Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 625 626 [627] 628 629 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4243196 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: The Russian shoe deepens
« Reply #9390 on: July 23, 2017, 06:28:05 pm »

I defy anyone to name a single problem with capitalism that isn't neatly resolved by replacing humans with self-improving algorithms.
Purpose.

That is the inherent flaw from which all others come. It's a system built implicitly on the idea that 'a rising tide raises all boats,' but which has discovered that the water level can be made to rise by filling the boats with lead. The system was designed to do what we want by proxy, with the end result being a cargo cult constructed around that proxy.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9391 on: July 23, 2017, 06:30:27 pm »

? @ MSH

Anyhow, if you want a definition, have wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_capitalism

It's more of a somewhat nebulous historical period made up by neo-marxists than anything. Not that salmongod is neo-marxist or anything.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9392 on: July 23, 2017, 06:42:24 pm »

I defy anyone to name a single problem with capitalism that isn't neatly resolved by replacing humans with self-improving algorithms.
Purpose.

That is the inherent flaw from which all others come. It's a system built implicitly on the idea that 'a rising tide raises all boats,' but which has discovered that the water level can be made to rise by filling the boats with lead. The system was designed to do what we want by proxy, with the end result being a cargo cult constructed around that proxy.
Yeah I mean...  By definition capitalism encourages constructs which act purely in their own interest, bound only by various regulations.

Then people are surprised when these constructs don't act in the interests of employees, the public, or even the long term interest of shareholders.  They act to *appease* shareholders and gain capital, that is what they do and were always designed to do.

Then people say we should deregulate them.
Skynet is here, heh, it's running on wetware.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9393 on: July 23, 2017, 06:47:46 pm »

The malevolent biological supermind has been going strong ever since the first urbanism. This is not really new.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9394 on: July 23, 2017, 06:55:05 pm »

I think this is just dark humor?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9395 on: July 23, 2017, 06:57:31 pm »

No, we should just become pets for vicious selfish robots.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9396 on: July 23, 2017, 06:58:11 pm »

I think this is just dark humor?

Just wait until the robots working in the factories get self aware and self improving AI. heh.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9397 on: July 23, 2017, 07:05:13 pm »

The malevolent biological supermind has been going strong ever since the first urbanism. This is not really new.
Super organism theory? that's so mid 20th century.

We have just reached the stage where everyone is realizing that the system is rigged against them by those with power. not that it wasn't before but its more obvious now.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9398 on: July 23, 2017, 07:08:36 pm »

Skynet is here, heh, it's running on wetware.

Not for looooong!  The clamor for UBI reveals that those with their eye on the future know deep down, even if they can't or won't articulate it, that the hyperfast, hyperrational economy of the future has no room for biological humanity except as a drain on resources.  UBI = Human Extinction

Those with power won't be spared.  If you don't have a job you're a waste of resources, if you do you're a bottleneck.  Either way the robots aren't going to put up with you for long.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9399 on: July 23, 2017, 07:18:32 pm »

That cannot be so, for the system will be set up to serve human beings of moral character as a primary goal. As such, most of humanity will be exterminated with the exception of Peter Thiel's severed genitalia, who as the pinnacle of human achievement will be made immortal and offered all the world's resources for use.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 07:20:04 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9400 on: July 23, 2017, 07:51:20 pm »

Peter Thiel is the guy from 30 Days of Night who let the vampires in and then was the only one surprised when they didn't actually turn him into a vampire.
Shoes...

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9401 on: July 23, 2017, 07:53:54 pm »

Peter Thiel is the guy from 30 Days of Night who let the vampires in and then was the only one surprised when they didn't actually turn him into a vampire.

Were they liberal vampires?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9402 on: July 23, 2017, 09:26:53 pm »

Were they liberal vampires?
All vampires are liberal, most liberals are vampires, occasionally werebeasts or other less common mythological creatures.

Neolibs are C.H.U.D.s because fuck it why not give a shout-out to a shitty movie older than many voters?

Neocons are unicorns... no, not the sweet innocent magical ones, the Lovecraftian carnivorous rape-y ones.

Comey on the other hand, as a blast from the past, is a massive douchebag-richaun, unlike a leprechaun he just has a bucket of hypocrisy and sweaty jockstraps at the end of a failbow. That whole thing about investigating an email server which wasn't shielded against outside access?
Good for the goose but not the gander I guess?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9403 on: July 23, 2017, 11:18:22 pm »

I'm not sure about the outrage inherent to that article. It's fairly succinct. It lays out the current situation accurately, and except for leaning slightly on the side of government in pulling the "scary ISIL is a reason you shouldn't have privacy" line still acknowledges that as a people we might decide either way, in favor or against privacy and whatever that decision it be followed.

Not trying to defend him too hard, but I don't blame the man for wanting to make his job easier when his job is ostensibly protecting people. I'm not a fan of government breaking encryption, and other things he's said have scared me more. But that particular article really doesn't push any buttons for me.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9404 on: July 23, 2017, 11:36:54 pm »

The health of a coal miner has an inverse relation with the amount of coal mined, but in a capitalist system they must mine more coal to receive treatment. Inherent flaw in the assignment of value.

I defy anyone to name a single problem with communism that isn't neatly resolved by replacing humans with self-improving algorithms. (kek)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 11:40:15 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 625 626 [627] 628 629 ... 3568