Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 770 771 [772] 773 774 ... 3564

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4166310 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #11565 on: August 24, 2017, 02:30:07 am »

Just once, I think it would be worth it to go to one of these rallies carrying a big placard that says:

POES LAW:
THE STRUGGLE IS REAL!

Just to see which side makes the most fuss about it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11566 on: August 24, 2017, 03:11:00 am »

Not sure either, he's sort of the conservative boogeyman in the same way the Koch brothers are for liberals I think. He's also badly disliked in Hungary.

There's an anti-semitic element to it, while on FOX News, Glen Beck ran a series of exposes on Soros with his face super-imposed on the Star of David.

In terms of politics, Soros' main contribution was in backing pro-democracy groups overthrowing Soviet communist regimes in Eastern Europe. This is characterized in the anti-Soros literature as that he overthrows governments. They leave out that the governments he overthrew were all evil dictatorships. As for the Hungarians, they have a far-right government who are at odds with Soros' continued support of pro-democracy / pro-liberalism international organizations. He's a good scapegoat for their political problems now.

The other big claim is that he "broke" the bank of England. The real story was that the British pound was massively overvalued, but was being propped up for political reasons. Soros realized there was going to be a big devaluation, so he did short-selling (that's where you promise to sell a commodity in the future when you don't have it). After the devaluation, then the sales came due, and he then bought British pounds at the deflated price and sold them to the other investors. So ... he cannot have caused the devaluation, because all of his actual trading occured after the event.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 03:16:43 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11567 on: August 24, 2017, 03:14:28 am »

On the subject of BLM can someone get the validity of this article?

https://www.leoweekly.com/2017/08/white-people/

It is rather racist... so it is possible this was created to besmirch BLM and make them seem like bigots who don't know what they are talking about.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 03:17:01 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11568 on: August 24, 2017, 03:17:22 am »

Poe's law, bro. Have you seen some of the fringe elements of BLM?

EDIT: but you can usually take a look at the front page of the website to see if it's a satire site or something. The list is mentioned in other places however so it appears legitimate.

In another article, the same organizer mentions Obama's phrase "redistributive change" a lot. And the list implies a zero-sum-game view of society where just giving lump-sum blocks of stuff to poor people is supposed to solve all the problems. e.g. whites have more "stuff" so give some of the "stuff" to black people, now it's equal. It doesn't work like that. What differs is opportunity to earn a living, and the list doesn't address any of that. If it was that simple then winning lotteries would solve all poor people's problems, but it almost never does.

White people, if you’re inheriting property you intend to sell upon acceptance, give it to a black or brown family. You’re bound to make that money in some other white privileged way.

Uhh, some privileged way such as having an actual job or something? How white of you.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 03:32:52 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11569 on: August 24, 2017, 03:18:28 am »

Poe's law, bro. Have you seen some of the fringe elements of BLM?

No no no, this is from a Leader. Not any of the fringe elements.

There is none of this blaming the peons, this is from the top.

Hence why I wanted to know if it is valid or not.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 03:27:35 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11570 on: August 24, 2017, 03:46:30 am »

You capitalize "Leader" as if it means something. She's a local organizer in Louiseville, Kentucky. It's not like BLM has a very centralized heirarchy or organization. Do they have organized chapters and voting on delegates? They don't. Anyone can jump up and the loudest one becomes the face of the organization.

It's already a fragmented and fairly fringe organization, so it's no surprise that some of the nutty fringe elements become "Leaders" in various local BLM "chapters" which they probably started themselves.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 03:52:19 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11571 on: August 24, 2017, 03:57:49 am »

Thanks Reelya!

You capitalize "Leader" as if it means something

I tend to capitalize a lot of things I shouldn't. It seems that I capitalize labels and titles. Here is a recent example:

And even if he was a Troll, hypothetically. His actions should NOT have elicited this kind of response. You are "Victim Blaming" essentially

Troll, NOT, Victim Blaming
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 04:03:40 am by Neonivek »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11572 on: August 24, 2017, 04:02:54 am »

I'll put my money where my mouth is and offer an open bet to anyone in this thread who wants to take me up on this.

100 of my British pounds says the US will not implode into a civil war before the trump presidency is over.
the way the pound is going... no thanks
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11573 on: August 24, 2017, 04:52:31 am »

The best part is: If there is a civil war after all, the British pound will be worth jack shit :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11574 on: August 24, 2017, 05:02:13 am »

If the US is considering dissolving over something this menial then by all means it should dissolve as it has no will to live.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11575 on: August 24, 2017, 05:04:19 am »

If the US is considering dissolving over something this menial then by all means it should dissolve as it has no will to live.

Honestly as BAD as things seem... Well this is my opinion: Things are getting better.

Everything that is happening now isn't new it is just the tension being brought to the surface. Yet in an ODD twist, people are becoming less polarized over time... Just more vocally Polarized.

Of course my assessment could be wrong. Perhaps the crazies have finally started to run the asylum.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11576 on: August 24, 2017, 05:22:19 am »

The crazies have run the asylum for years. It just wasn't popular to discuss it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11577 on: August 24, 2017, 05:24:09 am »

The crazies have run the asylum for years. It just wasn't popular to discuss it.

True... One of my FAVORITE groups of all time have been basically run through the mud and need to constantly do damage control for the crazies... and thus the crazies basically own them because they are too busy accommodating, defending, and running damage control for them. The crazies have managed to climb to the top of the ladder into leadership positions or prominent positions in society (not conspiracy).

Yet when I check WHEN the crazies officially started to run that group... The general consensus was before the 2000s (1970s-1990s) but you can find even earlier dates of the crazies within actively harassing their own members on mass.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 05:31:37 am by Neonivek »

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11578 on: August 24, 2017, 05:31:12 am »

I'm pretty sure the next civil war is an American obsession. I've been hearing how it's just around the corner for about as long as I've paid attention to American politics.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11579 on: August 24, 2017, 07:33:20 am »

Oh I have no doubt that there won't be a civil war in the US, but I consider that a bad thing.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.
Pages: 1 ... 770 771 [772] 773 774 ... 3564