Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625 626 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4243437 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: The Russian shoe deepens
« Reply #9345 on: July 21, 2017, 07:08:21 pm »

I think we need a new title to commemorate Sean's passing.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9346 on: July 21, 2017, 07:21:38 pm »

Sean, but not forgotten...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9347 on: July 21, 2017, 07:26:25 pm »

Trump left the Sean
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9348 on: July 21, 2017, 07:31:02 pm »

Sean Spicer is dead, long live Sean Milder.
Man, as much as I appreciate it, considering everything I'm not 100% sure that line of joviality is appropriate. Let us avoid any more questionable deaths for the foreseeable ever.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9349 on: July 21, 2017, 07:59:26 pm »

Sean Spicer is dead, long live Sean Milder.

Sad!
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9350 on: July 21, 2017, 09:35:40 pm »

I don't really give a shit either way, but I would like to point out that the easiest way to make someone believe something is to make them think they overheard a secret... Not saying that s what is happening here (it probably isn't), just that you need to take intercepts with a large grain of salt.

Also, what kind of irresponsible idiot is publicising that we can intercept this stuff? I mean, it probably isn't a surprise to anyone, but why confirm the capability?
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9351 on: July 21, 2017, 09:45:13 pm »

Seems awfully convenient that this is being "revealed" shortly after Trump has criticised Sessions.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9352 on: July 21, 2017, 09:46:44 pm »

Also, what kind of irresponsible idiot is publicising that we can intercept this stuff? I mean, it probably isn't a surprise to anyone, but why confirm the capability?
Everybody can intercept data. Any form of electronic information transfer can be freely or near-freely observed and recorded, that's one of the basic concepts of cybersecurity. The real game is encryption breaking and social engineering to make that data comprehensible.

And as we saw with Donald Jr not too long ago, some people are just boneheaded.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9353 on: July 21, 2017, 11:28:19 pm »

Sean 'Spicey' Spicer resigned. This is breaking news, and the article is so short I'll just copy the whole text here.
Quote from: NY Times
WASHINGTON — Sean Spicer, the White House press secretary, resigned on Friday morning, telling President Trump he vehemently disagreed with the appointment of the New York financier Anthony Scaramucci as communications director.

Mr. Trump offered Mr. Scaramucci the job at 10 a.m. The president requested that Mr. Spicer stay on, but Mr. Spicer told Mr. Trump that he believed the appointment was a major mistake, according to a person with direct knowledge of the exchange.
Politico has a little on who Anthony Scaramucci is, although most of the article was written before the resignation.

Spicer was supposed to be a Priebus loyalist, I believe. Most interesting.

Given that he used to be the communications director under Priebus, it's not surprising. Also, all this talk of loyalties is dumb, like we are talking about feuding factions of some royal court. Loyalty isn't supposed to be a thing in play in the white house, at least not the way that it's been thrown about.

You'd be wrong, heh. Presidential pardons are specifically limited to federal crimes (and just about everyone under potential fire for stuff related to that dirt is very much in the cross hairs of a lot more than federal level crimes), and an attempt at self-pardon has both never happened and is pretty sketchy from a legal perspective.

There's also some pretty substantial issues to being pardoned that makes it kinda' chancy, honestly. It's generally considered an admission of guilt, ehehe.
...but the only alternative to a federal crime is a state crime?  Nixon and Bill Clinton were both pardoned, just not by themselves.

Edit: As for the president pardoning himself its considered a legal grey area.  The constitution's wording doesn't forbid it, so it would almost 100% go to the supreme court.

Bill Clinton was accquitted, not pardoned. I guess one could argue that the idea is the same, but a pardon is only if one committed a federal crime, as others said.

And pardoning himself would be extremely wierd and also a blatant abuse of power.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9354 on: July 21, 2017, 11:44:53 pm »

If Obama's excuse regarding Snowden holds any water, you can't be pardoned until you're convicted either. That was his primary excuse for why he didn't pardon Snowden as did (sort of) with Manning. Manning had her day in court and was convicted, Snowden still hasn't been to trial.

Makes sense, even if it might have simply been an excuse to not show any leniency to Snowden. But seems like Trump would have to be found guilty of something in a court before pardons could be passed out. He can't just immunize himself just in case they throw something at him that managed to stick.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9355 on: July 21, 2017, 11:57:54 pm »

I don't really give a shit either way, but I would like to point out that the easiest way to make someone believe something is to make them think they overheard a secret... Not saying that s what is happening here (it probably isn't), just that you need to take intercepts with a large grain of salt.

We've been tapping ambassadors communications with their home countries since forever, and the article says that ambassadors and diplomats sometimes use false or misleading communications to confuse US intel. Why would they do that if they didn't know that we have the capability?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 12:35:45 am by smjjames »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9356 on: July 22, 2017, 12:18:56 am »

Yeah well, it's rude to not at least pretend your are not doing it...

You don't just blurt things like that out. Sure, everyone listens to everyone else, but you don't want to advertise how much you actually heard, or how much you could decrypt, even if you are sure the other guys already know.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9357 on: July 22, 2017, 12:31:56 am »

Yeah well, it's rude to not at least pretend your are not doing it...

You don't just blurt things like that out. Sure, everyone listens to everyone else, but you don't want to advertise how much you actually heard, or how much you could decrypt, even if you are sure the other guys already know.

True that, and we already know that he lied under oath, he already did it once, and he was under suspicion for talking about campaign stuff with Kisliyak.

Still, funny that it's being leaked, or "revealed" as hector said, so soon after Trump publicly took his frustration out at Sessions.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9358 on: July 22, 2017, 01:44:54 am »

If Obama's excuse regarding Snowden holds any water, you can't be pardoned until you're convicted either. That was his primary excuse for why he didn't pardon Snowden as did (sort of) with Manning. Manning had her day in court and was convicted, Snowden still hasn't been to trial.

Makes sense, even if it might have simply been an excuse to not show any leniency to Snowden. But seems like Trump would have to be found guilty of something in a court before pardons could be passed out. He can't just immunize himself just in case they throw something at him that managed to stick.

It is of course, NONSENSE.  There is precedent that blows it out of the water.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardon_of_Richard_Nixon

This was before Tricky Dick could even enter a courtroom concerning his infamous scandal. The Obaminator was lying. It is NOT a requirement.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9359 on: July 22, 2017, 01:53:14 am »

Sean 'Spicey' Spicer resigned. This is breaking news, and the article is so short I'll just copy the whole text here.
Quote from: NY Times
WASHINGTON — Sean Spicer, the White House press secretary, resigned on Friday morning, telling President Trump he vehemently disagreed with the appointment of the New York financier Anthony Scaramucci as communications director.

Mr. Trump offered Mr. Scaramucci the job at 10 a.m. The president requested that Mr. Spicer stay on, but Mr. Spicer told Mr. Trump that he believed the appointment was a major mistake, according to a person with direct knowledge of the exchange.
Politico has a little on who Anthony Scaramucci is, although most of the article was written before the resignation.

Spicer was supposed to be a Priebus loyalist, I believe. Most interesting.

Given that he used to be the communications director under Priebus, it's not surprising. Also, all this talk of loyalties is dumb, like we are talking about feuding factions of some royal court. Loyalty isn't supposed to be a thing in play in the white house, at least not the way that it's been thrown about.

You read what Comey wrote before his hearing, right? About Trump asking for loyalty?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625 626 ... 3568