Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 795 796 [797] 798 799 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4160078 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #11940 on: August 29, 2017, 03:57:12 pm »

'Epic' is not a word that I think a president should use during a speech.

Still, I have to admit, it could have been worse. This was Trump's best attempt at being encouraging and supportive, and it didn't devolve into in mindless self-centered bullshit. It started with mindless self-centered bullshit, and managed to become inappropriately optimistic and quasi supportive from there.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11941 on: August 29, 2017, 04:10:24 pm »

Nothing wrong with trying to stay positive, even if it's a little on the "what drugs are you on?" side with the rhetoric.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11942 on: August 29, 2017, 04:12:19 pm »

That might be true if the positivity wasn't sourced in "you may have lost your homes, your valuables, and your children, but at least you've still got me, your President".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11943 on: August 29, 2017, 04:23:59 pm »

True that, and as Ari Fleischer remarked, Trump hasn't really shown much empathy yet, at least not in a way that wouldn't appear detached.

Also, Trump has yet to respond (or otherwise accept) Mexico's offer to help with relief. Not sure what Trumps bases' (EXCLUDING the racists, neonazis, KKK, etc) opinion is on Mexico offering aid, but I'm sure they'd appreciate any sort of aid in the disaster.

So, we'll have to wait and see how it all compounds out.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11944 on: August 29, 2017, 04:47:08 pm »

Also, Trump has yet to respond (or otherwise accept) Mexico's offer to help with relief. Not sure what Trumps bases' (EXCLUDING the racists, neonazis, KKK, etc) opinion is on Mexico offering aid, but I'm sure they'd appreciate any sort of aid in the disaster.

Mexico has plenty of money for Harvey, but still refuses to pay for the wall!  Worst trade deal, perhaps ever in history!  Sad!
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11945 on: August 29, 2017, 07:32:16 pm »

Catholic Sean Spicer finally got his meeting with the Pope, after being snubbed by Trump during Francis' visit to DC. He's a devout Catholic so I'm sure he's happy about it. Borderline irrelevant I know, but a break from stormpol is nice.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11946 on: August 29, 2017, 08:32:52 pm »

I actually saw that twittering earlier with the guy half-jokingly suggesting that "sure enough Trump will find some way to bring up crowd size at an evacuation shelter" and everyone is like "dude, don't do the thing... come on man, stop" and BAM he did the thing!

https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/status/902596087432830976

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11947 on: August 29, 2017, 09:57:03 pm »

Catholic Sean Spicer finally got his meeting with the Pope, after being snubbed by Trump during Francis' visit to DC. He's a devout Catholic so I'm sure he's happy about it. Borderline irrelevant I know, but a break from stormpol is nice.
For what it's worth, there's pictures and spicer looked pretty happy about the meeting. Might even be in the article but I'm way to gorram tired to deal with a news site right now.

I'unno if I'd say he deserves it considering he got himself into what mess he's been in the last while, but it's something approaching the sentiment.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11949 on: August 29, 2017, 10:58:43 pm »

God Damn, Mad Dog, I was raised on stories of you being an honorable badass. I am so fucking glad to see you live up to the reputation. 
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11950 on: August 29, 2017, 11:05:44 pm »

On balance, he's not directly contravening Trump's orders (Trump delegated deciding to him), and Mattis also put in place the initial pause on integrating trans personnel back in January (to end in July, thus Trump's tweet-orders).

But Mattis' statement indicates he'll recommend allowing or baring trans personnel based on the results of the study, and other legit studies say the impact is meaninglessly small, so if he's as good as his word then it won't lead to a ban. Unless Trump doesn't care and orders it done anyway, which is...yeah...likely.

Also, rumors abound that Trump's whole involvement with this was to draw in some Republican Congressthralls on funding THE WALL? It is the kind of thing they'd choose for their pound of flesh, I have to admit.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:15:43 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11951 on: August 29, 2017, 11:16:12 pm »

On balance, he's not directly contravening Trump's orders (Trump delegated deciding to him), and Mattis also put in place the initial pause on integrating trans personnel back in January (to end in July, thus Trump's tweet-orders).

But Mattis' statement indicates he'll allow or bar trans personnel based on the results of the study, and other legit studies say the impact is meaninglessly small, so if he's as good as his word then it won't lead to a ban.

Also, rumors abound that Trump's whole involvement with this was to draw in some Republican Congressthralls on funding THE WALL? It is the kind of thing they'd choose for their pound of flesh, I have to admit.

Honestly, I don't know if Mattis' actions will change that much. Even when the panel agrees that the impact is too minor to be significant, it doesn't allow him to say 'no' to the commander in chief. It just allows him to say 'based on all evidence available, this order is meaningless drivel regurgitated from the mouths of mewling cowards who would humiliate themselves before serving their country in the field'. Sadly, Trump can still say that he's cool with that and, iirc, Mattis either has to resign or comply.

I think Mattis is the kind of man who would stay, not because he doesn't balk at the stupid, but because it still allows him some measure of control.

Of course, I'm a bit biased on the issue.
---

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11952 on: August 29, 2017, 11:38:33 pm »

I wonder: is it possible that he could simply ask for study after study and wait out the current administration?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11953 on: August 29, 2017, 11:47:54 pm »

Is it wrong that that sounds like an improvement at this point?
Funding studies, if only to delay, might at least leave us with more useful data.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11954 on: August 29, 2017, 11:51:44 pm »

Theres already useful data from other countries that have transgender troops. I'm sure people will go "Oh, but their training standards are different!", but Israel has transgender troops and I'd dare a Congressperson to call them weak just because they have transgender troops.
Pages: 1 ... 795 796 [797] 798 799 ... 3563