Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 870 871 [872] 873 874 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4199738 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Depends. Have I gone out to nazi, antifa or BLM marches and tried discourse there? No, lots of people have though and most have had little luck in getting anything intelligible from them.

Have I talked to people who seem to generally support their movement in more controlled settings? Yes. I have, in fact. This forum is a solid example of a place where at least a few on one side or another congregate.

All sides are wrong, all sides have their empathetic stories of why they feel that way. But in each case they fall back on emotional reasons rather than logic.

So many people have been telling you there is blame on both sides, sluissa?

Do both sides have some very fine people, too?

(Just to be clear, sluissa, I'm not saying you're like Trump. I'm saying that you've reached by presumably careful consideration the same position that a deranged Cheeto reached through sheer inanity.)

The "blame on both sides" thing is a fairly common opinion among the conservative sector. The "very fine people" view is a little more rare. But I think it's fair to say it's possible people on both sides got swept up in it without realizing the full picture of it all. I don't care to try to guess what Trump meant by those words specifically though nor will I try to compare what two different people mean by the same words.

I'm getting tired of people repeating the same arguments on this topic, but never responding to mine.

I assert, once again, that the resurgence in white nationalism isn't because they've been successful in portraying themselves as martyrs.  The idea that a person with no bigoted inclinations would watch a nazi be victimized and think "His ideology must be right, because he's being persecuted for it.  I am inspired now to hate colored skin and different sexualities." is incomprehensibly absurd.

The resurgence is because the taboo surrounding those ideas has faded and loosened over time, to the point that it's been superceded by free speech dogmatism.  Bigotry is deeply rooted in American culture, and never went away.  It was only forced, through much blood, sweat, and tears, into hiding.  After WW2 and then the civil rights movement, severe bigotry became universally understood to be unacceptable in public, and potentially ruinous to reveal even in private company.

This is 101 shit.  Social movements cannot build up if the people aligned with them don't know who their allies are and can't find them.  This is one of the effects of a strict cultural taboo.  Declaring free speech more important than this taboo means white nationalists are going to find themselves capable of movement building again.  Period.  That is what is happening.

The centrists in this conversation are just as guilty of obsession with ideological purity as the people they accuse of this.  You care more about ideological purity in regards to the ideal of free speech than you do about keeping people who literally just want to kill anybody who isn't like them from having the capability to build a movement capable of enacting their will.  You are treating an ideal absolute, while saying that everything wrong with politics is other people treating their ideals as absolutes.

Unless you can explain to me the socio/psychological mechanism behind how someone with no inclination towards bigotry can watch someone get punched for openly declaring black people to be inferior subhumans and think "Hmm... I think he's right.  But only because he got punched for saying it."

It's not strictly the "martyrdom" that draws followers. There's a source of the anger. Let's take a more clear cut example in BLM first.

BLM was founded more or less on the message of fighting police brutality and injustice in general against black people. There's a solid, real problem there that's basically proven to exist in some form and is worth putting effort to change one way or another.

The problem is there and deserves attention. Instead of looking for sources and ways to change it, they attack directly what they see as the problem. They protest the police directly. They incite hate against the police force as a whole instead of attacking the specific issues that lead to it. All this does is bring paranoia and hate back around at them from the police. Pressure builds on both sides and then it explodes violently with further issues. Attacks on police, more examples of brutality and all along the examples of injustice remain or grow larger.

Neo-nazis don't just turn that way overnight. With exceptions being made possibly for inheritance of values from neo-nazi parents, or other influential family members, one has to have a reason to feel that way and have that much anger and while it's more misguided, it stems from a very similar sort origin as BLM. Many white conservatives see multiculturalism as a thing that's killing off their own culture. "White Culture" if there is anything that can be clearly defined as such and for lack of a better term, is so ubiquitous in some places as to have become the default cultural background noise. But being the default background noise of culture means it's very easy for new noises to come in and be very noticeable above the din of the background. New noises come in, it can make things uncomfortable until you get used to them, and if you actually LIKED the background noise rather than simply lived with it as such, then you might take the new noises as an attack on something you care about.

