Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 750 751 [752] 753 754 ... 3564

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4169314 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #11265 on: August 20, 2017, 04:18:57 pm »

I dunno, sounds pretty Scottish to me!
Sounds good, but no, I don't think Woking is in Scotland.

Also added an extra c out of habit, should be McLaren.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11266 on: August 20, 2017, 04:44:43 pm »

I love the double think of a country built on states seceding from another country forbidding states from seceding from their own. "God gave us the right to rebel, but not the right to rebel against us!"

The alternative thinking I came up with is that the South had every right to succeed if they so desired, but didn't have a right to succeed in order to avoid their responsibilities or dodge consequences.

While America succeeded from the British because they basically left America to languish while taxing them to high heavens... Or rather because Britain succeeded their responsibilities towards their colony and so America, in response, succeeded from them.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 04:49:16 pm by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11267 on: August 20, 2017, 04:51:33 pm »

It's secceeded. Not sure if it's autocorrect hitting you there.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11268 on: August 20, 2017, 05:11:14 pm »

It's secceeded. Not sure if it's autocorrect hitting you there.

No... in this case it is because I spelt it phonetically like a dummy.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11269 on: August 20, 2017, 06:23:10 pm »

It's also pronounced differently from succeed afaik.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11270 on: August 20, 2017, 07:39:42 pm »

the sort of legal positivism that makes people invoke internet rules.
Thank you for fucking knowing what this is*.  [...]

*Unless we're talking about totally different things, in which case I will retract my thank you in embarrassment
Huh? I was talking about Godwin...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11271 on: August 20, 2017, 07:45:23 pm »

...and now rule 64 of Godwin is a thing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11272 on: August 20, 2017, 07:56:53 pm »

It's also pronounced differently from succeed afaik.

A lot of people pronounce it as suhs sEd, Instead of sehs sEd

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11273 on: August 20, 2017, 08:02:24 pm »

Just a case of english being wierd then.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11274 on: August 20, 2017, 08:18:07 pm »

(But does anyone pronounce "succeed" not with the "k" in "suk sEd", regardless of vowel shifts, differing inflections, alternate emphases? Probably, I suppose. They already murder "schedule" for a half-legitimate reason, so...)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11275 on: August 21, 2017, 12:20:55 am »

I love the double think of a country built on states seceding from another country forbidding states from seceding from their own. "God gave us the right to rebel, but not the right to rebel against us!"

Or, alternatively, "Do you want the Critical Period again? Because this is how we get the Critical Period again." America had seven years of its federal government being essentially optional, and it sucked so much that the Federalists resorted to shenanigans of questionable legality to replace the Articles of Confederation as rapidly as possible with something that established an actual government.

Even if you're willing to pretend that the secession crisis was not about slavery, letting the slave states go uncontested was never an option. The precedent it would have established would have made the federal government optional again; if states could leave whenever they wanted, then they would essentially have veto power anyway. America tried that once and nearly fell apart. It's not doublethink to not want to try that again.

JohnnyYuma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11276 on: August 21, 2017, 02:00:25 am »

There are many things wrong with America since FDR's devastating New Deal: minimum wage, terrible labor laws, income tax, VAT, social security regulated by the state, and newer abominations like Obamacare. Trump does not address most of them: he is anti-Obamacare, but will not get rid of income tax altogether, he just wants to lower it. Good enough, but that's not really a revolutionary change. In most aspects he is the same as his predecessors for decades, more government, more spending, more national debt. The only thing in which he is different is being anti climate change, which might just doom our planet.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11277 on: August 21, 2017, 02:06:44 am »

I've never seen a more apt case of the escaped lunatic title.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11278 on: August 21, 2017, 02:09:36 am »

Even if you're willing to pretend that the secession crisis was not about slavery

It wasn't JUST about Slavery. You can even see it in their speeches about slavery the other little tidbits and issues that popped up.

Though it was more about Slavery for the South than it was for the North according to one teacher (and another pessimist suggests the North's aversion to Slavery had more to do with the fact that they had no benefit for it... But that person also is a rather "True Altruism doesn't exist") I had.

Though... I do wonder if the Civil war would have happened even without Slavery being on the docket, or if it just was the catalyst that brought it about sooner.

I've never seen a more apt case of the escaped lunatic title.

Whoa whoa, a lot of people don't like those things. Lets just address them before we call people crazy :P

will not get rid of income tax altogether

The herculean task of removing 30% of the US' tax revenue? (well probably not THAT much.) I am not sure where they are going to trim the fat especially since Trump wants to build the prohibitively expensive Wall, Restart NASA, and increase military spending.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 02:12:00 am by Neonivek »

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #11279 on: August 21, 2017, 02:19:04 am »

Even if you're willing to pretend that the secession crisis was not about slavery

There were many other issues there, but the most important was probably protectionism favored by the northern states. South couldn't really replace slaves and keep the same level of production without modern machines and tools, and those were available quite cheaply in the UK, while contemporary American ones were of worse quality and more expensive. Forcing Southerners to buy only American machines, tools, and necessary equipment in general, hampered the economic development of the South and possibly prolonged slavery there.

Nothing can justify slavery, but the North didn't exactly help get rid of it.
Pages: 1 ... 750 751 [752] 753 754 ... 3564