Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4245877 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: The Russian shoe deepens
« Reply #9780 on: July 29, 2017, 04:40:35 pm »

You do realize the extent that the NK does their propoganda and brainwashing of citizens? Stockholm syndrome would be a closer analogy than 'a drink-the-kool-aid-type'. That'll be a longer term issue though.

The short-term fate would still be a concern though since you'd have the prospect of refugees fleeing the fighting (which is probably China's #1 fear over a NK collapse) and everything else associated from a war zone.

Yeah bad analogy, I guess. To be clear, I'd be concerned with them murdering as many of their own citizens as possible before we were able to take over, or convincing them to commit suicide. Though I do hear plenty of stories about how a lot of the populace is 100% aware of the fabricated nature of the state they live in.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9781 on: July 29, 2017, 04:41:36 pm »

Considering how bad a shape their infrastructure and food production is in i imagine that any kind of war would immediately trigger widespread starvation.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9782 on: July 29, 2017, 05:26:48 pm »

Considering how bad a shape their infrastructure and food production is in i imagine that any kind of war would immediately trigger widespread starvation.

Unless China props them up like they usually do. I think a lot will depend on how it's framed politically. China can't reasonably back someone who actually starts throwing nukes. But if the US fires first... even if it's non-nuclear... I'd expect China to back them... reluctantly and with plenty of conditions to remove that backing... but still North Korea has effectively been surviving a siege for 60 years. Give them more credit than that.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9783 on: July 29, 2017, 05:49:05 pm »

Its worth reminding ourselves (as I had to remind myself recently) that the only reason North Korea exists today is the PRC intervened last time. So there is, in fact, a precedent for them doing the exact same thing. And the North started the war the first time as well, so it's not impossible.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9784 on: July 29, 2017, 06:03:26 pm »

Its worth reminding ourselves (as I had to remind myself recently) that the only reason North Korea exists today is the PRC intervened last time. So there is, in fact, a precedent for them doing the exact same thing. And the North started the war the first time as well, so it's not impossible.

From what I've read, the Chinese went in when US/international forces got too close to the Chinese-Korean border. Also, I thought a great part of not militarily intervening during the Cold War is because Soviet Russia would get scared and attack as well.

I could see them joining in not as enemies, but as part of some sort of joint force should things go south. China REALLY doesn't want to get into a fight with the US because of how interconnected it is economically with the US.

Either way, a renewed hot war on the Korean penninsula would be a big mess.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 06:05:11 pm by smjjames »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9785 on: July 29, 2017, 06:16:41 pm »

China wants NK as a buffer state with Seoul and will most likely intervene if the US steps in.

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9786 on: July 29, 2017, 06:22:48 pm »

What form that intervention will take is kind of the question mark here because China isn't the same China of 60 years ago. Some things haven't changed, like the buffer zone thing, but there are other factors that would come into play that wouldn't have 60 years ago.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9787 on: July 29, 2017, 06:28:07 pm »

China is likely to engage in mirror response unless NK actually attacks American-aligned forces, as this is the mechanism China uses to constrain NK's actions.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9788 on: July 29, 2017, 07:45:18 pm »

The good thing is, all the Dem candidate in 2020 has to do is go, "Really? Do you REALLY want another four years of this?" They don't even have to have a platform.

Hopefully they don't run with the idea that they can get away with doing a shitty job, because the bar is set so low.

*sigh*... Come to think of it, I can see the populace begging "Please! we'll take your run-of-the-mill pro-corporate, militaristic, authoritarian establishment shill who throws a bone to social justice causes once in a while.  Anything but this shit!"
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 07:52:56 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9789 on: July 29, 2017, 08:08:53 pm »

I mean we barely didn't do that this time.
Shoes...

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9790 on: July 29, 2017, 11:32:39 pm »

Really all that is needed to beat Trump in 2020 is simple: remind people that he's the establishment now. They are living in Trump's America. There is no benefit of the doubt left to give the man, and all the shakeups we were promised aren't happening. I read one of Trump's recent speeches (a very bizarre one in Long Island, which forced the local police department to put out a statement clarifying that they do not condone of mistreatment of prisoners) where he has this curious description of coming in "like a movie" and "liberating towns" from gangs, "even here long island." That liberation being immigration services taking the immigrants away.  If you buy that, that sounds great, but if you actually live in a "liberated" town and it doesn't feel so damn liberated, it makes everything else he says look like hot air. At some point people will want to be able to see what Trump promised everyone.

If you do that they'll have the room to make a decent platform offering an alternative to what will be his various failures and how they would do better. 2018 will presumably be a dry run for that.

btw i'm really not joking, that's actually how he described it:
Quote from: NY Times: Trump, on Long Island, Vows an End to Gang Violence
At another point, Mr. Trump painted a cinematic portrait of freeing a shackled United States. “One by one, we’re liberating our American towns,” Mr. Trump said of the work to remove undocumented immigrants.

“Can you believe that I’m saying that? I’m talking about liberating our towns. Like you’d see in a movie,” Mr. Trump continued. “They’re liberating the town. Like in the old Wild West, right? We’re liberating our towns. I never thought I’d be standing up here talking about liberating towns on Long Island where I grew up. But that’s what you’re doing.”
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9791 on: July 30, 2017, 03:08:45 pm »

This is the same guy who told Dutuerte he's doing a "great job" with the drug problem. Comforting to know Generalisimo Donalde looks up to the guy who has killed over 2,000 people in the pursuit of justice.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9792 on: July 30, 2017, 03:18:01 pm »

While Trump did say he'd shake things up, he didn't really say how it'd happen or what such a shakeup would look like.

He may think that leaving positions unfilled counts as a 'shakeup', but that's not how you do it.

Also, he grew up in Queens (or was it the Bronx? maybe that's Schumer), not Long Island. Though I guess he might just be seeing Long Island as 'part of New York' or 'part of the locale that I grew up in'.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9793 on: July 30, 2017, 03:52:05 pm »

I had no idea illegal immigrants are holding up small towns and taking them over...

Why didn't any of you tell me this? :P

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9794 on: July 30, 2017, 04:12:42 pm »

Becauze ve haff nott ze vish off yuh zu varnink havven...

(I can't do mock Latin-American that well. Nor mock Germanic, probably, but I dredged up my best recollection of Victor/Eagle/Battle comic-book foreigner... That wasn't Gott In Himmel, Achtung Englischer Schweine, Nein! Donner Und Blitzen or Vee Vill Get You Und Ihre Spitfire, Yohnny Red!)

((For future readers, my intended meaning was that I don't trust myself to do a Latino 'impression', so I was aiming at portraying a German one, yet still missing. Not worth correcting those who have already read it as otherwise, in another post, but I'll leave this for the record, to illustrate my literate ineptitude in meaning-conveyance... Or else I just missed the sarcasm by others...  :P))
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 11:20:00 am by Starver »
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 3569