Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 987 988 [989] 990 991 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4196318 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Congress attempts to cross streams while working on tax 'reform'
« Reply #14820 on: November 19, 2017, 04:04:41 pm »

We already knew that, though. I don’t think playing DF is particularly corellated with liberalism.

I’m also sure you could’ve done it without the nativist patriotism, but eh, I’m more bothered that it appears you’re ignoring your country’s history there.

Yeah, not sure what elicited the sudden response like that either since the topic of the moment was oil spills and also historical treatment of First Nation peoples, nothing that I could see that would elicit a sudden response like that.

Not complaining about the response, just agreeing with the general unsaid "what are you responding to exactly?"

And yeah, DF isn't correlated with any particular political lean. Not sure why there is a liberal tendency on the forum as far as US politics goes, but there's players from both ends of the political spectrum and everywhere in between.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 04:11:35 pm by smjjames »

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14821 on: November 19, 2017, 04:07:21 pm »

I'm just letting it be known that not all dwarf fortress players are liberals. Love the game, love toady one and the incredible work of the modders.

Hopefully I'll get a new pc so I can ennoy the upcoming update.

uh yeah im pretty sure we all know that, otherwise there wouldn't be vicious political arguments every twenty pages or so.

True, but these days, it feels like a lot of that arguing is being done between people who are all more-or-less liberal. We used to have a few pretty conservative posters on here, but they've mostly stopped posting since the election.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14822 on: November 19, 2017, 04:08:29 pm »

I’m also sure you could’ve done it without the nativist patriotism, but eh, I’m more bothered that it appears you’re ignoring your country’s history there.
::)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14823 on: November 19, 2017, 04:18:21 pm »

To be fair, he is British.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14824 on: November 19, 2017, 05:17:59 pm »

This emote looks pretty dumb when you have smileys turned off, as I do. Okay, it's pretty dumb anyway.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14825 on: November 19, 2017, 05:19:26 pm »

We already knew that, though. I don’t think playing DF is particularly corellated with liberalism.

The association would be more accurate with Liberal Crime Squad.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14826 on: November 19, 2017, 05:22:46 pm »

I don't think posting in these dark depths of the Lower Boards is very correlated with being a DF fan anyway.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14827 on: November 19, 2017, 05:25:30 pm »

This emote looks pretty dumb when you have smileys turned off, as I do. Okay, it's pretty dumb anyway.
Yeah, I've always hated the "::)". It makes no sense. But it is what it is.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14828 on: November 19, 2017, 05:37:11 pm »

i will always support my nation and especially my president, president Trump.
Out of interest, what proportion of that is supporting your President and how much is supporting Trump?  The position vs the man.

(I could also ask about the nation bit, but I'll leave that for another day, another person.)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14829 on: November 19, 2017, 05:45:21 pm »

As a UKian, I'm not even convinced that I know enough about what US liberalism is. Especially given it is clearly not libertarianism, notably when that's the so-called Libertarian Right who seem to think everyone should be forced to enjoy only particular freedoms.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14830 on: November 19, 2017, 05:51:13 pm »

As a UKian, I'm not even convinced that I know enough about what US liberalism is. Especially given it is clearly not libertarianism, notably when that's the so-called Libertarian Right who seem to think everyone should be forced to enjoy only particular freedoms.
American liberalism is typically either this or this with the Marx filed off. People overblow the unknowable nature of American liberal ideology.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14831 on: November 19, 2017, 05:54:25 pm »

Isn’t Libertarian more leftish? They’re left leaning on some things and right leaning on others but in general they just want the government to minimally exist and not stick its fingers into everything.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14832 on: November 19, 2017, 06:12:57 pm »

American libertarians are basically as close as possible to anarchists/Anarcho capitalists without being quite that level.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14833 on: November 19, 2017, 06:15:01 pm »

American libertarians are basically as close as possible to anarchists/Anarcho capitalists without being quite that level.
As an actual anarchist, let me assure you: not even a little.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14834 on: November 19, 2017, 06:17:12 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 987 988 [989] 990 991 ... 3566