Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 847 848 [849] 850 851 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4204379 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: GOP attempting ACA repeal again.
« Reply #12720 on: September 22, 2017, 12:37:17 am »

For those interested in current status/update on Graham-Cassidy shitberg happenings: https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/911034517770686464

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12721 on: September 22, 2017, 06:26:28 am »

For those interested in current status/update on Graham-Cassidy shitberg happenings: https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/911034517770686464

That summary is amazingly depressing. They're trying to win Lisa Murkowski over to the bill by saying her Alaska doesn't have to be affected by it. That should be a pretty big red flag.

"Yeah, we know this bill is terrible, but if you support it, then you can ignore it."
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12722 on: September 22, 2017, 07:18:12 am »

If they do that to enough people, the bill won't apply to anyone.

Problem solved.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #12723 on: September 22, 2017, 07:35:27 am »

"Yeah, we know this bill is terrible, but if you support it, then you can ignore it."

Isn't "I don't care if it's a problem, so long as it doesn't affect me" pretty much the central tenant of (American) Republicanism?

It is basically the political embodiment of "Fuck y'all, got mine", except people who don't even have "mine" yet vote for them because "one day I may get mine, so should pre-emptively fuck y'all"...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 09:35:20 am by MorleyDev »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12724 on: September 22, 2017, 09:17:52 am »

I'unno about republicanism, but the GOP's elected officials, well. There's an argument to be made, there, these last handful of years. Gets stronger the harder they insistent on trying to make a caricature of themselves :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12725 on: September 22, 2017, 09:38:24 am »

While I wouldn't rely overly on the idea of a Republican having principles, Murkowski seems like the type that won't go along with a carrot and stick act, having already developed bad blood with Trump over "I can help Alaska, but you know, I can also show Alaska the consequences of electing you if you don't help the party".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12726 on: September 22, 2017, 09:55:16 am »

This is completely consistent with what they've been doing for a while though. I remember back to when they had the dramatic floor vote. They had Pence come in and try to work people over. I remember reading that Pence agreed with some senators that the bill sucked, but that it was important to pass anyway. There's no economic reason to pass this bill, and with this latest bill even the insurers have come out against it, joining patient advocate groups and hospital lobbyists in opposing the new effort, which is notable because insurers have been quite for this entire process so far. But the Republican insistence on passing this bill can't be explained by the simple goto answer of "lobbying", or "ideology." No, something far more fundamental is moving this. I mean hell, I don't quite understand the drive here myself, but clearly whatever is driving them is a force to be respected, since it's making them ignore every other part of political life. The single-mindedness of it is unnerving.

They only really agree on one thing, and that is the necessity to passing something called Obamacare repeal. Trump knows this too. Back when that bipartisan healthcare group was still influential, they presented their work to Trump and he asked: "Can I call it Repeal and Replace?" For this specific situation, he's a lot more honest than the rest of them. That's why they are hiding the details and preventing the CBO from rating it in time: why would you ever do that unless you valued passing any bill over passing a good bill?  That's why they're so comfortable giving exceptions and such. It doesn't really matter, what matters is someone unfurling a " Healthcare Mission Accomplished" banner.

Again, if they could possibly get away with a bill that they could call Repeal&Replace just makes Obamacare slightly more conservative and changes nothing, I bet they would. Sadly I think most of them are... I don't know if it's a lack of self-awareness or too much self-awareness. I'm really surprised by that part though, but maybe it's just because no one has made a legitimate healthcare reform bill that they can pass off as Repeal&Replace yet. But that Trump quote shows that I believe they really would support it, too.

If you don't believe me, behold this article, helpfully titled 'The substance really doesn’t matter’.
Quote from: A section from that article
Like earlier, failed plans, the Graham-Cassidy measure would allow states to dismantle rules that prevent older, sicker people from being charged higher insurance premiums. It would cap the federal outlay for traditional Medicaid, which could jeopardize coverage for the most vulnerable. And it would almost certainly lead to millions more Americans lacking insurance, health care policy experts say. “It has all of the worst elements of the House bill that was passed in May and the Senate bill that was defeated in August,” said John Baackes, CEO of L.A. Care Health Plan.

But none of that may matter to Republican senators facing extreme pressure to finally pass something — anything — that scraps the health law and fulfills seven years of campaign promises.

Yet with little more than a week until the witching hour, the effort is still uphill. Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Rand Paul (R-Ky.) are widely expected to vote against the bill, meaning Republicans can’t afford to lose a single additional vote. Even if the measure clears the Senate, the House would then need to pass the package without making any changes to it — a highly uncertain prospect. But the fact that the bill remains alive — with Senate leaders and the White House scrambling to secure 50 votes for a vote next week — speaks to how desperate Republicans are to scrap Obamacare and notch a legislative victory.

Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), chairman of the Judiciary Committee, crystallized the conflict in unusually candid comments on Wednesday. "You know, I could maybe give you 10 reasons why this bill shouldn't be considered," Grassley told reporters. "But Republicans campaigned on this so often that you have a responsibility to carry out what you said in the campaign. That's pretty much as much of a reason as the substance of the bill."
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #12727 on: September 22, 2017, 10:00:59 am »

I dunno how reliable this site is, but this pretty much sums things up.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12728 on: September 22, 2017, 10:14:25 am »

My sympathies for anyone living in the USA and needing healthcare.

The most shocking part though is that the Republicans and the president still enjoy considerable support. I am honestly baffled. How can you love the wolf so much even as it is biting you in the throat..

I think this picture pretty much says it all. I am not angry, I'm just very sad.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12729 on: September 22, 2017, 10:36:04 am »

Like far too many copies and modifications of that comic, that's missing the last panel where he melts.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12730 on: September 22, 2017, 10:41:36 am »

It's 6 panels and the joke is entirely encapsulated in the first two, can't blame the meme version for trimming.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12731 on: September 22, 2017, 10:48:14 am »

Like far too many copies and modifications of that comic, that's missing the last panel where he melts.

His face may melt, but his made-in-china trump hat remains strong.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12732 on: September 22, 2017, 11:05:05 am »

But the Republican insistence on passing this bill can't be explained by the simple goto answer of "lobbying", or "ideology." No, something far more fundamental is moving this. I mean hell, I don't quite understand the drive here myself, but clearly whatever is driving them is a force to be respected, since it's making them ignore every other part of political life. The single-mindedness of it is unnerving.

Oh, it's lobbying, but in a more fundamental sense than we're used to: a lot of big-ticket Republican donors have promised not to give any more money until Obamacare is repealed and replaced.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12733 on: September 22, 2017, 12:18:36 pm »

Could this see the collapse of the party if they don't succeed?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12734 on: September 22, 2017, 01:08:56 pm »

Party has already collapsed. They're just so good at denying reality that they're still managing to maintain themselves.
Pages: 1 ... 847 848 [849] 850 851 ... 3566