Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 656 657 [658] 659 660 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4246122 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: The Russian shoe deepens
« Reply #9855 on: August 01, 2017, 07:03:42 pm »

A lot of these riots? There is no bully.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Who is your bully? What is his name? What did he do? How did he do it?

I'm only aware of two sources of riots in recent times -- in response to minority killings by police and at major political events.

On minority killings by police -- does this really need explanation? 
On major political events -- the bullying is political repression of interests that are counter to establishments of power, and usually in connection with those establishments of power forcing externalities onto disempowered demographics and communities.

Naw, I mean more that if you read what the Rioters want... It typically isn't anything that will fix the problem. Often it is just token responses that will make them feel better such as firing a police chief who, so far, has an unsubstantiated link to the crime... Or just firing the mayor.

That's a completely different issue from your question

Or they create a much bigger problem then the single event. One cannot blame ALL problems on a single thing. If someone spits gum onto the sidewalk you cannot create a riot where you blame him for all street trash.

Completely lost me here.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:06:02 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9856 on: August 01, 2017, 07:04:54 pm »

I seem to be parsing that as neo complaining about riots about, say, police activity, for the participants not marching up and burning down the police station(s) rather than other stuff. Or the city hall or somethin'.

That might be salmongod's parsing? It's also possible that neonivek and salmongod are misinterpreting each other a bit.

I get the point about tension and breaking point behind riots, riots are rarely preplanned (though I guess you'd call a preplanned riot a rebellion).

@salmongod: I think everybody is in agreement here with the riots caused by minority killings by police.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:06:33 pm by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9857 on: August 01, 2017, 07:06:59 pm »

Nah, a preplanned riot is just kinda' a preplanned riot, far as I'm aware. Rebellion takes more taking over as opposed to breaking shit someone that can fix things cares about until they get off their ass for things they don't.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9858 on: August 01, 2017, 07:08:28 pm »

A lot of these riots? There is no bully.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Who is your bully? What is his name? What did he do? How did he do it?

I'm only aware of two sources of riots in recent times -- in response to minority killings by police and at major political events.

On minority killings by police -- does this really need explanation? 
On major political events -- the bullying is political repression of interests that are counter to establishments of power, and usually in connection with those establishments of power forcing externalities onto disempowered demographics and communities.

Naw, I mean more that if you read what the Rioters want... It typically isn't anything that will fix the problem. Often it is just token responses that will make them feel better such as firing a police chief who, so far, has an unsubstantiated link to the crime... Or just firing the mayor.

That's a completely different issue from your question

Or they create a much bigger problem then the single event. One cannot blame ALL problems on a single thing. If someone spits gum onto the sidewalk you cannot create a riot where you blame him for all street trash.

Completely lost me here.

Yeah, there's definetly some misunderstanding/misinterpreting going on here. Not sure on what specific though.

edit: I think the last one might be attacking the oversimplified 'blame it on the liberals/conservatives!' type of blame. Which tends to happen when things are politically charged.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:11:22 pm by smjjames »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9859 on: August 01, 2017, 07:11:26 pm »

Edit: Ok I cut down what I said here... because I feel like my longer post isn't helpful.

I think everybody is in agreement here with the riots caused by minority killings by police

I am not actually. I find these to be highly unhelpful, are vigilantism, and in rare cases cause MORE deaths than the actual event.

A proper response needs to KNOW what to do, it needs to respect rule of law, and it needs to be measured... it also needs to be directed at the right people.

I don't believe in Riots. I do believe that riots are just a natural result of tension, but acceptance isn't the same as saying it is acceptable.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:13:36 pm by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9860 on: August 01, 2017, 07:13:02 pm »

Edit: Ok I cut down what I said here... because I feel like my longer post isn't helpful.

I think everybody is in agreement here with the riots caused by minority killings by police

I am not actually. I find these to be highly unhelpful, are vigilantism, and in rare cases cause MORE deaths than the actual event.

A proper response needs to KNOW what to do, it needs to respect rule of law, and it needs to be measured.

I don't believe in Riots. I do believe that riots are just a natural result of tension, but acceptance isn't the same as saying it is acceptable.

I meant agreement on the cause of the riots. I'm not for rioting either, it just screws things for everybody, both the rioters and everybody else.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9861 on: August 01, 2017, 07:16:04 pm »

in rare cases cause MORE deaths than the actual event.

Keeping in mind that this discussion is in dispute over the narrative that has been building up around leftism RECENTLY, so I am only thinking in terms of RECENT events here.

I have to ask again

... what?????
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9862 on: August 01, 2017, 07:18:11 pm »

Keeping in mind that this discussion is in dispute over the narrative that has been building up around leftism RECENTLY, so I am only thinking in terms of RECENT events here.

I have to ask again

... what?????

Might be in the context of past riots years to decades ago, since neo has mentioned those rather than more recent ones.

edit: Wait, are we restricting it to America, or any riot around the world? Because Venezuela.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:20:48 pm by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9863 on: August 01, 2017, 07:21:38 pm »

... probably america, considering the thread and current topic.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9864 on: August 01, 2017, 07:22:52 pm »

I'm thinking mostly in terms of United States.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9865 on: August 01, 2017, 07:24:29 pm »

>_< well this is interesting info.

Apparently the riots against police shootings have had the opposite effect people wanted to.

not only did people do more crime after these riots, but the police (due to harassment) scaled back their outreach (improper term for what they meant) which means that more crimes occurred while the police were away.

Assuming this article is correct. It is quite interesting to be honest.

But let me see... Fergison Riots have lead to a few deaths. Though none during the actual riots, just in result of the riots.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9867 on: August 01, 2017, 07:27:56 pm »

I know salmongod meant the US, mostly I was wondering if neonivek was using stuff outside the US as he used one from Canada.

I'm likely a bit confused at neonivek as well.

Apparently the riots against police shootings have had the opposite effect people wanted to.

not only did people do more crime after these riots, but the police (due to harassment) scaled back their outreach which means that more crimes occurred while the police were away.

But let me see... Fergison Riots have lead to a few deaths. Though none during the actual riots, just in result of the riots.

Link to article? Also, I think there was one person who had a heart attack at one point, there was some guy who shot at protestors (did they ever catch that person?), and there was that completely unrelated bodt in a truck which was near the protests, but had nothing to do with the protests themselves.

edit: ninja'd on article request

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9868 on: August 01, 2017, 07:31:24 pm »

not only did people do more crime after these riots, but the police (due to harassment) scaled back their outreach (improper term for what they meant) which means that more crimes occurred while the police were away.

Ok.  Are you approaching this statement

from the assertion that the riots were sparked by a single event?  Because you do know there's a shitload more behind the Ferguson riots, and almost all similar, than the police killing a single person, right?
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9869 on: August 01, 2017, 07:34:48 pm »

from the assertion that the riots were sparked by a single event?  Because you do know there's a shitload more behind the Ferguson riots, and almost all similar, than the police killing a single person, right?

And in my magic hand I put in one police shooting, and pull out all the hate in the world.

But yeah it was sparked by a single event, but the tension was building for a very long time before that.

Because you do know there's a shitload more behind the Ferguson riots, and almost all similar, than the police killing a single person, right?

And what is the point here exactly?

I don't admonish riots. I don't admonish bad solutions to bad problems. I don't admonish bad measurements to bad situations. I don't admonish the disregard of criticism.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:37:34 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 656 657 [658] 659 660 ... 3569