Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 768 769 [770] 771 772 ... 3564

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4166336 times)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #11535 on: August 23, 2017, 10:57:37 pm »

oh hey you were talking about the charlottesville kid, the guy who saluted the statue.

Video.

He literally did nothing wrong, showed up and saluted the statue, was very respectful, didn't engage with anyone. When police asked him to leave, he did. A gaggle of people showed up around him and started screaming because expecting fucking thought from these people is too much of course.

Every day I semi-seriously ask myself if the good guys won WW2, and some day these morons are going to convince me that the answer is "no."

In case you haven't noticed, I'm a bit angry.

EDIT: America today is so fucking psychotic that someone drove into a vigil honoring someone shot after fucking STABBING a cop. Why did they drive into the crowd? Why was the vigil there in the first place, when it was obviously justified? Who the fuck cares, right?

I'm tired of this slow-burn shit, can we just have the civil war and get it over with.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 11:04:02 pm by Playergamer »
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11536 on: August 23, 2017, 11:04:33 pm »

I don't care whether you think the good guys won WWII, but I really hope that you'll always continue to think that some of the bad guys lost.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11537 on: August 23, 2017, 11:13:23 pm »

After seeing it, I have the opinion the dude was doing it to intentionally provoke a response... and he got one. A vulgar and disgusting one worse than anything he did on his own. Still, that's what he probably wanted, given the smirk you see several times. I don't really have any respect for him. If anything more that he's willing to go that far to be a troll about the whole thing than anything else. But the people "protesting him" were just inhuman about the whole thing. I have absolutely no respect there at all.

Whatever it is they want I want to deny them of that, simply because of how they're acting, even if it means keeping up statues that I don't even agree with. It's illogical, I know, but that's the feeling I come away from it with. Giving any sort of "win" to them under these circumstances would only reinforce that behavior which I can't condone.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11538 on: August 23, 2017, 11:22:03 pm »

After seeing it, I have the opinion the dude was doing it to intentionally provoke a response... and he got one. A vulgar and disgusting one worse than anything he did on his own. Still, that's what he probably wanted, given the smirk you see several times. I don't really have any respect for him. If anything more that he's willing to go that far to be a troll about the whole thing than anything else. But the people "protesting him" were just inhuman about the whole thing. I have absolutely no respect there at all.

Whatever it is they want I want to deny them of that, simply because of how they're acting, even if it means keeping up statues that I don't even agree with. It's illogical, I know, but that's the feeling I come away from it with. Giving any sort of "win" to them under these circumstances would only reinforce that behavior which I can't condone.

So, the guy was being an IRL troll?

I'm tired of this slow-burn shit, can we just have the civil war and get it over with.

Over what exactly? Memes? I hear ya though, this year has just been crazy. NK even came off as saying "Act normal!" in their rebuke to Trump tweeting, or maybe the rally, though it was their usual rhetoric.

Anyhoo, if anybody missed it last night, Trump is threatening a government shutdown over the wall, it's probably just rhetoric, but I think he might be attempting to use the debt ceiling deadline as leverage. Although Paul Ryan has said that they'll probably do a continuing resolution because they don't have enough worktime in their schedule available to work on the budget appropriation next month. So, if Trump really is attempting to use that tactic, it might not work.

I just hope that they have enough time to work on increasing the debt ceiling :P

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11539 on: August 23, 2017, 11:22:47 pm »

We already did. It ran from 1861 to 1865. Did you miss it?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11540 on: August 23, 2017, 11:29:51 pm »

We did.  Now we just need the losers to give up the ghost.

If Lincoln hadn't been assassinated this wouldn't be a problem.  Every city official who tried to glamorize the confederacy, would get a lovingly written and signed letter saying "you lost shitlords, get over it ~Abe."  Even after his presumably natural death.