These opinions still don't make a nazi though for most people. Enough of it, over a long enough time, maybe some manner of racism. It takes more hostility and pressure though to make it turn into something described at "hate". You have people that put their opinons out there "I don't like this new noise all that much, it was better without it." The makers of the new noise rightly take that as hostility toward their culture. Pressure builds and builds and builds. Finally, along come a group of charismatic speakers, people who openly speak out against the "noise makers". This makes people feel validated, they "say what everyone is thinking" and most importantly they do their best to actively be abrasive toward the "noise makers". Afterall, someone needs to make those troublesome people fall in line and be quiet. This abrasiveness reaches a flash point and suddenly you have people getting punched. Where before you had "Oh, hey, I kind of agree with these nazi guys, things are getting a bit noisy." to people reasoning "I agree with these guys and they got punched for what they said. An attack on them is an attack on myself. There is simply no dealing with these noisy people, they must go away."

Now, poorly drawn conclusion or not, they feel their culture is under attack. When it comes to the point where one feels the only option to protect something as vital and core to one's identity as culture is to make sure it's the only one that still has any power. That's when you begin to get actual "nazis."

Again, just to make it clear, this is not logical, this is not correct, but it does make a modest amount of sense when viewed through their lens. Aggression and hate formed their viewpoint, moreso will only reinforce it.

Note: I wrote most of this last night and fell asleep half way through, some of this has been addressed already by others, and there was more I wanted to respond to but I just wanted to finish my thought as best I could before the conversation had progressed another two pages. Some of what I wanted to say did disappear in the night, however. Sleep is frustrating sometimes.

Edit: MSH hit the nail on the head. The best way to dissolve hate is to emphasize the similarities, show compassion and show that you can make a better world for all without losing something yourself.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 12:41:13 pm by sluissa »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was googling around and found a site called www.thebalance.com which had some figures for Trump's tax plan. However, I noticed some innacuracies so I started looking at other pages on the site, and there are a lot of factual errors.

https://www.thebalance.com/job-creation-by-president-by-number-and-percent-3863218

There were 143.1 million people working in 2015. That's 10 times more than the 31.5 million employed in 1939

Is it fucking really? My math must be out of date, thanks, thebalance.com

... how can i trust a site is truly balanced if they can't math?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

... friggin' english, I can't tell if you're joking or not at this point.

Any case, guess that means the thing's actually been released to public scrutiny? Quick search looks like it has (and maybe for a day or two), but haven't checked enough to tell if what's out is actually what's being proposed or a bit of preparatory fluffery.

E: Ah, nevermind. Have now read what appears to be it. Preparatory fluffery it is, heh. Some stuff is mentioned but most seems to be something a nebulous committee will decide on at an unspecified date.

... also yeah, what looks to be commentary that the proposed changes would disproportionately benefit the richer parts of the country's demographic looks... pretty accurate. Blatantly accurate. Painfully blatant. "Takes at most an introductory tax class and maybe two seconds of thinking" blatant. Poorer folks (i.e. most of the country's actual ruddy population) look to (mostly, maybe) get a small bit of relief, too, but goddamn.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 04:03:07 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

31.5 million x 10 = "uhhhh.... how many people were working a couple years ago?"

Goddamn, somebody got punched a lot, made em dumb as a brick!

As for the rest, I must again point out: the 1st only protects against government interference in speech, someone cries "muh first amendment" when you punch them for wearing a swastika and throwing salutes, punch them again for being stupid and then explain the difference between the government doing something and a private citizen doing it.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

And if you punch them, expect to be arrested, because assault is a crime, but being a Nazi isn't.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

explain the difference between the government doing something and a private citizen doing it.

... which, ironically enough, includes throwing punches.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

And if you punch them, expect to be arrested, because assault is a crime, but being a Nazi isn't.
Eh, technically. Lot of the stuff it entails certainly is, though. Good chunk of what's common for 'em to indulge in when they outnumber someone is, too. As identifiers for likely criminal activity goes, the ones trying to incite violence and having ethnic cleansing and genocide as explicit goals aren't exactly the worst you could roll with.

