Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 3570

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4256140 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Comey testifies in front of Congress
« Reply #8640 on: June 29, 2017, 07:39:48 pm »

How come the centre is mostly Republican while the left and right are mostly Democrat?

EDIT: I'm talking about geographically.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8641 on: June 29, 2017, 07:44:33 pm »

The East and West Coast are heavily urbanized, while most of the middle of the country is heavily rural (still plenty of cities, but Boswash-style sprawls are rare). Cities tend to lean left, and rural areas tend to lean right - this is exacerbated by many of the biggest college towns being located in the heavily urbanized areas, as a lot of US colleges have a heavy leftward slant.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8642 on: June 29, 2017, 07:46:11 pm »

How come the centre is mostly Republican while the left and right are mostly Democrat?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8643 on: June 29, 2017, 07:49:55 pm »

You mean the MidWest vs the Coasts? That's the Rural/Urban divide you're seeing there. Democrats are more concentrated in the cities and suburbs while Republicans are more in rural. The biggest concentrations of urban areas are along the coasts while there are a lot more of the small towns/small cities and rural areas in between. Obviously there are Democrats and Republicans in both places, but the Rural/Urban sorting is real.

edit: How did I get ninja'd lol.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #8644 on: June 29, 2017, 08:12:53 pm »

Which itself is largely driven by transport networks. Immigration came via the coasts; rocky mountains blocking the north-west, Appalachian mountains blocking the north-east. South-west is basically desert. From the south, you can ride the Mississippi river north from Louisiana all the way to Minnesota, or hook a right on the Ohio river to access the midwest. To the west of the Mississippi, things go all flat and the rivers become a bit more sparse. So the middle ends up as a highly isolated place with incredibly long travel times to actual civilization.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8645 on: June 29, 2017, 08:13:59 pm »

Don't listen to these hacks Andres, this whole "urban/rural" thing is just the party line story that colleges push on people. The real reason the center of the nation is Republican is because Ayn Rand's corpse was sunk in the Yellowstone Caldera. Though she was bodily killed after five years of war, her mind somehow endured to spread the Objectivist mind virus through people's dreams.

The fiery heart of Yellowstone did not kill her either, but it did dampen her screaming consciousness, now resulting for most only in a bias towards Republican Party policies. This is not helped by the Democrats refusing to allocate any significant funding towards dealing with the neo-Objectivist raiders, which turns a lot of people living in the center into single-issue voters.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8646 on: June 30, 2017, 02:27:07 am »

I have always loved the whole "REAL civilization" type rhetoric-- like any group of people who form an organized society is not "real civilization"-- No, it always boils down to "They have organized differently than OUR group has, and have different views and opinions-- our group is bigger than theirs, so obviously, OURS is the REAL civilization!!" in its mindset.

Such thinking of course, gave us the native american genocide, because east coast natives, despite living in freaking log cabins, and having written language, were of course "heathen savages" because they were less powerful than the Europeans, who naturally thought that living in abject servitude to a single person who just inherited the position by privileged birth was the only TRUE civilization-- Then, it was of course, the emancipated new American culture, who felt that of course, THEIRS was the only TRUE civilization, and continued the genocide westwards...

So no. Sorry kids. The people in the midwest have different opinions and different needs, which is why the culture there is different. That does not mean they are ignorant savages, or in any way less a part of modern civilization.

Long rant short-- Please refrain from using the phrase "real civilization"-- Thanks.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8647 on: June 30, 2017, 02:43:22 am »

I have always loved the whole "REAL civilization" type rhetoric-- like any group of people who form an organized society is not "real civilization"-- No, it always boils down to "They have organized differently than OUR group has, and have different views and opinions-- our group is bigger than theirs, so obviously, OURS is the REAL civilization!!" in its mindset.

Such thinking of course, gave us the native american genocide, because east coast natives, despite living in freaking log cabins, and having written language, were of course "heathen savages" because they were less powerful than the Europeans, who naturally thought that living in abject servitude to a single person who just inherited the position by privileged birth was the only TRUE civilization-- Then, it was of course, the emancipated new American culture, who felt that of course, THEIRS was the only TRUE civilization, and continued the genocide westwards...

So no. Sorry kids. The people in the midwest have different opinions and different needs, which is why the culture there is different. That does not mean they are ignorant savages, or in any way less a part of modern civilization.

Long rant short-- Please refrain from using the phrase "real civilization"-- Thanks.

Says the only man using the phrase "real civilization" in the thread.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8648 on: June 30, 2017, 02:49:29 am »

Says the only man using the phrase "real civilization" in the thread.

Pedant ahoy!!

Which itself is largely driven by transport networks. Immigration came via the coasts; rocky mountains blocking the north-west, Appalachian mountains blocking the north-east. South-west is basically desert. From the south, you can ride the Mississippi river north from Louisiana all the way to Minnesota, or hook a right on the Ohio river to access the midwest. To the west of the Mississippi, things go all flat and the rivers become a bit more sparse. So the middle ends up as a highly isolated place with incredibly long travel times to actual civilization.

Can I has apology now?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8649 on: June 30, 2017, 02:52:51 am »

*Grudgingly agree*

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8650 on: June 30, 2017, 04:37:06 am »

Between the democratic and Republican party... which one is growing their members faster? (I am assuming neither of them are having negative growth)

By members I mean... Voter base >_>

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8651 on: June 30, 2017, 05:25:33 am »

Far as I'm aware it's still the dems, at the moment. Part of that is because the GOP's base is largely older (i.e. it's dying more), part because of minority/immigrant growth,* part just because it's easier to get kids up and going where there's more population (on the net if not per individual family, anyway), part who knows what else I'm forgetting/missing. It's not a huge, you're going to be (more) outnumbered tomorrow kinda' thing, but it's still fairly observable. If it weren't for the fact that many urban votes are massively devalued compared to rural ones our elections (primarily POTUS, but there'd be others, too) would be looking rather different, heh.

*Though this one is arguably the one most likely to change, assuming republicans ever manage to pull their head out of their ass on the xenophobia and bigotry, or they figure out how to play one group off another (e.g. florida cuban demographic last year). Conceptually gets more likely as the years pass, as more of the most jackass of the GOP die off and the US racial mix keeps trucking towards there no longer being a majority racial demographic.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8652 on: June 30, 2017, 05:50:19 am »

What is that old saying? You need a Liberal Heart and a Conservative Mind?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8653 on: June 30, 2017, 05:59:01 am »

I'm pretty sure that the old saying is that only Elite Liberal Heart defends against Arch-Conservative Wisdom.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8654 on: June 30, 2017, 06:18:08 am »

Don't listen to these hacks Andres, this whole "urban/rural" thing is just the party line story that colleges push on people. The real reason the center of the nation is Republican is because Ayn Rand's corpse was sunk in the Yellowstone Caldera. Though she was bodily killed after five years of war, her mind somehow endured to spread the Objectivist mind virus through people's dreams.

The fiery heart of Yellowstone did not kill her either, but it did dampen her screaming consciousness, now resulting for most only in a bias towards Republican Party policies. This is not helped by the Democrats refusing to allocate any significant funding towards dealing with the neo-Objectivist raiders, which turns a lot of people living in the center into single-issue voters.
I love the idea of Ayn Rand suffering in fire and confinement eternally, headcannon-head-canon accepted!
Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 3570