Edit:  What always makes me lol about the civil war rhetoric is the implication white nationalists would have a side.  Like the alt righters wanking off to the idea of a race war.  News flash: yeah all people of color would support antifa because they don't want to die.  That doesn't mean most white people would fight alongside the likes of neonazis and the KKK.  You think the South would march to war when they know full well nothing is at stake for them?  Its not like dems would be the aggressors in this hypothetical civil war.  Back in yhe 1800s staying in the union would cost money because of abolition, now staying is a net economic benefit.  Like its one thing to be angry, angry doesn't make ordinary people pick up guns and join the revolution.  People do that because they thinj its an imperative, that the cost of letting whatever it is happen to them outweighs leaving shelter and comfort and safety behind.  You think the "forgotten man" on the street is more afraid of status quo than they are of death?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 11:43:20 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11541 on: August 23, 2017, 11:32:27 pm »

Anyhoo, if anybody missed it last night, Trump is threatening a government shutdown over the wall, it's probably just rhetoric, but I think he might be attempting to use the debt ceiling deadline as leverage. Although Paul Ryan has said that they'll probably do a continuing resolution because they don't have enough worktime in their schedule available to work on the budget appropriation next month. So, if Trump really is attempting to use that tactic, it might not work.

I just hope that they have enough time to work on increasing the debt ceiling :P

This is how the country ends
This is how the country ends
Not with a bang
But with a wall
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11542 on: August 23, 2017, 11:33:35 pm »

If Lincoln hadn't been assassinated this wouldn't be a problem.  Every city official who tried to glamorize the confederacy, would get a lovingly written and signed letter saying "you lost shitlords, get over it ~Abe."  Even after his presumably natural death.
I'm willing to put my ebux on a second civil war within the next eight years, probably much sooner too. Good thing, too, once that's over we can finally be done with all the fucking morons on both sides.

I'm pretty sure all of this crap is the prelude, and both sides are so fucking infuriating.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11543 on: August 23, 2017, 11:37:45 pm »

I'm willing to put my ebux on a second civil war within the next eight years, probably much sooner too. Good thing, too, once that's over we can finally be done with all the fucking morons on both sides.

I'm pretty sure all of this crap is the prelude, and both sides are so fucking infuriating.

Again, over what, just from pure stress? I think it was worse than this during the 60's and a civil war didn't erupt then.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11544 on: August 23, 2017, 11:55:53 pm »

Again, over what, just from pure stress? I think it was worse than this during the 60's and a civil war didn't erupt then.

It's really hard to see how someone could distill unproductive resentment or delusions of grandeur* into a casus belli, isn't it? Just imagine getting the heads of all these little tiny violent extremist factions together, each with a thousand-page manifesto/hit list, and trying to get them to agree on what to do and where without the government finding out about it. There just aren't enough maniacs running in the same direction to make a war tenable. 

Riots, maybe, but not a war.

*Just to be clear, that doesn't cover everyone on both sides. I'm referring specifically to the ones willing to premeditate violence about it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 11:57:33 pm by Trekkin »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11545 on: August 24, 2017, 12:08:56 am »

He got yelled at. Is that really a "inhuman" thing to do? Imagine if someone had decided to really calmy and respectfully stand to attention with a ISIS flag two weeks after the boston bombing that he would have gotten away with just being shouted at?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11546 on: August 24, 2017, 12:22:42 am »

In some way, it's a testament to how peaceful our societies have become that some shouting is considered the beginning of a civil war.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11547 on: August 24, 2017, 12:25:38 am »

In some way, it's a testament to how peaceful our societies have become that some shouting is considered the beginning of a civil war.

Well, that depends on how much wishful thinking you want to read into his posts. I've yet to see someone who doesn't want millions of people to die because they annoy him claim that war is imminent or inevitable.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11548 on: August 24, 2017, 12:30:00 am »

I'll put my money where my mouth is and offer an open bet to anyone in this thread who wants to take me up on this.

100 of my British pounds says the US will not implode into a civil war before the trump presidency is over.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11549 on: August 24, 2017, 12:31:08 am »

ow, the edge
I consume
I purchase
I consume again