. Even the vaunted Upper Middle Class has a bad tendency to just shut their eyes to the rest of the world, and I cannot imagine that problem resolving itself with more money. This is not a way of being that can last or be tolerated by anyone. The whole of young society is falling into a state of continuous uncertainty, and it seems like our "wise elders" have no response but the blame game.

Social despondency, economic despondency, and environmental despondency. It's not a problem contained to America by far, but I think it's particularly pronounced here. That's the nature of the grand crisis.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15757 on: December 17, 2017, 05:42:22 pm »

Wombgrowth, comproofified, mansition.

Ok fine I'll admit it, my secret shame: I am a tail-Xer... and... I'm in love with...

...a millenial, ok, there goddammit I admitted it, yes it's disgusting, I know, and I tease her about the arbitrary difference 2 years can make but there it is.

Also, who uses "that feeling when" instead of "that feel when" seriously?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 05:48:54 pm by Max™ »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15758 on: December 17, 2017, 05:54:10 pm »

...I never even received my copy of the script...
Love, scriver~

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15759 on: December 17, 2017, 06:28:07 pm »

...There's a script?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15760 on: December 17, 2017, 06:28:58 pm »

Prompt!?!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15761 on: December 17, 2017, 06:32:12 pm »

Also: @Max™: Er, I do?  Not that it's immediately obvious when typing tfw, but I tend to prefer grammatical correctness.

Though that isn't very politics-related.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15762 on: December 17, 2017, 06:47:34 pm »

The article MSH posted mentioned it, but feel amuses me more than feeling, probably because of /dfg/ contamination in mah brainmeats.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15763 on: December 17, 2017, 07:16:57 pm »

Interesting (but mobile unfriendly) article on the plight of the millennial generation. I think the article is a bit too conciliatory towards the corporate bastards who caused all this shit, but the numbers are good and some actual recognition of the issue is a step forward.

There is simply no real world in which young people can live by the script. For me, it broke when I got out of college, and it breaks for a lot of people even before that. I don't personally know a single person who has a clear vision of their career or has an attitude towards children higher than "maybe someday...". Not only that, but it's definitely bleeding over heavily into politics. I don't need to remind any of you the severity with which millennials supported Bernie over every other contender, and just about everybody is on their way out of Bland Neoliberal Corporate Stasis, be that to the right or to the left.

I sometimes seriously wonder as to the level of flat out delusion that the ultra-rich have towards the society they try to influence. Even the vaunted Upper Middle Class has a bad tendency to just shut their eyes to the rest of the world, and I cannot imagine that problem resolving itself with more money. This is not a way of being that can last or be tolerated by anyone. The whole of young society is falling into a state of continuous uncertainty, and it seems like our "wise elders" have no response but the blame game.

Social despondency, economic despondency, and environmental despondency. It's not a problem contained to America by far, but I think it's particularly pronounced here. That's the nature of the grand crisis.
So when you all come to kill me for what my generation has done (though really, it's more just that we're too fucking apathetic and slacker to stop the Boomers), I don't know that I'll fight back. We kinda deserve it.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15764 on: December 17, 2017, 07:29:28 pm »

https://www.thebalance.com/past-performance-is-no-guarantee-of-future-results-357862

Simply because it worked out for your parents, does not mean it will work out for you, since as the (prior) article clearly points out, the status quo has changed---DRASTICALLY.

It is important to understand WHY your parents were able to make it work, when considering your own chances of making it work today, because the means they used may no longer be available, and without that means, the whole process becomes unworkable. (and before anyone asks naively about why I linked to a site harping about investments, I ask that you put 2 and 2 together. Much like they advise you to "go where the puck will be, not where it is", you need to see the current situation, and make decisions about where the future will be, not where things are now, or where they were 10 years ago. The same advice they give about planning a portfolio applies to the unstable reality millenials face for daily life today.)

This is why these comforting family gatherings are not really useful. I hate to rip that warm fuzzy feeling away, but I hate seeing good people get ruined.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 07:33:19 pm by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 1049 1050 [1051] 1052 1053 ... 3566