Any case, if you happen to be on the white/conservative side of things in the US, you'd even have pretty good odds of not being arrested, or dealing with much consequence even if you are. Lotta' folks get a good deal of leeway in this country. Have a beer or two first, be contrite, maybe make sure you're in an area where you know some of the local cops or politicians. You really feel like punching a nazi and largely, if not entirely, getting away with it, you got methods available. Corruption and racism is a hell of a drug.
Ask not!
Ask!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Our legal system is not supposed to identify 'likely' criminals, it is supposed to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the ARE criminals.  And yes, I am fully aware that that is not what is actually happening, and the fact that it isn't makes me vastly angrier than any of the other things happening right now.  Treating the symptoms is only a temporary measure, we desperately need to cure the disease, I just wish I knew how.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Eh, there's certainly concrete steps you can take on that front. Getting the symptoms under control tends to make identifying and/or curing the disease easier. I hear third party watchdogs for police departments help quite a bit, ferex. Body cam stuff helps, too, if kinda' requiring people to stop buying bullshit when the cams just happen to not work for some reason. Infrastructure style stuff (police funding, welfare to reduce possible friction points, etc., etc., etc.) can be done there, too, so long as the will and the money is there to make it happen.

Buncha' crap, really. Complicated shit doesn't tend to lend well to simple solutions, but hitting as many points as you can can work out decently, as things go.

... amusingly/appropriately enough, though, one of the likely causes of that particular disease includes white supremacist infiltration of law enforcement, heh. Certain chunks of our population happen to rather like being able to take advantage of those symptoms and/or make them worse.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 05:04:52 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

No doubt, and as I said I'm fine with the possibility of telling a judge "well your honor, he insisted he was a nazi after I gave him lots of chances to clear it up as a misunderstanding, and I'd hate to disappoint my grandpa but last time I checked that's what he and lots of our grandfathers fought and died for" if it came to that, but the key takeaway is that people don't seem to grasp that the 1st means the government can't tell you certain speech isn't free, but it's fine and dandy when we as members of society stand up and say fuck nazis.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No doubt, and as I said I'm fine with the possibility of telling a judge "well your honor, he insisted he was a nazi after I gave him lots of chances to clear it up as a misunderstanding, and I'd hate to disappoint my grandpa but last time I checked that's what he and lots of our grandfathers fought and died for" if it came to that, but the key takeaway is that people don't seem to grasp that the 1st means the government can't tell you certain speech isn't free, but it's fine and dandy when we as members of society stand up and say fuck nazis.

Nobody fought or died for your "right" to answer distasteful rhetoric with violence, Max, no matter how often you claim it's really self-defense because their words hurt more than your fists. You don't, in fact, have that right.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile

grandpa only punched nazis after they swung the first punch.
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Max, if I simply replace the word "Nazi" in your statement with (jew/black/latino/muslim/etc.), then your words would sound a hell of a lot like the very rhetoric the people you are suggesting punching espouse.  And that does NOT strengthen your position, at all.

Edit: And let's get another thing straight, Hitler's eugenics bullshit was hardly the reason people were fighting the Third Reich, the reason people were fighting was because their nations were being actively invaded by a hostile nation bent on conquest,  the VAST bulk of the Nazi's crimes weren't discovered until well into the conflict.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 09:59:42 pm by NullForceOmega »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Max, if I simply replace the word "Nazi" in your statement with (jew/black/latino/muslim/etc.), then your words would sound a hell of a lot like the very rhetoric the people you are suggesting punching espouse.  And that does NOT strengthen your position, at all.

Edit: And let's get another thing straight, Hitler's eugenics bullshit was hardly the reason people were fighting the Third Reich, the reason people were fighting was because their nations were being actively invaded by a hostile nation bent on conquest,  the VAST bulk of the Nazi's crimes weren't discovered until well into the conflict.
funnily enough a was listening to a holocaust survivor giving a talk and the think she said was people just couldn't believe what was happening even as they were being sent to die. she literally said the thing that went through her head at the time was its (current year) this could never happen! literally on the way to Auschwitz mind you.
Pages: 1 ... 870 871 [872] 873 874 ... 3566