Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3562 3563 [3564]

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4163147 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #53445 on: Today at 08:22:17 am »

The US government has decided to ban the sale of foreign 'smart cars' using technology from 'countries of concern', like China and Russia.
Specifically, cars using technology that connects them to other devices, like the internet or other cars, will be banned.

The ban will come into effect for software in cars produced from 2027 onwards, and for cars as a whole starting 2030.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53446 on: Today at 08:44:04 am »

As a consumer I don't want that tech from any source. Did nobody learn the lessons about not networking all your transportation tech together from that great historical document Battlestar Galactica?

OTA updates are terrible anyway; they created about a dozen new problems for the one problem they solved.

Comms channels that allow remote operation of a personal vehicle are also anathema.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #53447 on: Today at 08:57:07 am »

The US government has decided to ban the sale of foreign 'smart cars' using technology from 'countries of concern', like China and Russia.
Specifically, cars using technology that connects them to other devices, like the internet or other cars, will be banned.

The ban will come into effect for software in cars produced from 2027 onwards, and for cars as a whole starting 2030.

This is about 50% protectionism (the US automakers are terrified of what cheap Chinese EVs could do to the market, even with the cost of retooling the designs to meet US safety regulations) and 50% legitimate concern. There is very solid evidence that China has been using tech of this sort for both political and industrial espionage (it is apparently common for industries that do business in China to use only cheap disposable electronics when visiting the country, physically shredding them upon leaving), and telling somebody in sensitive positions that they can't have *or ever be in* specific brands of car is far more difficult and intrusive than "you have to use these verified safe brands of electronics".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 3562 3563 [3564]